Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Ok, trying to understand 1 x 10…
  • chiefgrooveguru

Running 36/22 11-34 I found myself using the granny at least a few times on every ride, if not more. When I switched to 32/22 11-34 to solve some poor shifting and chainsuck problems I found I didn’t use the granny for the next dozen rides, hence I got rid of it and the shifter/mech and added an N-Gear Jump Stop. I’m no uphill speed demon but I can spin reasonably fast and have fairly big thighs so it works for me!

Try swapping your 36 for a 32 and see how many rides you get through before you resort to the granny, then you’ll know if 1×9 or 1×10 is workable for you.

njee20
    Free Member

yeah but a beasting is a beasting, if you do plenty of rides when you’re on your arse for the last couple of hours….well I for one would like the easy option to be available

But whilst some may struggle on a certain ride (and be glad of a 32 or a 22) others will be fine!

Try swapping your 36 for a 32 and see how many rides you get through before you resort to the granny, then you’ll know if 1×9 or 1×10 is workable for you.

Do your stop screws on your mech too so you have to stop and adjust to get into it, unless you’re very strong willed you’ll just bail out into it if it’s there, whereas you’d probably just push on with a single ring.

D0NK

But whilst some may struggle on a certain ride

no “certain ride” I just meant going out and destroying yourself immaterial of whether other faster/fitter/slower riders are with you, riding til you can’t ride anymore and then riding the 15miles home 🙂

But I’m arguing semantics/defining my point, as we both agree the pros/cons of 1×10 are a personal thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Scamper
    Free Member

I’m far from fit but after swapping from a tripple, then to a 22/36 double and now to 1×9 11-34 32, there is not much i can’t get up where I ride. And i’m not bothered about spinning out on the road, but its fine for a steady pace. Had to lighten the bike to help compensate, mind but moreover think more about how i ride and use my gears.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ok think my decision is final then 🙂

Does anybody know if my Saint rear derailleur will be fine with 10 speed?

Also, the difference between 1 x 9 and 1 x 10 with the same front chainring, does the 10 give an extra lower gear, or an extra higher?

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

Does anybody know if my Saint rear derailleur will be fine with 10 speed?

No, you need a 10 speed specific rear mech, or a road flat bar 10 speed shifter.

Also, the difference between 1 x 9 and 1 x 10 with the same front chainring, does the 10 give an extra lower gear, or an extra higher?

Potentially either, but generally low. You can get an HG50 9 speed cassette in 12-36 (but they weigh a ton), or various cassettes in 11-34, 10 speed comes in 11-36.

PaulD
    Free Member

Personal it truly is, but have you considered going 1.5×10?

Leave the granny ring on and chose the 1×10 that looks ideal.

Remove front shifter, cable and Mech.

Granny and bolts = ~30grams.

Use your right heel to kick-down to engage granny and cruise the lung-buster.

Put chain on the larger chainring manually at the top whilst getting breath/eating/drinking.

Too simple?

PaulD

cookeaa

Potentially either, but generally low. You can get an HG50 9 speed cassette in 12-36 (but they weigh a ton), or various cassettes in 11-34, 10 speed comes in 11-36.

You could cobble together an 11-36 9spd without too much difficulty…

Does a saint mech stretch far enough for a 36t sprocket?
    —————————————
    hold on does that mean that

This: Tiagra 10spd flat bar shifter

plus

This: SLX 10spd Cassette

And my current 9spd SLX mech would allow me to run 1 x 10 without needing to buy a new “Proper” 10spd rear mech? or would I need to go buying new jockey wheels?… Might just be easier to go 1 x 9

PaulD
    Free Member

c,

You can substitute the 12T for an 11T with its specific lockring for a 9-speed Deore based 11-36T ‘brick’.
    Saint will cover a 36T sprocket.
    The Tiagra 10-speed bar shifter will drive the Saint for a 10-speed cassette.
    Jockey wheels will be OK with a 9 or 10-sp chain.

So, what about my 1.5×9/10 idea?

PaulD

njee20
    Free Member

No chain guide, so the chain will be all over the place.

You can substitute the 12T for an 11T with its specific lockring for a 9-speed Deore based 11-36T ‘brick’.
    Saint will cover a 36T sprocket.

But you then end up with a jump in the block, right where you don’t want it.

hold on does that mean that

This: Tiagra 10spd flat bar shifter

plus

This: SLX 10spd Cassette

And my current 9spd SLX mech would allow me to run 1 x 10 without needing to buy a new “Proper” 10spd rear mech?

Correct.

cookeaa

But you then end up with a jump in the block, right where you don’t want it.

Standard HG61 goes: 12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36

switch the 12 for an 11 and you get a 3 tooth step at the tall end, hefty I suppose but then that cassette already has several 3 and 4 tooth steps from the middle to the top the fact is that any 1xn drive train will need to have big steps in the gearing to get that wide range, 10spd doesn’t cure this either.

I could be tempted to bastardise an HG61 as it’s the absolute cheapest route for me to get an 11-36 cassette, but I can certainly also see it being less than ideal for the type of riding I do and I’d only wind up reverting to 2 x 9 until something a touch broader ranged becomes more widely available…

njee20
    Free Member

10spd doesn’t cure this either.

Not strictly, you always have bigger jumps at the top, but the gaps are much ‘nicer’ with a 10 speed 11-36 cassette: 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36

If you’re happy with that jump then a bodge certainly will work.

juan
    Free Member

Well I can’t see why you couldn’t use a 9spd mech with a 10 speed shifter.

rootes1

There isn’t any 9-36 cassette / hub in production right now. Widest available is 11-36, unless you go custom at £70 per sprocket and get massive 37/38/39/40 tooth dinner plates.

Shimano capreo is 9-26t (9speed) but requires the capreo freehub – this might fit other shimano hubs.. you could by muxing cassettes built a 9-36

though 11-36 should be enough!

njee20
    Free Member

Well I can’t see why you couldn’t use a 9spd mech with a 10 speed shifter.

Different cable pull, same reason you can’t mix SRAM/Shimano. However 10 speed road is the same as 9 speed MTB, so they’re cross compatible.

Shimano capreo is 9-26t (9speed) but requires the capreo freehub – this might fit other shimano hubs..

Nah, axle and everything is different, and as the freehub’s a different diamter you can’t combine with ‘normal’ sprockets to get a lower gear.

I like what Hope are doing, but I can’t help but think the chain will feel horrific on a 9t sprocket.

cookeaa

Well if the hope cassette ever get to maket 9-36 equates to a 400% gearing range where 11-36 is a piffling 327%…

Capreo is intended for HPV/20″ folder bikes and is a miniature nightmare for MTB use due to the special freehub body and the fact that you are stuck with the bottom 3 sprockets (9-10-11) theres a company called ICE doing a special 135mm spaced capreo cassette compatible hub* for ~£90 but then you have to buy a Capreo 9-26 cassette (~£55) and then either pull apart some other 9 speed cassettes or order single sprockets to assemble a bigger range one. So i actually winds up costing a small fortune!
    so far as I know the best anyone has managed is a cobbled together 9-34t (9speed) apparently, which sound great but isn’t really much of a range improvement over 11-36 is it…

*(Shimano don’t do a disc hub for capreo, and although I’ve seen it suggested that a Capreo free hub could be cobbled onto a shimano disc hub, I’ve not heard or seen any real evidence of it really being done…

Specialized had a test bike using a capreo based 9-34? cassette knocking about over a year ago now (Article still on pinkbike I think) but again that was a custom FH body machined for them by DT….

It’s certainly mechanically possible but Shimano themselves clearly are not going to make it easy to get a 9-36t 400% cassette and everything else out there looks like a relatively expensive bodge…

Nope the Hope concept is actually the “Best” way to achieve it, but you still can’t buy bloody one.

juan
    Free Member

Different cable pull

I didn’t knew that. I better start stocking on 9 spd parts then.

njee20
    Free Member

Sure they’ll still be available for a long while – or you can just use 10 speed road stuff!

Nope the Hope concept is actually the “Best” way to achieve it, but you still can’t buy bloody one.

I’d rather see 11-38 I reckon, really not sure what a 9t would feel like.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

I tried resisting the urge to drop to my 24t inner from a 32t middle (11-36 cass) – when I first got my 5 with it’s 10 speed gearing. Whilst it was possible for me to ride most stuff around here (morzine, lifts closed), I would only ever be able to do it if I was either one my own, or totally unsociable and ride off the front of the group I was with – the time spent waiting at the top was also spent getting my heart rate back down to normal!

Then I thought to myself – fxxk it, I’ll stick with 2×10 thanks. If I lived in Dorking then it might make more sense for 1×10, or if it was an Enduro race bike perhaps… but other than that, I like my knees too much to get drawn into it. The 9-36 hope cassette does look promising though… could drop down to a 30t ring and be done with it.

My patriot on the other hand is 1×9 and only comes out when there’s uplifts involved. Then the climbs aren’t so long or it’s hike a bike territory.

cookeaa

Thing is if you want the same gearing range that a 9-36 would offer but keeping an 11t as the smallest sprocket, you’d have to got up to 44T at other end to achieve the same range on a single cassette…

Effectively that means 2 teeth off the bottom is worth 8 more at the top, literally dinner plate terretory, theres always going to be issues surrounding chain wrap, frictional losses, wear and drive efficiency but you’re not actually going to pedal everywhere on that 9T sprocket are you, and TBH I doubt it’s actually noticably worse than an 11T

You’ll extend the available gearing range, mechs don’t need to get any bigger, weights stay about the same (possibly go down a tad) and we’re all that little bit closer to 1xn Nirvana, Hurrah!

All we have to do is make one already quite small part a wee bit tinyer…

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Ok, trying to understand 1 x 10…’ is closed to new replies.