Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • OK to ride with not broken ribs?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve torn that stuff between the ribs? it hurts like hell when driving and laying down but not so much on the bike.
    Can it do any harm if I ride?
    Doctor said to lay off…. the crazy fool.

So they’re not busted. Ironically it was when I took some painkillers to help me sleep that I woke up and stretched, and something went snap/squelch the sound even woke my missus up and I nearly fainted like a girl.

I’m tempted.

oldgit
    Free Member

Please God don’t suggest any more turbo sessions.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Go try it? It will hurt, you will cry like a big girl.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Torn intercostal muscles or costal cartildge?

Not that it makes a huge amount of difference – you might delay healing and if you fall off on then you could do more damage

No hard an fast answer that I know of

jedi

painkillers and ride on!

oldgit
    Free Member

Intercostal that’s the one. Originally I had only ‘hurt’ myself in the crash, if I had’nt taken painkillers I would’nt have stretched and torn them.
    See pain is there for a reason.

johnners
    Free Member

They can take 6 weeks+ to heal in my experience – are you happy not to bike for that long? Thought not.

Just be careful, dial back the foolishness a bit.

jedi

intercoastal damage is common in crashes.painkillers or not

mybike
    Free Member

I too am enjoying the pain of rib bashing, hurts more to get up in the morning or sneeze than ride.
    I have been popping pills & riding ……… then moaning the morning after 😳

Haze

Same here! Thought it was ribs at first but I’m pretty sure it’s something else around that area.

Had a few weeks off (commuting only) then rode Llandegla t’other day, all was fine & it didn’t seem to be aggravate anything.

Still hurts more in the morning though, regardless of whether or not I’ve ridden & sneezing is a nightmare!

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d say lay off the more exciting riding for a bit to get the healing started and then slowly but surely get back into it. Anything involving heavy breathing will break you so avoid it anyway and feel less ashamed 😛

trailmonkey

IME, doing everything hurts after a rib job. Riding your bike won’t make much difference unless you land on them again or try to be a hero on out of the saddle climbs.
    Take it easy and get some endorphins to aid recovery 8)

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I cracked 2 ribs in the Wyre Forest last weekend and my Doctor says its ok to ride just take pain killers and don’t fall off!

oldgit
    Free Member

Right I’m out for a ride tomorow, can’t decide on or off yet but both bikes have been buffed to perfection.

Truth is am I more likely to be overtaken while I mince along on the road bike or mountainbike, pride is at stake here.

alpin
    Free Member

i had a fall before xmas. went over the bars and had the end of the bar stab me in the ribs. felt fine. jumped up, got back on bike a carried on.

went riding three days later and it was fine. two days after that and it hurt like hell. it hurt to get up out of bed. it hurt to pick things up. it hurt doing just about everything but, strangly it didn’t hurt when riding the bike (round town). so on that saturday we rode from 400m upto 1500m. going up wasn’t too bad. knew ribs were there but it was bareable. but going down with the thud-thud-thud and bouncing down. after about 10 mins i couldn’t go any further. ended up descending on the road back into the valley.

strange things ribs.

oldgit
    Free Member

Nope too painfull had to turn back.
    Just riding along and even the bumps were alright, but anything that I needed to balance my body on hurt like hell. The worst section was crossing a wet muddy section were logging vehicles had been, trying to counteract all the sliping and sliding finished me off.
    The road bike should be fine.

showerman
    Free Member

few years back did the south downs over 2days within the first 10 min was over the bars and done the left ribs in. carried on hard to sleep at night even harder to ride (no pain killers for me). did me no harm but never fell off again for a little while 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘OK to ride with not broken ribs?’ is closed to new replies.