Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • OK STW erudites, identify this building please…
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

We recently came across this at the side of a mountain road in the Sidobre region of Tarn (Midi-Pyrénées, France):

Here are the sinks (for want of a better word) inside:

Any ideas?

Drac

Just a water supply I’d say.

scaredypants

spring & water trough ?

edit, BAH !!

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s a lavoir (laverie) innit. A place where ladies gathered to wash clothes.

Edited

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d cuncur with the above, the structure might also have been used for washing clothes.
    *MUST TYPE FASTER*

oldgit
    Free Member

Looks like the washing things you see in the villages?

Or the gateway to Hell.

scaredypants

oh yeah, gateway to hell – that’s it. knew I’d seen it somewhere

TuckerUK
    Free Member

It’s a lavoir (laverie) innit. A place where ladies gathered to wash clothes.

Thank you, I shall inform my in-laws who reside in Tarn and couldn’t tell me.

Oddly, we didn’t see evidence of habitation near, although there may have been some homes one or two levels up on the twisty road.

julianwilson
    Free Member

It may have been sited there because the water supply was there, and people from other directions may have been used to a good old hike to get there.

In terms of economics/logistics, before proper running water came to my nan’s village in the 20’s/30’s (remote Pyrenees, mostly poor farm labourers) they had a population of 1200 or so and only 2 of those plus a few hand pumps around the village. They both still ‘work’ now, though one is not reccomended for drinking out of now and no one does their washing in them anymore.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Ah, that’s interesting. Thanks very much for that Julian.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘OK STW erudites, identify this building please…’ is closed to new replies.