Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Ok so what good reliable 4×4 and not look like a chav
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just not sure about the security of bikes in a pickup

You can buy them with snug tops, roller blinds or similar. I’m not sure there are many with a 3 tonne towing capacity tho.

geoffj

I’m not sure there are many with a 3 tonne towing capacity tho.

My 07 ranger is plated at more than 3000 kgs towing capacity

RV
    Free Member

I’ve had a L200 Animal for the last 4 years, done me fine and very much like a Shogun inside. it’s for sale at the moment as i have a new car. 56 reg, 56k on clock, just had cam belt done, FSH, auto blah blah blah. As it’s a euro 4 car the road tax is only £130 a year. No vat as I’ve had it as a family car since it came from Mitsi so no hard work, just trips to the alps in winter and summer. £10k (locking truckman top)

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got an Isuzu pickup. They have a 3 tonne towing capacity and I get over 30mpg in mine.

I’ve got a truck top. That makes it as secure as an anything else and the tie down points make handy hard points for a chain.

With the top on I can get one complete bike or two bikes in with the front wheels removed or 3 with both wheels off.

andyl
    Free Member

3.5T really narrows the choices. I was looking at Toyota Hiaces as a less expensive option to a Discovery but the towing capacity is lacking.

You are looking at Landrovers, Toyota Landcruiser, Nissan Patrol and the likes. Also watch out for auto boxes as they may have a lower towing capacity than the manual version.

have you thought about a Range Rover? The can be found cheaper than Defenders and Discos and a lot have never been off road.

zokes
    Free Member

The roads here are fine in the end no real need for anything mental (don’t tell the locals)

Depends which roads 😉

I doubt the Mitsi will pull 3 Tonnes – they’re limited to 2.8T here in Oz (and seem to struggle with that!)

Most pickups are actually around the 2.2-2.8T capacity actually, so you are quite limited. IIRC, can’t cherokees pull horses?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Navara Double Cab is 2.6T, which is enough for our 2T boat and trailer.

Also, don’t know any standard 4×4 that would make you look like a chav?.

timbur
    Free Member

Diahatsu Fourtrak.
    A blunt instrument but very effective!

elzorillo
    Free Member

Another Mitsi L200 owner here.. the tow limit is 2700kg.

br
    Free Member

tbh If its horses, just buy her a 3.5t van-based Horse Box instead.

We got a Ducato based one a couple of years ago. Far easier than messing with towing and you can leave everything inside. Like this:

http://www.pembrokeshire4x4.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?urn=650

Cheap tax/insurance and low depreciation. Plus perfect MTB carrier and pit-bus.

mightymule
    Free Member

Just about to say same as b r.

For 2 horses, buy a second hand lorry.

matttromans
    Free Member

How about a VW Toureg? Not chavy, comfy, and (if my very quick google search is to be belived) has a towing capacity of 3.5t – I seem to remember a Top Gear episode where one of these pulled a 747, or a combine harvester…

dashed
    Free Member

Two decent size horses you’ll need a big 4×4 and not a pick up. Good towing practice is to keep below 85% of the tow vehicles weight… Regardless of what figure the manufacturer says the vehicle can pull in a straight line on a dry test track.

You don’t want something that slews all over the road when a lorry overtakes you on the motorway – been some nasty accidents with horseboxes under such circumstance.

kristoff
    Free Member

If you want to tow 3.5t with a 4×4 you have very limited choices.

Vw touareg,
    Mercedes M class,
    Land rover Discovery 3/4,
    Range rover,
    Range rover sport.

Despite the unreliability that can occur (not always) with a discovery there is a reason they keep getting awarded best 4×4 by caravan magazines.

P20

For 3t it’s either a landie or a ford ranger. I’d go for the ranger

billyblackheart
    Free Member

I can’t stop giggling at the photo of a Pick-Up truck with a bike rack on the back.

I think that sums up missing the point.

I would go with a Series IIA but that’s simply for nostalgia not practicality.

trail_rat
    Free Member

despite being a big fan of the green oval from a legacy point of view. and a hater of VW after a bad experiance.

unless i could afford a full fat brand new rangey and could afford to trade in every 3 years.

id have the touareg out of the lot , my colleagues v6 touregs a much nicer place to be and much less garish and in your face than my other colleagues RR sport.

seba560
    Free Member

pictonroad

and a smaller horse, rated at 2500kg’s (even the California 4 motion)

badllama
    Free Member

I’ve picked up a Shotgun Sport was looking at L200s but though a car was better for storing day to day stuff in out of sight.

I’m well please can get 2 bikes in with the front wheels off but just got a maxxraxx ( http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/products.html ) for the back so more of us can go out at the same time and stops getting all the S%&* in the car after a ride. 😀

andyl
    Free Member

Trailer I want to be able to tow: http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/livestock/ta510?tab=details

Only allowed to tow the small 750kg ones at the moment though 🙁

psling
    Free Member

MarkLG
    Free Member

Older vw touareg can pull 3.5t (not so sure about the latest version). Proper 4×4 with low range, diff lock, etc. can’t say mine has been the most reliable car I’ve owned though…
    Nissan pathfinders/navarras are one of the most reliable trucks on the road.
    Not sure what a Land Cruiser will pull, but that would be my first choice if I really needed another big 4×4.

mulv1976
    Free Member
    orangeboy
    Free Member

I’d not given the touareg a thought but that would be a nice bit of comfort after the denfender and anything would be more reliable.

I need to check exactly how much weight the box and animals come too
    With the defender it did no matter to much as it rated to 3.5t so loads of margin

I tried to get her a lorry rather than trailer but she wanted the defender

Maybe a newer tdci 110 is the answer

trail_rat
    Free Member

oooft if anything its older 300tdi you want not a tdci … puma engines awful and the box isnt much better

br
    Free Member

orangeboy

The old 7.5t lorries can be naff, but our Ducato is more like driving a car, and +30mpg (laden or unladen – doesn’t seem to impact it).

We got it rather than upgrade her car, as while her current Freelander will (and can) tow a box + 2 horses (and all the associated gear), its a bit marginal in hilly terrain. The van has compartments to carry saddles and all the tack plus a wardrobe and changing area.

Plus, and its a big plus, can be driven by anyone with a car licence.

orangeboy
    Free Member

What’s worse is used I have a master that got sold to buy the rover
    Should have just converted that. Oh well

Thought you could not use a freelander for a box plus two horses legally

trail_rat
    Free Member

freelander can legally only take slightly over a tonne – although i watched a fella pass me towing a disco 1(just over 2 tonne) on a transporter trailer with one …. was a scary looking manuver.

br
    Free Member

Thought you could not use a freelander for a box plus two horses legally

Lightweight trailer and 2 slim lads (ie bloody expensive horses!), but I use to warn her if she got pulled onto a weighbridge she’d need to do ‘favours’ 🙂

Towing capacity of 2 tonne.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Maybe try reducing the towing weight….

orangeboy
    Free Member

Cool thanks all. You have been great as always

dashed
    Free Member

Like I said before, towing capacity not the same as stability… 85% rule is never factored into towing capacity figures. You do not want a trailer and two horses over turning on the motorway. Or any road for that matter.

br
    Free Member

Kia Sorrento is only 2500kgs.

tymbian
    Free Member

Ford F250 – for towing and any other heavy-duty business.

Ford F150 Lighting – for shits n giggles

zokes
    Free Member

Nissan pathfinders/navarras are one of the most reliable trucks on the road.

Well, that being the case, I dread to think how poor the other makes are. Our works Navarra spends most of its time in the garage. Same goes for the ones at other sites according to our fleet manager.

freelander can legally only take slightly over a tonne – although i watched a fella pass me towing a disco 1(just over 2 tonne) on a transporter trailer with one …. was a scary looking manuver.

Freelander 2 tows 2 tonnes braked

oooft if anything its older 300tdi you want not a tdci … puma engines awful and the box isnt much better

Depends whether you’re after a tractor, or a more modern fuel efficient and far more torquey engine. Having driven a 300, TD5 and Puma, I’m glad it’s the Puma they now make

orangeboy
    Free Member

Low down grunt is not the td5 strong point
    Even worse as ours is an early one with very poor anti stall
    On the plus side it has to be the least depreciating car I’ve ever had and
    Been very impressed with the stability of the 110 for towing

MarkLG
    Free Member

I actually meant to put navaras are the most unreliable trucks on the road 😀
    Our company bought about six, two of which self destructed, the rest have been nowt but trouble.

timber

Most Jap stuff doesn’t go beyond 3t.
    Replace enough bits and you’ll eventually have a reliable LR, although if you’re not too far down the line just trade for another and hope that aint a lemon too. Early TD5 had really bad throttle response too, crap for pulling out juncctions loaded.
    110 far better tow than 90, especially if it has heavy duty springs.
    I run a 130 at work, TD5 was fine, replaced with 2.4TDCI, different but still good + decent heater. Spends plenty of time towing around wood, diggers, tractors, implements and up to its sills in muck.

Got a new hi-lux at work, piece of crap couldn’t pull the skin off custard and the caddy van is better in a wet grassy field.

andyl – get a twin axle rather than a triple if you need to manouvere in tight spaces, triples scrub and twist badly in small yards, IWT do most things to 3.5t.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Ok so what good reliable 4×4 and not look like a chav’ is closed to new replies.