Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • OK so, Eco-Cars? what are the best options? (Includes Golf Review)
  • hora
    Free Member

Prius was like the starship enterprise

I must admit I sat in the oldshape one and I actually LIKED IT. Its styling reminded me of 70’s interior design.

woody2000

New shape. Really wanted to like it, but it was pretty naff IMO. All hard plastics, rattly and harsh :-$

molgrips
    Free Member

If you ever have to carry more than one passenger btw I would definitely suggest a Prius – they are gigantic in the back. In the taxi I went in there was a good 6″ clear between my knee and the (normal sized) driver’s seat back.

All hard plastics, rattly and harsh

Hmm.. not so good.. for balance the one I was in was not like that at all.

ittaika
    Free Member

not really the sort of car you’re after MrNutt, but the Renault Twizy is great fun! go for a test drive. Renault are launching several electric cars including a kangoo van, but the driving range is no good for high mileage drivers.

hora
    Free Member

The Renault Twizy with the PSA/Toyota 1.0 3cyl engine would be AWESOME.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’ve got a year old 318D M Sport (actually a 2.0 litre) and it does 58mpg when I feel the need 45mpg on average and will eek out 650 miles from an £80 tank of fuel, £0 initial road tax and now £30 a year

Prius’ are the last word on hypocrisy seeing as they are built in the four corners of the globe, shipped around the globe to be assembled then back around the globe to the UK. They look shit, they never achieve the MPG diesels can and try putting four people in it and see how low your back end is……

If you’re so bothered about the eco system then do it properly and don’t buy a car and hug trees. You should also re-title your post ‘which car has best fuel economy’

molgrips
    Free Member

They look shit, they never achieve the MPG diesels can

Not true.

try putting four people in it and see how low your back end is

Don’t slag stuff off when you know nothing about the subject. They are fine 4-up (I’ve done many many miles like this, more than you it sounds like).

Also they are built in a factory in Japan powered partly by renewables and the plastics are plant based from non-food crops.

I’ve got a year old 318D M Sport (actually a 2.0 litre) and it does 58mpg when I feel the need 45mpg on average and will eek out 650 miles from an £80 tank of fuel

520 miles from a £50 tank in my Prius. Averages 55-60mpg driven at the speed limit all the time. Much more if I were inclined to do 60mph on the motorway, which I’m not. I thought you said diesels were better on fuel…?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Why do people get so angry about the pruis!? It sounds as if everyones just repeating jeremy clarkson-isms, and he talks nothing other than complete nonsense especially with regard to electric cars and batteries.

molgrips
    Free Member

Good question HH. I think it’s because people IMAGINE (internet forum style) that people are buying Priuses to show off about how smart-arsed eco green they are, based on nothing much really.

Of course people might be buying BMWs to show off how fast of a driver they think they are or how rich they are, I don’t know 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

It makes more sense to keep an old car running than to scrap it and buy one that’s made of parts that have been half way round the world twice…..

Only if you do a very low mileage…

My sister has a bluemotion, and I was really surprised by the cheap feel of the interior. I’d be looking at the new Focus 1.0 ecoboost.

ransos
    Free Member

Why do people get so angry about the pruis!? It sounds as if everyones just repeating jeremy clarkson-isms, and he talks nothing other than complete nonsense especially with regard to electric cars and batteries.

Quite. We have one at work. It’s quiet, spacious, comfortable and good (but not spectacular)on fuel. A pretty sensible family wagon, all in all.

hora
    Free Member

No offence but we are talking VW Golf diesels here.

You’ll wipe out all savings you’ve made even before the OP has reached 2yrs ownership.

We are talking VW quality. My Bro in law had a 09 Golf TDI from new and did similar mileage. He needed a new Turbo, in addition to many other things replacing.

molgrips
    Free Member

And in case you needed another fanboi post, I would like to point out that the Prius does very well in reliability surveys.

ittaika
    Free Member

hora – a twizy like that would be fantastic – i’m going to write to renault.

hora
    Free Member

Plus the engine only weighs circa 70kg’s?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Don’t slag stuff off when you know nothing about the subject. They are fine 4-up (I’ve done many many miles like this, more than you it sounds like).

I had the misfortune of driving one for four months before It forced me to opt out of company car scheme and buy a proper car…. therefore I know plenty about them and maybe you drive like you’re trying to save the planet and your consumption is better than mine but I drive a car in the real world, on real (congested) roads and with reference to being four up, check out the permissible load weigh of a prius and you’ll find it’s a miserable 375Kg, barely enough for four ‘real world’ people never mind luggage and a bike rack with three bikes on the back

Scamper
    Free Member

Had a pottle in a new 1.6tdi bluemotion and found the engine quite perky – did not really see the need to go up to the 2.0tdi based on what I drove in a new Eos. I’d probebly go for the Match or SE rather than the full fat Blue Motion. Was getting easily an indicated 60mpg on A Roads.

Currently drive a 1.6tdi Passat, but only getting circa 52 mpg average, but its only done 3k.

molgrips
    Free Member

I drive a car in the real world, on real (congested) roads

I’d love to know how I could have racked up 85k miles without going on any real congested roads! Sounds to me like you don’t know how to drive economically. Can’t really blame the car for that.

Re weights.. 380kg in fact.. vs 436kg for a bluemotion Golf. Not a dramatic difference.

380kg is plenty for my purposes, I don’t know four 15st people that would be using it at once. Priuses aren’t great load cars, the boot is not huge.

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Here’s my eco(nomical)-car;

Sometimes does up to 30mpg!

Will cost me next to nothing in depreciation. 90’s Toyota that’s spent most of it’s life in Japan so very reliable and completely rust free.

And it’s got pop-up headlights to reduce drag and is therefore a proper eco-car!

andyl
    Free Member

liking the Volvo V60 plug in hybrid diesel at the moment but it’s £42k! 😯

nickhart
    Free Member

if you’re looking at BUYING a car and you’re looking at the environmental side alone then buy a second hand something get it serviced and spruced up and run it til it dies.
    yes new cars may be more economical and they may be made from better materials but the amount of energy saved in NOT producing a new car against reviving a second hand car is reason enough.

hora
    Free Member

Good point. Anything brand new with the words Eco written on would only be considered Eco if it was over-engineered and designed to last for decades. All the car manufacturers have done is use different tyres, badges and a ECU map.

Everything else is designed to last upto 7yrs as a theoretical max.

konabunny
    Free Member

Prius’ are the last word on hypocrisy seeing as they are built in the four corners of the globe, shipped around the globe to be assembled then back around the globe to the UK….

interested to know what kind of locavore car you drive! 😆

(the e nergy involved in transport of the bits and the finished product is insignificant anyway)

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘OK so, Eco-Cars? what are the best options? (Includes Golf Review)’ is closed to new replies.