Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • OK, I have a tick in my leg – what next
  • higgo
    Free Member

Been out running (in the woods, in Sweden). Came back to hotel, showered, been for a bite to eat and a beer (or two). I’m back in my room and on taking my sock off I appear to have a tick attached to my ankle.

It seems quite flat so it’s not yet had a good feed off me but when I tried to brush it off it wriggled a bit so it’s obviously alive.

I know I can complicate things if I don’t get it out properly but I don’t have any sort of tick remover. In fact I don’t have much ‘domestic’ stuff either, just the kind of stuff you get in hotel rooms.

So…..
    ~ how do I get it out?
    ~ what do I need to do about ‘Lymes Disease’? (do nothing unless I feel fluish in the next few days?)

TIA.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Go to Swedish A&E. And please report back and let us know how much better it is than say, Wakefield A&E. 🙂

Pics please.

donsimon
    Free Member

The last one I had was squeezed off like a zit. Getting behind it to squeeze it out of the flesh. That was over 5 months ago. If something was going to happen, it would have.

StirlingCrispin

A small pair of tweezers, take hold of the mouth part and rotate anti-clockwise.

Or fashion something like this out of a business card.
    http://www.panosun.org/tickcard/

Ideally you’d place the tick in a plastic bag in the freezer should you start to suspect symptoms, but…

PS: You’re going to die!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Twist it off to remove, don’t just pull, if you have tweezers they can be helpful to grab the head.

TheBrick
    Free Member

SNAP (nearly)

allthegear
    Free Member

can I have your bike??

Rachel

Kryton57

Don’t leave the head in. Cover it liberally with Vaseline and it suffocates and falls off in a few hours.

nonk
    Free Member

i would cut a slot in a credit card slide it under and lift it out you can end up squeezing it a bit much with tweezers.
    dont cover it in vaseline it makes it puke its guts into you.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Start reading random posts from STW to it. You’ll bore it to death.

jonba
    Free Member

Amputation is the only safe option!

More seriously definately don’t smother it in vaseline and there’s no need to twist, anticlockwise or clockwise. Just pull it out making sure you remove the head and not just the body.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Lyme-disease/Pages/Prevention.aspx

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

don’t do the Vaseline thing – It can increase your chances of infection as it pukes the blood back into you. You need to get it out – twist and pull but don’t squeeze it. tweezers used carefully can work – swiss army knife ones are good.

I bet the hotel has a tick remover tho

As for lyme symptoms – a bullseye rash and flu symptoms are what to watch out for.

nonk
    Free Member

or in fact nothing at all and you just get sicker and sicker.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

The way we get them out on animals is dab a splash of Dettol on the tick and then pull the whole thing out. The Dettol makes it recoil and allows you to pull the head and body out in one swift action.

nonk
    Free Member

no dont put anything on it.

corroded
    Free Member

I had one a few weeks ago. Good news is that seems like you’ve caught it early. I had no tick remover to hand so used tweezers (without squeezing too hard). I left a little bit of the mouth in but there was no bullseye inflammation. However, no one really knows how many people positive for Lymes actually get a rash.
    Anyway, I digress. If I was you I would use my two thumbnails to get as close as possible to the mouth and prise it off. Don’t burn or smother it.

Kryton57

No Vaseline? Our Cat was ok after such treatment…

crikey
    Free Member

You’ll be OK for fancy dress parties for the rest of your life.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“A small pair of tweezers, take hold of the mouth part and rotate anti-clockwise”

Yes, I generally use the little tweezers on my Swiss Army knife. Just be careful to:

a) gently pinch the head/thorax, not the abdomen – more tricky if small
    b) very gently half-a-twist and lift it until it lets go

Look out for the possible ring-rash at the site or just feeling weird.

nonk
    Free Member

thats a cat though, chuck the bloody thing out of the window and it still lands on its feet..

Neil-F
    Free Member

I took my son to A&E last year with a tick in his lower back. The doc simply pulled it out, but left the head in, and told us to watch him for any symptoms for the next 48 hours. Nothing happened he was fine. 😀

druidh
    Free Member

All these “I did that and it was fine” tales are very well, but it’s a percentage game.

FWIW, I had to dig one out of my hand the other day as I just couldn’t get the tick tool to work where it was. I dug a decent amount of flesh out with it 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Every time your leg swears at you, you need to punch it.

nonk
    Free Member

poor service and advice nellf i would be fairly narked about that. symptoms can take months to show.
    48 hour is just a number he made up if you get a proper good reaction with a rash and everything it can take two weeks.

andy7t2
    Free Member

higgo are you still with us

higgo

HIGGO 😯

higgo
    Free Member

I went down to reception and the lovely Elvy was on (I stay here quite a bit so know most of the staff). I asked her if they had any tweezers and explained I’d got a tick. She got some tweezers out of some sort of ‘drawer full of useful stuff’ behind the desk and asked me if I’d done it before. I told her I hadn’t so she offered to do it for me as she’d done it a few times. She went in from the side with the tweezers and with a bit of twist but mostly pull got the blighter out. Looks like it’s all gone.

corroded
    Free Member

Yes that 48 hrs stuff is nonsense. It can take several days for a rash to appear, IF it ever does, and weeks or months for other symptoms such as headaches, joint pain etc. As it is, I’ve had a daily headache for the last five days (very unusual) so am getting a bit paranoid. Lyme disease appears not to be something to take chances over.

nonk
    Free Member

nice one.

corroded
    Free Member

You should also try and find out if Lyme is present in the area. But sounds like you did a good job.

rondo101
    Free Member

I read something somewhere about wrapping a thread around the head to pull it out in the absence of a tick hook. Under no circumstances should you, squeeze it, put anything on it, burn it, freeze it or do anything to cause it distress or it’ll vomit the contents of it’s stomach into your bloodstream.

I’ve got an appointment at the docs tomorrow for a Lyme test. Didn’t realise I’d got one on me & knocked it off whilst drying myself off after a shower. Smallish rash came up about 2 weeks later & now (another 1.5 weeks) got aching joints & feeling fatigued. Might just be a bit run down, but best to make sure.

nonk
    Free Member

rondo that test is a bit rubbish to be honest i would just try and get on the antibiotics if i was you, doxy is the one you want

pedlad

So the lovely Swedish elvy gave it a tug for you then…..at least you can die happy

mrbelowski
    Free Member

“Oh, er, and I got one on my dingaling too, can you get it out for me? Pleeeaaaasssseee”

higgo
    Free Member

I can certainly go to sleep – it’s nearly midnight here – wondering whether she left her other hand on my calf half a second longer than she needed to.

slowoldgit
    Free Member
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it’s nearly midnight here – wondering whether she left her other hand on my calf half a second longer than she needed to.

‘Course she did, I reckon she’s gagging for it – get in there boy. Go down in your pyjamas and tell Elvy that you think something might of bitten you on the bum, but you can’t really see. Good luck.

higgo
    Free Member

She almost certainly didn’t but it was a nice thought to hold on to as I drifted off.

konabunny
    Free Member

Meanwhile, on swedishhotelreceptionisttrackworld.se …

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ewe..

I’ve had leaches bite before now, they’re buggers too..

Ewe..

Did you partake in the Mini Bar, just for medicinal purposes of course??

higgo
    Free Member

Latest devevlopment…..

About halfway through last week I started to feel a bit ‘grotty’ but that could very easily be explained by the fact that I’m working on a project that is coming to the hectic stage so working long hours, eating more than half my meals in hotels or airports and not running/biking enough.

So I checked my ankle and while I didn’t have the classic ‘bullseye’ rash that you see on ‘Lymes Disease’ websites I do have a raised red spot about 3mm across exactly where the little bugger bit me.

I was abroad at the time, couldn’t see a doc on Friday and am ‘home alone’ looking after the kids this weekend but I do have a course of doxycycline in a travel medical kit that work give me so I’ve started off with 200mg then 100mg morning and night. The spot’s still there and I still feel a bit grotty. I’m out to Sweden again tomorrow and will finish the course of doxy while I’m out there. If I start to feel worse or if the spot’s still there after I’ve finished the pills I’ll go and see the medic out there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘OK, I have a tick in my leg – what next’ is closed to new replies.