Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Oil wights……Fox 36 service
  • timthetinyhorse

Going to do a lower leg service on my 36 Talas in the next few weeks however i find the price of fox oil appears a little steep??

Will any 7 weight suspension oil do the trick?

Also whilst im on what effects would different wieight oil have on the function of the fork??

Thanks

Rob

tomaso
    Free Member

I went to the Oil of Wight once.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Not a lot its lubrication only,

kimbers

Tom Bombadil will save you from the Wights, he had a hot wife too

rickmeister

Just done a Fox forks service and used 7 weight oil from a motorbike shop…

Its not very technical but all seems fine. Used fox blue on the phone rings….

Hth

dirtydog
    Free Member
    rickmeister

Indeed, just checked the bottle, it was 10wt, thats the chart I used as well

timthetinyhorse

yeah i have seen the oil volumes stating 10wt but then in the service guide it states 7, im presuming it makes very little difference….think i will just grab some motorbike 7wt or 10wt once the seal kit arrives

banks
    Free Member

Now 10wt oil. Cannot remember how much i stuck in thou.

ansdy

I used generic motorbike 10 wt for ages. Only recently did i find that not all oils are equal. Some are better for damping some better for lubrication.

My 36’s use fox red (silkolene rsf) 10wt and fox green- also 10 wt. It’s definitely worth using the correct stuff- only wish I’d realised sooner.

Get it on the internet and its not too much more money

ansdy

From the internet- fox green fluid is torco rsf medium.

Onzadog
    Free Member

For the sloshing around keeping bushings lubed type oil, I use motorcycle engine oil. It’s not doing anything suspension wise but clings really well. As motorbikes generally have a wet clutch, it should have a pretty good shear strength as well.

dirtydog
    Free Member

ansdy – Member

I used generic motorbike 10 wt for ages. Only recently did i find that not all oils are equal. Some are better for damping some better for lubrication.

You read this then?

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

Viscosity chart at the bottom of the page is worth a look.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

This stuff? You’re right, Tesco’s own brand is cheaper. But it’s slippier and you can’t get your salad leaves balanced on the fork as easily.

lornholio
    Free Member

Fox 10wt green is pretty much the same weight as most generic 15wt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Oil wights……Fox 36 service’ is closed to new replies.