Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Oil not grease – what are the rules?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just been fixing a squealing blower motor on the car and getting advice of another forum about how exactly to get to the squealy bit.

It is the central spindle of the motor. My idea was a squirt of GT85 to penetrate and then try and push grease into it with the hope the oil would held draw it in.

I was then told “Don’t use grease where oil will go”

What is the STW thoughts as to when to use grease and when to use oil?

epicyclo

I was told when I was a lad, grease is for hinges, oil is for rotating parts.

Of course, back then there was an oil port on axles and BBs and people did weekly maintenance.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Grease is just thicker more viscous oil really. If something will get hot, grease is better as it will evaporate more slowly. If parts are quite fine, then maybe oil is better.

I was told when I was a lad, grease is for hinges, oil is for rotating parts.

I’d say the opposite, but then I’m not an engineer. I wouldn’t put oil on my wheel bearings….

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Oil on nipples and grease on flanges?

toys19
    Free Member

Grease the wheels and oil on water is the way I was taught.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oil needs to be held in place or pumped round, therefore it only works on a bike where capillary action works (chain, cables if you must) or on a rotating part that’s well enough sealed to stop it falling out (freehub).

epicyclo

If you read some of the bike magazines from the early 1950s (when they used to do mileage charts), there were impressive mileages being done on unsealed wheel and BB bearings which were oiled. Just a few drops was all that was needed.

Naranjada
    Free Member

We should all look to the great James Taylor for advice on this topic …”it’s true what they say about the squeaky wheel, always getting the grease”.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Oil not grease – what are the rules?’ is closed to new replies.