Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Oil covered engine due to garage not refitting oil filler cap – advice pls!
  • hora
    Free Member

I thought I’d flushed them all out of their foxholes during the battle for Saigon.

Northwind

hora – Member

I’d want all visible moving parts within the vicinity of the filler replaced and the associated pullies etc cleaned/degreased or also replaced.

I’d want an apology from the pope written on a sheet of diamond but you won’t always get every daft thing you ask for

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I thought I’d flushed them all out of their foxholes during the battle for Saigon.

That day when you all got banned off here and applied for asylum was hilarious.

mleh is alive and kicking, albeit with no discernible trace of brain wave activity. ’twas ever thus.

andyl
    Free Member

Slightly odd thing is that the ‘service’ it had was just a lame ‘inspection service’ as requested by the stupid variable service indicator, so the oil wasn’t actually changed. I can only guess the mechanic was checking under the filler cap for coolant leak or something.

I think this garage is a bunch of cowboys who shouldn’t be allowed near a car

BMWs website detailing an ‘inspection service’: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/service/care/checkup_and_maintenance/maintenance/inspection.html

Admittedly I would want to see the service book for the car which will state what is needed but do they think an inspection service is just have a quick look around the car? Most basic part of a service is change engine oil and filter. Then everything else is dependant on interval.

Also good point about the risk of burning the oil in there if it has got too hot.

Tell em you want them to foot the bill for cleaning it and a full refund and then take your car to another garage.

andyl
    Free Member

another ‘inspection service’ description:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/Tip_and_Tricks_Inspection.html

The problem is the Germans call it an inspection. To the Germans this means actually change the basics and inspect things that need inspecting.

To a lazy British mechanic (seen quite a few) it means get it up on the ramps (probably damaging something in the process), have a gander round, wiggle something in the hope to find something expensive to fix and then put it back on the ground and rag it out to the car park.

timmys

Sorry, bit of a thread revival from last week.

Regarding the inspection service not having an oil change. The service indicator requested an oil change about three months ago and it had an oil/filter change and full service then. The service light then came on last month requesting an ‘inspection’ only, nothing else – estimated mileage to next oil change was more than 10,000 miles. Should they really have changed the oil then? Maybe the definition of an inspection service is different now to what it is in the 2004 service manual?

For what it’s worth we are very happy with how the garage dealt with it. After recovering the car they cleaned the engine bay and and underside extremely thoroughly (all plastic covers/undertrays etc. were removed and he was happy to show me that all the belts which looked crystal clean), changed the oil and filter (the top up they mentioned previously was apparently just to move the car, then the oil was drained/filled completely). Wife’s travel expenses reimbursed. Written report of what happened. At next MOT (June) it will be given an extra oil/filter change free of charge.

While not up to Hora standards we’re happy enough with the outcome.

Its a 2004 car yes. However it could EASILY last another 4yrs good service.

LOL! I should bloody well hope so! My previous car (1997 Pug 306 D Turbo), which we sold to a friend, has just managed a drive to Spain and back.

molgrips
    Free Member

Personally I’d be a bit worried about the turbo. Ask them to reassure you in whatever way their conscience allows….

munrobiker
    Free Member

Good result.

I would like it to be known that, as another representative of mleh, I do not extend my greetings to hora. It’s a big problem when the website of idiots thinks you’re an idiot.

jam-bo

hmmm. ponders mlehworld password.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Oil covered engine due to garage not refitting oil filler cap – advice pls!’ is closed to new replies.