• This topic has 46 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Oil Changes – DIY really worth it?
  • continuity
    Free Member

Eventually bought a kit from opie oils. 6L of fuchs and a filter for £40.

weeksy

Never even considered it on a car… but do it on my motorbikes.

Cars are for spannermen to do, not people 🙂

Cougar

Never done it myself, even back when I was a povvy student and DIYed everything else. Nasty job and for the price of the oil I can get someone else to do it and dispose of the run-off, no-brainer for me.

Oh, and if you can’t trust your mechanic, you need a better mechanic.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Nasty job” – really ? what do you drive that makes it a nasty job , lots of underpan to pull off ? i must admit the fact i can nearly sit up under my van or landy does make it a nice easy job.

andyl
    Free Member

Always do it myself as it gives me the chance to check under the car for any other problems. But I also don’t trust garages and like craig do it all myself and my cars run very well.

This is where I get my oil from: https://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/Total-Quartz-9000-5w-40-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-148650-5L-TOT_148650.html#SID=84

or AEP Direct price match if I am topping up my filter stocks as well. I normally put an order in for multiple filters and like seeing all the boxes arranged neatly on the shelf in the outbuilding 😀 AEP do OEM filters (purflux oil, Bosch fuel and I forget the make of air but it was peugeot supply when I have got one from them). Always worth checking the dealer price for filters as they can be reasonable. For the land rover I use someone like Island 4×4 and get their decent filter kit no the Britpart one. I am running Eurocarparts Triple QX in that which seems okay and Total Quartz in the french one.

hora
    Free Member

Cougar I could have gotten a garage to do the disc/pads on my car recently. Doing it as a newbie = priceless.

Yak

My cat jumped into the container of old oil, so I ‘d say no, not worth it

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Oil Changes – DIY really worth it?’ is closed to new replies.