• This topic has 24 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Oil Burner Help (Bloody Freezing)
  • mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Ran out of oil on a Grant boiler today managed to get some emergency fill but now I can’t get the bugger to bleed right. There is an inline filter but no means to switch it on/off. There is a bleed screw on the left of the burner which I have screwed in and out to no avail. Is it a matter of pulling it off and sucking. Have some little un’s under three staying with us for the weekend so need to get it running soon.

supremebean
    Free Member

The bleed screw should be a 4mm allen key in the end of the hexagonal shaft to the left of the burner, are you sure this is what you were bleeding? You wont hear air coming out and it can take a while sometimes. Is your tank higher than the burner?

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Bleed screw is a flat head slot to left of burner and when i fully unscrew it I hear air being sucked in – burner is igniting for a few secs then goes out with a lot of black smoke

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

2 things

Are you sure you got heating oil

And is your tank below the burner ? Youll need a suction pump to prime it up to the burner.

Ive got a grant vortex pro with a tiger loop on the outside and it self bleeds really quickly with no air being sucked back when i open the bleed , oil comes out. . My burners 2 feet below the tank outlet.

chris36860
    Free Member

Mundiesmieser, that flat screw slot is not the bleed. You have adjusted the oil pressure in the pump. You need a oil pressure gauge to re-set it. If its too low or high, the boiler will soot. If its very high you run the risk if burning the back of the boiler out. The bleed is the 15mm nut below the slot. DO NOT fire the boiler until the pressure has been correctly adjusted. Where are you??

trail_rat
    Free Member

I did think flat screw was funny – my bleeds a hex.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Got it up and running and it is smoking a bit – take on board Chris that it is the oil pressure adjustment, without using a guage is it possible to use any other indicators that it is running at a safe pressure as I need to run it until I can get a service man in?

supremebean
    Free Member

if you touched the flat screw next to option 1 on first, chris is right. option 1 on the second pic is the bleed screw, although it can be bled from the hexagonal pump port too. (option 2)

You will need an engineer as chris says.

Edit. the flat screw next to option 1 on first pic

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Yep definetly was the oil pressure adjuster I was adjusting – now is running constant with a bit of smoke – as a temporary fix would it be ok to back of the adjuster until it stops smoking?

chris36860
    Free Member

The only way without testing equipment is by eye. This isn’t an exact way of commissioning, but it should work ok until help arrives. It can only be done on the newer Riello RDB burners as you can remove the photo cell and see the flame. If you have a grey 4×3 inch box on the top of the burner, than this won’t work as you can’t see the flame. If its a newer one, remove the photocell ( black wire going to centre of burner) it wiggles out and is 3 inches long. You may need to shine a torch into this to stop the burner going to lockout. You should then see the flame through the hole. It should be crisp,Xmas tree shaped and bright orange. It should not be touching the back of the boiler or be limp and blurred.

chris36860
    Free Member

Just seen you last post. Turn screw anti clockwise 1/8 of a turn and check. Low pressure is better than high. Good luck

saladdodger
    Free Member

here you go this may help

http://www.grantuk.com/category/downloads/

When my Grant Combi 90 ran out of oil I just isolated the electrics and cracked the supply pipe to bleed it out and er mopped up and fired it up no worries 😀

If you have a combi be warned the diverter valve is a tawt to replace I just did mine

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

As ever STW to the rescue – many thanks guys

br
    Free Member

Good that you got it going, but haven’t you a remote meter to tell you your running short of oil?

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Nope as cash is tight at the moment have been going to the local garage who sells it from the pump and filling 25 litres at a time. With the last few days being Baltic it has not been turned off so we have been going through it at a fair rate of knots.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cash is tight but at 25 lites a time you must be paying highly per litre ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Watchmen are hit and miss anyway br

Had them in last two houses , havntbothered here just. Monitor it as i walk in from garage occasionally

In one house , One day it would read 3 the next its 1 and flashing with next to nowt init – we wernt syphoned it used to do it every time asif 2 didnt exist. At my last house it was at 5 and the tank was empty…… – 10 was a half tank and 5 was empty – even the boiler repair man had no clue why.

Both were rentals

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Where I buy it from is very reasonable only 2p a litre more than 900litre rate @ 66p a litre

br
    Free Member

Watchmen are hit and miss anyway br

Ours is fine, it counts down pretty stable, and far better than running out.

Where I buy it from is very reasonable only 2p a litre more than 900litre rate @ 66p a litre

Where do you live to get that rate? 😯 Cheapest around here last month was 72.975 inc vat.

And we’d get less than 4 days from 25 litres, AGA though so always on.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Nope as cash is tight at the moment have been going to the local garage who sells it from the pump and filling 25 litres at a time.

you are lucky. wish i could buy smaller amounts. having just laid out 340quid i really could’nt afford on 500L i find it really annoying that suppliers stick to 500 as a min delivery yet 4 years ago when we installed the damn system to fill the tank with over 1000L cost less than 300quid.

trail_rat
    Free Member

63 p on a delivery on friday past for 500 litre

Do not use boiler juice . They are a good 6-7 p more a litre….

I use my local place – connon fuels great service quick delivery.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I paid 66p+ vat a litre last month for 500ltr

Looks like devon is reasonable for something ( unlike the water bills )

saladdodger
    Free Member

I paid 66p+ vat a litre last month for 500ltr

Looks like devon is reasonable for something ( unlike the water bills )

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

64p plus vat. heavens, fuel in far sw of cornwall cheap compared to some accross the tamar, whatever next!

br
    Free Member

Ours was 69.5+vat at the end of Feb in the Scottish Borders, after a ring-around (3 suppliers).

And Grangemouth is less than 50 miles away…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Oil Burner Help (Bloody Freezing)’ is closed to new replies.