Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Oil above + piston in reba's or grease?
  • Wally

Old manual said add oil – new says grease up the stanction.
    Any reason why I should not grease up and then add 5ml of float fluid from the top cap every now and then? I understand it will eventually migrate to the negative chamber – which I can then purge.

I also have 90wt gear oil/ 15wt and 5wt to use.

Wally.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Depends which Reba’s you have.
    Older ones are oil, newer ones grease.

I’ve never had it migrate below the air piston unless the seal has failed, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

rickon
    Free Member

Adding oil to the +ve chamber will reduce air volume, and in so reduce small bump compliance, and bottoming out. Usually, it’s not really a desired effect on RS forks.

LoCo
    Free Member

Tiny bit of oil and or grease in dual air is ok as lubrication not volume reduction, with dual air you can set them pretty much how you want anyway.

Solo air wouldn’t recommend either as it’s very likely to clog the negative transfer port stopping air going in and out.

Someone mentioned they’d used P6000 grease which is really sticky in the very top of pos. air chamber in dual airs, but I think even this is likely to cause issues in the long run.

Wally

LoCo – many thanks – as the resident expert I hoped you would post.
    Added 5ml of float fluid from the top cap and they seem smoother. All the grease had been pushed to the top of the leg. I agree on the “tiny” bit idea. Glad I bought old dual air cheap!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve always used oil. Fox Float Fluid to be precise. 5cc above and 5cc below the piston. I clean any grease out.
    Why?
    I’m not sure the grease doesn’t just get moved aside and then stay where it’s not needed, leaving the seals dry. Oil always sloshes around and keeps working. I reckon forks relubed with oil feel a bit smoother. Oil isn’t going to block anything with pressurised air in it, it’ll just blow out of the way.

I’ve run about 6 sets of my own RS forks like this no issues at all. Every pair I service for mates is done like this (Another 20-40 sets? not sure… might be more) and I’ve had no complaints.

Just my 2p worth 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Have seen a number of the new solo air forks with the transfer port machined into the inside of the stantion have issues with excessive grease and/or oil in the chambers.
    If it ends up in the neg chamber, which being at the bottom and gravity not helping with this can stop the fork reaching full travel and engaging the transfer port it’s about this big:

(====) so not much fluid/grease needed to cause problems

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So, the key word is ‘excessive’ then? 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Or any, will just use P6000 on the seals and that’s all tbh.

Have a n idea or two about vol. reduction on the solo airs that I need to have a fiddle/ machine with though, so a proper fix/adjustment 😉 More to follow in a bit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Oil above + piston in reba's or grease?’ is closed to new replies.