Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Oi, Lego, stop it!!!
  • Notter
    Free Member

As I’m mid way through the Technic 911 kit they’ve just sent me an email promoting this:

N+1 still applies to Lego doesn’t it?!

Gary_M
    Free Member

What’s it supposed to be – looks like a cross between a beetle and a 2cv

jeff

All about the AFOLs

Notter
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

What’s it supposed to be – looks like a cross between a beetle and a 2cv

It’s a VW Scarabée
    😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Big Lego transport expo thingy coming to Chester soon. The Lego cathedral is quite spectacular too.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Well it’s obviously a german spy’s car going by the 2 stick grenades and the false plates…….

Stoner
    Free Member

On the other hand Im getting a bit miffed with Lego.

Most of the kits now are packed full of tiddly little parts, specific to the model. You dont get anything like the number of substantial building blocks as you used to. Look at that car ^ half of the pieces are specific to that model.

Why not just bang out an airfix and be done with it?!

jairaj

Also is that a surfboard on the car roof? No self respecting surfer is going to go round in that to catch some waves.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of all these propriety model-specific lego pieces, and it doesn’t look very “tecnic”? I remember the old car chasis had a function diff and moving pistons, gearbox and stuff, and the JCB had compressed air pistons to move all the arms. i’m not impressed. 2/10.

Notter
    Free Member

@hammyuk – hadn’t considered that, and the cover as a tourist is complete with a folded towel ready to deploy…… 😉

Notter
    Free Member

Not part of the Technic range Horatio. Know what you mean with the proprietry pieces but to be fair I’m “displaying” (in the home office!) the kits I have so am not free-building.

That attitude will no doubt change when I have kids!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Most of the kits now are packed full of tiddly little parts, specific to the model. You dont get anything like the number of substantial building blocks as you used to. Look at that car ^ half of the pieces are specific to that model.

Why not just bang out an airfix and be done with it?!

Yep, its all too elaborate these days, when I was I kid it was just a variety of blocks, base plates, wheels and a vivid imagination.

bearnecessities

Apologies for the thread hijack, but anyone aware of Lego bargains at the moment? For an 8 year old around the £30 mark?

allthegear
    Free Member

It’s no 853 though, is it?

/me fondly remembers the 853 car of her childhood…

Rachel

Notter
    Free Member

This was my favourite as a youngster, 6080, and yes pretty much all “regular blocks” that could be redeployed for that medieval themed dragster build 🙂

drlex
    Free Member

Echo the initial 2CV/Dyane thoughts.

In the first picture, is the orange block one of two ramps for the realistic big yellow cab ride home for car and occupants?

zilog6128

Look at that car ^ half of the pieces are specific to that model.

Wrong. An existing part in a new colour is fairly common but a genuinely new part is not. Even a very large model wouldn’t have more than a couple. You’ve actually just underlined the genius of modern Lego designers. What is very common these days is innovative & imaginative building techniques – You’ve been fooled into thinking a very clever arrangement of old parts is something entirely new.

hammyuk
    Free Member

So the wheels, wheelarches, roof panels, etc are specific?

zilog6128

The wheel arches are the only entirely new part in that set.

The wheels themselves will have been used on other sets. The hubcaps look to me like the part that goes on the bottom of the pirate ships to help them glide across the carpet! (Or a thousand other uses!)

Roof bits definitely not new, there have been loads of cool curved pieces for years now.

rocketman
    Free Member

There’s a feature in this month’s Top Gear magazine that mentions how few specific parts there are in the Technic car kits. Iirc there were 2 out of the 2700+ parts in the 911 GT3 kit

davosaurusrex

@bearnecessities – Amazon (tax dodging gits that they are etc) had the technic drag racer for £36 down from 50 last week. Out of stock last time I looked but might be same price when they get more in. Looks like a pretty good set.

I get the 2cv comparison but would still like that to sit on the shelf next to the camper van my wife got me a few years back!

rossburton
    Free Member

This is missing all the Technics because it’s Creator series not Technics series.

As to special pieces, I often hear this but as someone whose son has vast amounts of lego it’s not really true: as has been said the only new piece on the VW (apart from the colour) are the wheel arches and it’s rare for a set to have a entirely new piece (the reviewers on something like brickset get *very* excited when a new piece or colour appears). The hubcaps are usually seen on the underside of boats. The roof curved pieces are ancient. The door handles are telephones. Etc etc.

diz

captainsasquatch
    Do you have any details of the “Big Lego transport expo thingy coming to Chester soon”.

Thanks Diz

andyl
    Free Member

Nice morris minor 😀

kelvin

the green mini is far better

dawson

How about Brick Live at the NEC?

Brick LIVE

form an orderly queue and don’t go knocking toddlers out of the way!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

8860 FTW!

MoreCashThanDash

Brick shows are amazing fun.

Showed the Beetle to my wife and she immediately said the back end was a 2CV. It won’t be taking pride of place from my son’s camper van.

garage-dweller

Cfh I think I might still have my complete 8860 kit somewhere. Fantastic model.

fisha
    Free Member

I had the 8860, but loved the 8865 more …

Pop up headlight !

WillH

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    8860 FTW!

I recently bought that on ebay, having had it as a kid (little bro has taken ownership of all Lego unfortunately…) It’s sitting in the garage waiting for my eldest (aged 4) to have enough patience to be able to build it.

He’s currently into space stuff, since we watched the ISS go over the other week. I bought the wee space shuttle kit as a stop-gap until this arrives:
    8)

If he can build that, then he can have a crack at the 8860 Chassis.

And now thanks to Notter I’m going to have to buy the Knights’ Castle, one of my all-time favourites…

Cougar

/me fondly remembers the 853 car of her childhood…

I still have that upstairs, boxed.

8860 FTW!

And that one. I built it back up last year to make sure it was still complete, need to do the same with the 853 really. Hm, that’s a project for the weekend then.

sparkyrhino

Had lots of lego as a 70’s child, loved every brick of it.My Mrs has a few of the Star wars models, a huge death star,falcon and r2d2 etc, all in storage, waiting new house move.They look great but thats it,for me they miss the largest part of the fun of Lego, Imagination!

yunki
    Free Member

ahhhh…. the 8860

I threw mine down the stairs to protest at a minor indiscretion committed by my younger brother..

yeah.. That’ll teach him

Klunk
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of all these propriety model-specific lego pieces

they are very “contrived” the abstract nature of lego is it’s appeal for me going for realistic you may as well buy an airfix kit.

jeff
    avdave2

I prefer this which does have much more of the original Lego look and nothing like a 2CV

ransos
    Free Member

Most of the kits now are packed full of tiddly little parts, specific to the model.

I agree. And as the father of two daughters, I find the gendered nature of the kits – all pink and princesses – to be a bit depressing. Though I note that my girls have much more fun with the bog standard bricks than they do with the kits.

Saccades
    Free Member

Certainly a lot more specific parts than there used to be – turned me off technical lego when I’d saved for ages and got a whirlwind helicopter (8856) back in 1991 with odd plastic tubing in sheaths (oww missus..) for tilting the rotors (2nd model was an awful boat thing). Loads of stuff only good for that kit (although I guess probably a few more options nowadays).

Have the big original car chassis (probably not all there, but must be >95%) to build with the kids along with a couple of other kits.

nixie

WillH,

If he’s into the space stuff there is also 8480. One of my favourite kits.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Oi, Lego, stop it!!!’ is closed to new replies.