Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ohlins v Fox float X2 rear shock, inform me.
  • bruneep

Pondering a new rear shock for my Rallon. was thinking Fox float X2 someone told me to look at Ohlins STX 22, other than they used to do MX stuff I know nothing of them.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have no useful info, but, interested by an Ohlins shock I did a quick google.

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/ohlins-stx-talk-1031284.html

mboy
    Free Member

Bit more on the Ohlins…

https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/forks-suspension/ohlins-rxf-29-fork-stx-22-damper.html

Was considering both these, and a couple of others for an upgrade on my Evil Wreckoning. Ended up going for the Float X2. The X2 is arguably more of a DH shock that has been shrunk (slightly) for trail applications, and the addition of the climb switch for 2017 models has made it more versatile. The STX22 seems to be getting great reviews, it’s a more basic mono tube design rather than the twin tube design of the X2 though, which will limit its control and adjustability somewhat.

Depends what’s most important to you really I guess. FWIW I’ve got plenty of experimenting to do with settings on the X2 yet, it’s not the easiest of shocks to set up with so much to adjust. Some people prefer more of a set and forget shock…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The STX-22 is a monotube damper the relies mostly on the main piston shimstack arrangement to control damping. This allows you to potentially run digressive or regressive damping tunes, something that can’t be done without modification on a shock like the X2 that uses a ported damper design. On the downside, Ohlins and Fox seem to think that monotubes can cavitate more easily and react slower. Others argue that monotubes don’t heat up as easily, something to consider when the oil is insulated by an air spring.

The coil TTX-22 however, is really interesting – as it is a twintube recirculating design that relies heavily on the main piston shimstacks unlike the Fox DHX2 and Float X2. This means you have all the benefits of the twintube design, but have a shock that can be pulled apart and have the damping characteristics tuned to be digressive or progressive. The fact that it has midstroke shims as well, means that there damping transition between low and high speed is supposedly more controlled on the Ohlins TTX-22 design than on the X2. However, Avalanche suspension and I think a few others have modified the X2 with main piston/mid-valve shimstacks.

The main benefit of the Fox X2 vs the Ohlins TTX is that the former has a wider range of settings, due to being a ported design – and is thus easier to mass produce and sell after market.

Tracey

Cant coment on the Fox but we are running three of the Ohlins on our Enduros. Abigale competed all last year using one and they are by far the plushest rear shocks we have used. We have had RP23s, CCDB air and CC inline airs and the Ohlins performs far better both up and down.
    Had hers serviced at the end of the season by the Ohlins guys at Finale who couldnt find anything wrong with it.
    I borrowed her spare, which she hadnt had to use, whilst my Cane Creek went back under warranty but she isnt getting it back. 😀
    Will be comming up North for the first Tweedlove if you want to give it a try.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ohlins v Fox float X2 rear shock, inform me.’ is closed to new replies.