Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Öhlins fork gets closer
  • ratherbeintobago

Well, damper. Looks interesting; wonder if there will be more trail-y damper?

Northwind

Interesting stuff this. More interested in Penske getting into pushbikes tbh, based on my motorbike kit.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Ohlins know there stuff ,that’s why every motorbike on the grid in every championship in the world has them on there bikes both back and front !…

philbert31
    Free Member

It has always amazed me that they’ve never got into MTB earlier, hopefully they won’t be Specialized only.

ratherbeintobago

hopefully they won’t be Specialized only.

Apparently the shock’s going to be available in other lengths soon.

sv

Northwind knows his bikes, Ohlins is good but maybe too mainstream these days? Also not sure every bike in every championship has front & rear Ohlins 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s an interesting paradigm though if they do decide to just sell dampers. Choose the fork chassis you want and if you want to upgrade, drop in a new damper that’s better-tuned to your riding.

Doubt it’ll ever take off but it’s definitely something to watch.

Northwind

reedspeed – Member

Ohlins know there stuff ,that’s why every motorbike on the grid in every championship in the world has them on there bikes both back and front

Leaving aside that they really don’t… Most Ohlins parts are far inferior to what’s on the top end race bikes, they make their bucks selling average kit with pretty gold ano based on the name. The pushbike kit mostly seems to be of a higher standard than all the road oem bollocks and hrcls and that so that’s promising, but Penske generally make far better consumer kit- better performing and more durable.

(I fell for it and bought a pretty gold one)

cookeaa

It’s an interesting paradigm though if they do decide to just sell dampers. Choose the fork chassis you want and if you want to upgrade, drop in a new damper that’s better-tuned to your riding.

Doubt it’ll ever take off but it’s definitely something to watch.

Well push’s old line of drop in parts jumps straight to mind and mojo had their ‘boxcart’ for a while, until fox started making a DH fork for them to flog. Didn’t avalanch do some drop in parts too for Marzocchi forks for a while?

These things are often successful but the only for a limited period, the ‘Chassis’ inevitably gets changed incrementally year on year making for some minor headaches, and the fork manufacturers will be keen to try and shut another player out of the market if they can… Would be good though.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I dont think you compare what Ohlins do for dampers with companies like Avalanche, Push etc.

The guys at Ohlins know their stuff they have been doing it for a long time very well.

http://www.ohlins.com/About-the-company/Hall-of-Fame/

Have been doing cartidge kits for MX for a while too, preety similar to the Boxxer kit idea.

http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/MX–Offroad/Cartridge-kits/TTX22-Cartridge-kit/

cookeaa

I’m not comparing the companies, just pointing out the concept of flogging a “drop in” damper upgrade(s) has been tried in the MTB market a couple of times already…

It will never be in my price range so I’m hardly ever likely to find myself riding one but it would be good to see either an ohlins fork or drop in on the market…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The guys at Ohlins know their stuff they have been doing it for a long time very well.

As they say with financial stuff
    “Past performance is not an indicator of future success”

Call it when the stuff has done 2 years.

Chainline
    Free Member

Avalanche do good business making fox and RS forks and shocks work better still and become more adjustable, more serviceable (all serviceable yourself, fully and tuneable yourself. A bit out of order to infer they don’t know what they’re talking about just because they are not a big company. One email from Craig at Avalanche will make your head hurt.

I had a terrible time trying to make my much lauded Pikes work consistently and to get them how I wanted to feel, suspension is a very personal thing for some, others can ride owt.

Dilwyn
    Free Member

Looking forward to my LBS getting these in to test. Tried a specialized demo and enduro with the shocks and all I could focus on was how bad the forks felt in comparison. Probably a lot to do with the fact that they were test bikes and the forks weren’t really set up for me but would love to try ohlins front and rear.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Northwind knows his bikes

So do I !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Öhlins fork gets closer’ is closed to new replies.