Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Ohhhhhh shimano (Roadie, hydraulic) disk brakes
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

http://road.cc/content/news/76756-revealed-shimano-di2-hydraulic-disc-brakes-are-coming

Still no want or need for them, but cool none the less.

cp

hmmm, lever looks remarkably like an older Dura Ace model and there appears to be something (like a converter) that the hoses go into hanging from the bars, though it’s hidden by the far STI.

EDIT – although cable exit is under the bar tape

cp

JoB
    Free Member

that’s not a convertor, that’s the Di2 control box

martymac

i am MASSIVELY interested in this.
    and the 105 version that will surely follow . . .

midlifecrashes

I am not, well not yet. Glad they’re coming at last.

These things (Shimano CX75) work, designed to run from this year’s 105 and Ultegra

mooman
    Free Member

The hoods on the shifters look so tall and ugly though ..

I know its a cx bike in picture. But I am just not liking the look of disks on a road bike.
    Pretty sure lots of the fatties moving over from their mtbs will like them though.

RustySpanner

About time too.

I like discs.
    I like road bikes.

And I really, really love the fact that discs on road bikes wind up the humourless, stick in the mud, head in the sand types that give road riding a bad name.

Excellent news.
    Be nice to see a solution without electronic shifting though.

Oh, ‘Darkside’!

There, that’s better.

njee20
    Free Member

Much harder to do with mechanical shifters – there’s a lot more in the body. See the massive cylinder on top of the shifter on SRAM’s efforts.

RustySpanner

Yeah, but you could make a removable reservoir that fits in the bars or stem.
    Or even the headtube.

Or we could go back to bar end or downtube shifters 😀

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Still no want or need for them

Speak for yourself matey 😉 I already run discs on my commuter and they are better than rim brakes in every practical way, by a mile. One day in the not-too-distant-future you’ll look back and wonder why we settled for rubbish rim brakes for so long.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

As a total roadie who occasionally takes to the trails I probably should be in the rim brake camp.However, I have been using Avid BB7s on my commuter/winter/cross Boardman and it is the way forward. No rims wearing out, consistent braking in all conditions etc etc. They just need to get the weight down and they will be sorted.

Not sure that Hydraulics are absolutely needed though, and I see there is a new mechanical calliper in the offing that moves both pads.

Regards

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Not sure where this idea of rim brakes being rubbish comes from. Probably never used a decent set of rim brakes. They are far from rubbish, even 105 spec are very good.

I use disks on my winter bike and rim brake on the race bike. The only real advantage I can see from disks is wet weather operation, and use on carbon rims (which is a biggie), maybe using hydraulic fluid rather than cables, but that’s a small one.

I’m not convinced about the looks of a disk road bike, but it’s early days right now.

andytherocketeer

Still not totally convinced yet. Might make sense on CX bikes, but I certainly can’t see this any time soon on mountain stages of TdF etc.

On an Alpe d’Huez descent, the Kinetic energy that needs to be converted into another form (heat, basically) is huge compared to someone hooning down a red run in your favourite trail centre.

edit: and if they’re released to the retail market, there’ll be huge disclaimers all over the packet saying for CX (etc.) use only.

billyboy
    Free Member

Is this the end of the radial wheel?

njee20
    Free Member

They are far from rubbish, even 105 spec are very good.

I disagree, my 105 are adequate at best, and the rear keeps seizing. Dura Ace are superb though.

Not too fussed either way on road discs, don’t get all the hand wringing about people who don’t want them. Lighter clincher rims could be good, but over all system weight will no doubt go up for a while.

jimc101
    Free Member

I disagree, my 105 are adequate at best, and the rear keeps seizing

If they keep on seizing, you need to look at why, cable routing, worn spring or another reason, have been using 5700/105 for the last 2 years, and they are just as good as 6700/Ultegra.

Also have a bike running CX75’s since early Jan, have put on getting on 1000km on them, and they have worked great, although setting them up is harder than the R505’s they replaced, as they need several different hex wrenches as the L/R sides take different sizes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[img]http://brownhillsbob.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/p1070201.jpg[/img]
    Bit old news isn’t it these blokes have been doing it for a while….

martymac

the hope one is a converter though, not a full hydraulic system.
    it uses a cable from the lever to the box.
    there are a couple of other companies doing similar to the hope, and im sure it works well, but its using a lot of handlebar ‘real estate’, i have a cateye on my bars and i need to run a light as well.
    added to that, i use the stem to pick my bike up too . . .

stevewhyte
    Free Member

jimc101 – Member
    I disagree, my 105 are adequate at best, and the rear keeps seizing
    If they keep on seizing, you need to look at why, cable routing, worn spring or another reason, have been using 5700/105 for the last 2 years, and they are just as good as 6700/Ultegra.

He likes to disagree, it’s in his nature.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

No doubt in 5 years, there will be loads of options and probably more bikes will have disk than not.

Will be interesting if they can resolve the heat issues regarding long descents. Most disks seem to be 140mm. Shimano and there ice tech should come into here own. Just another opportunity for the designers to show there worth.

mikey74
    Free Member

I use disks on my winter bike and rim brake on the race bike. The only real advantage I can see from disks is wet weather operation, and use on carbon rims (which is a biggie), maybe using hydraulic fluid rather than cables, but that’s a small one.

How about not wearing away a key structural component of your bike every time you brake? Disk brakes on road bikes is the future.

bedmaker

On an Alpe d’Huez descent, the Kinetic energy that needs to be converted into another form (heat, basically) is huge compared to someone hooning down a red run in your favourite trail centre.

Will be interesting if they can resolve the heat issues regarding long descents. Most disks seem to be 140mm. Shimano and there ice tech should come into here own. Just another opportunity for the designers to show there worth.

I’m no roadie but this was my first thought when I saw the diddy wee discs on road bikes in proto pics. I’ve come down Mam Ratagan on my MTB, a drop of about 1100ft and had to stop part way to let my brakes cool. The rotors (180/160) were very wobbly and had turned blue. Lots of smoke!
    It’s not as high as Applecross Bealach but is double track road so much faster.

bikebouy
    Free Member

[/url] image by artaylor910, on Flickr[/img]

njee20
    Free Member

Thanks for the patronising tone, It’s because I rarely clean my winter bike, but I never cleaned the Dura Ace i used before i had a specific winter bike and they’re still perfect, and vastly more powerful, with better feel.

The 105s were an improvement on the Tiagras admittedly, cartridge pads are good, and they seized solid in less than 6 months.

The BikeRumor article on hydro discs was interesting. He was using lightweight rotors and the brake promptly failed when he went down a steep hill. Plenty of people (here and elsewhere) saying he should learn to use his brakes blah blah blah, but the reality is that your average punter will expect them to be vastly superior, and to stay that way. Not had too many spontaneous failures of rim brakes.

If the answer is to use ICEtech rotors or whatever then so be it, but how will you stop people replacing them with the same lightweight rotors they use on their MTBs?

frank4short
    Free Member

If the answer is to use ICEtech rotors or whatever then so be it, but how will you stop people replacing them with the same lightweight rotors they use on their MTBs?

Darwinism? Just the same way as people don’t drill mtb frames, cranks, etc. for racing the same way as was briefly popular in the mid 90’s.

brant
    Free Member

Darwinian evolution will take care of people like that.

mrmo
    Free Member

you mean the discs that have been known to melt on long downhills?

njee20
    Free Member

Darwinism? Just the same way as people don’t drill mtb frames, cranks, etc. for racing the same way as was briefly popular in the mid 90’s.

You miss the point entirely – there’s a behavioural trait there. Manufacturers are fitting diddy 140mm rotors, people will fit Ashima, KCNC etc rotors that are available in shops everywhere, and perfectly adequate on MTBs. It couldn’t be more different from drilling holes.

It’s not really enough for the manufacturers to say ‘ah yes, I know these after market parts exist, but you should have known that there’s a very real possibility you’ll die if you use them’. Particularly when there’s a perception (on this thread no less) that discs will offer performance advantages. Again, I’ve never had a spontaneous failure of my rim brakes.

aP
    Free Member

Lots of people on road bikes drag their brakes on descents – surely the worst thing possible for hydraulic systems?
    For experienced riders who brake only into corners it’ll be fine but for the majority of riders these new systems will be problemmatic – I envisage the first law suits within 3 months of these systems being released to the lawyers and dentists.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s what I mean. It’s how they’ve always ridden, and will expect to be able to continue to ride that way with their new ‘better’ hydraulic systems. It’s all very well folk like Brant and frank sneering at them because they’re perfect, but I reckon there’s the potential for some really serious accidents.

scotroutes

Surely there are already lot of folk running (cable?) disks on loaded touring bikes doing long descents? (and I do mean apart from me) I’ve not heard of a spate of accidents involving these folk.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Cables don’t boil though

scotroutes

But the rotors would be overheating and warping – allegedly 🙄

simondbarnes

Surely there are already lot of folk running (cable?) disks on loaded touring bikes doing long descents? (and I do mean apart from me) I’ve not heard of a spate of accidents involving these folk.

Cables don’t overheat / boil

scotroutes

See above

njee20
    Free Member

And that’s the problem. Folk drag brakes. Release, pull. Nothing. Bang. BikeRumor journo broke a few ribs. The Etape could be carnage!

FOG

When I complained about how bad rim brakes were compared to discs somebody on here gave me an earful and told me road bike brakes weren’t to stop you but to lose a bit of speed!Mind you my ultegras didn’t even do that.
    Discs on road bikes can’t come to soon for me

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Maybe the disc brakes should come with a warning

“For competent cyclists only”

Me I’d buy a road bike with discs if only to be able to ride it with slight buckles in the rims and the stronger lighter rims that will be available.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve had a disc’d road bike for over 3 years now. Its ok, but I much prefer my rim braked bikes for most riding. I use it to tow a bobyak mostly.
    Shamal Ultra’s with USB bearings are plenty light, fast and reliable for the kind of road riding I do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Ohhhhhh shimano (Roadie, hydraulic) disk brakes’ is closed to new replies.