Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Ohh, that was quite a yucky ride…
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Wet, cold, muddy, windy, wet, windy, muddy, wet, windy

etc.
    etc.

and 2 punctures.

etc.etc.
    😛

Trimix
    Free Member

I cant bring myself even to look outside. I’ve just spent two weeks under sunny blue sky’s, 17 degrees and dusty trails. Now I’ve come home and its very depressing.

tang
    Free Member

Im in a bad mood today and can’t face a turbo session, equally I can’t face more rain. Guess I will flip a coin and grumble either way!

rOcKeTdOg

Ridden every day this year, but even I’m thinking twice about today, it’s pounding down out there. Might just out the waterproofs on & go for a walk at least that way I won’t need to hose the bike & myself down afterwards again

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Just walked the dog. Pockets filled up with water. Stream covered bridge. Water went over top of boots. I can confirm it is definitely wet and soggy out there.

Bregante

I was out yesterday and couldn’t believe how much some of the trails have changed due to the rainfall. One of my favourite descents that we do on a night ride now has a two foot wide chasm running down its entire length. Glad I didn’t do it for the first time in the dark as it would have been pretty sketchy.

Vortexracing

I was out yesterday and couldn’t believe how much some of the trails have changed due to the rainfall. One of my favourite descents that we do on a night ride now has a two foot wide chasm running down its entire length. Glad I didn’t do it for the first time in the dark as it would have been pretty sketchy.

Same here yesterday around Rivington, the rocky drop down past Wilderswood was a nightmare, big holes all over the shop 🙁

Glad I did it in the daylight before next Wed nightride. 🙄

I wonder how the Rivvy Ice Cream run has held up?

davosaurusrex

Last ride on the South Downs was as muddy as I’ve known it, almost stopped us going to the pub afterwards as we were so caked in it!

BPW yesterday, filthy but still awesome. Soaked again today cleaning the bike and hosing down all the gear. No rush to go back out on the MTB though, weather like this is why I bought a road bike

martinhutch

Was thinking after seeing the Mary Townley Loop thread that a separate thread detailing any significant storm damage around the regions might not be a bad plan. Nothing serious I’ve encountered so far in South Dales, but if someone has something noteworthy to kick it off…

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’ve had 3, yes 3, squals of 45knts come over my place in the last 2 hours since I’ve been in. I’m sure I had 2 come over me whilst out in the woods too. They bring with them very windy segments and torrential downpours…

So that’s 5.

We don’t normally get that. Maybe 1 every couple of weeks during Autumn/Early Winter.

A fat Pidgeon has just landed belly deep in my garden 😕

MoreCashThanDash

Early start for a short road ride this morning, none of us fancied boggy bridleway bashing. 8am start meant we could turn for home when the rain started having achieved something at least.

Beeston had managed a decent turn out for a wet club ride when they went past us!

grahamt1980

Grim down south too. Trails are muddy and a bit ****.
    So I have decided to hide in the house and light the fire. Time for a climb later though, beats getting covered in crap

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just reverted to XC running instead of the bike for the past three days. Can’t see much point in getting bike and me filthy!!

More like skating that running in the woods!

aP
    Free Member

Went out first thing, no one else turned up so took the long way home. Very brown when I got home. Will be a mudguard road ride I think for the next few weeks, as the trails have gone from being OK to completely waterlogged and broken up.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Just did a four miles ride on tbe road to the bank and back (which was shut, incidentally, so waste of time). Got very wet and cold even with water proofs on. It was horrendous. It looked and felt horrendous. I’d hate to think what a long ride would be like. Very, very depressing.

sirromj

Went out yesterday, local, on an explore a bit further out. Bit drizzly, but extremely muddy in places and quite windy. Realized I had a nose bleed after doing a bright red snot rocket a few miles into the ride. Later made the mistake of putting a byway used by 4x4s into my route – deep ruts between off camber mud with the wind aiding the camber. Slipped off with my face a foot away from dog poo, which is far better than it could have been. On return leg, following track I’d gleaned off Strava, had the joy of cycling past to a sewage works closely enough to taste it and worry about leakage into the puddles was cycling through.

jools182
    Free Member

Well done for getting out op

I can’t bear this weather, it’s horrendous. I find myself getting out of bed later and later.

Even leaving the house to walk to the car isn’t appealing

mrblobby
    Free Member

Clearing up a bit down south now. Thought I’d be on the turbo tonight but considering getting the lights out now (road though, can’t face the mud.)

Good effort getting out in the mud this morning though!

Simon

Went out at 8am and managed to get a ride in before the rain hit West Yorkshire. Got muddy but not too bad really, good to get out.

flybywire
    Free Member

Trail running means less to clean. 8miles of water logged forest tracks earlier. Saves the drive train.

jimplops

Cut short my ride up rivi, just stupidly wet, but first ride this year and first in a long while since little dude was born.

iainc

An hour or so round whitelee windfarm trails with the kids – bracing 😀

woody21
    Free Member

I live near Bakewell – the White Peak – it should be renamed the Brown Peak for sheer volume of mud that there is

mattbee

Looked outside this morning and decided against it, just did a set of 5×5 on the turbo instead.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve just packed my Trail Running gear for another stint in Town whilst working for a living 🙁

crazy-legs

Cut short my CX ride once my waterproof gloves decided that what I was asking them to cope with was beyond their remit. After that my hands got colder and colder so I bailed. 32 miles out of a planned 60ish.

Shame cos the rest of me wasn’t too bad so long as I kept moving, the Rapha rain cape lived up to it’s name and did a great job.

Trimix
    Free Member

Well Ive just found a 1 hr gap in the rain, so me and the missus went out on the road. Which was covered in dirt so it almost counts as mountain biking.

Trouble is when its wet and dark and miserable I stay in and eat too much. Then when it stop raining Im too fat to ride 🙁

postierich
    Free Member

Turned down the chance to ride with some other friends as I wanted to get some miles in, wrong choice as it was a day to get dragged Made a fatal cafe stop At Grizedale soaking wet started with a hill and it turned really cold decided to shorten my route 🙂
    http://www.strava.com/activities/462229545

P-Jay
    Free Member

Took a trip to FOD trail centre today, it’s basically submerged, but 90% is firm enough to ride however you like once you get past the mental barrier of it being covered in slop and / water.

Getting home was an adventure – mate got a migraine so I was forced to drive his AMG Mercedes home for him, gutted.

A few roads closed because of water, some more than had 5-10cm of standing water on them, sadly a fatal accident closed another road. Not great conditions to be driving a unfamiliar, expensive, powerful and auto car you’re only insured 3rd party on, but I still enjoyed it.

nickc

Couldn’t face the bike today, so went for a walk instead, up to Stoodley Pike and back. was moist, and cold.

drlex
    Free Member

Hit a flooded section and bailed out when the level hit my top tube. Then remembered my phone was in a thigh pocket rather than on the bars. Oops! Now in rice canister in the airing cupboard…

globalti
    Free Member

Hit a flooded section and bailed out when the level hit my top tube. Then remembered my phone was in a thigh pocket rather than on the bars. Oops! Now in rice canister in the airing cupboard…

Rice? I hope you don’t lose all your contacts except your Uncle Ben….

One positive note: if you road ride with mudguards and go out on good days, at least where the road isn’t covered in grit the tarmac is CLEAN and you can enjoy the bendy bits. We did 32 flattish miles last Tuesday going at a good pace because we knew there were no hills and came home beasted and feeling we had been spinning well.

As I only have one best road bike I’ve fitted it with Crud Road Racer guards and it feels just the same as in summer.

andybrad

we were supposed to have a group ride with 4 local groups this morning. Absolutely horrible weather. Thankfully it was just about made bearable by some of the lads from Shibden cc. Popper nice people (but under the nutters banner because they were all on single speeds 🙂 )

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Cross race in torrential rain with lots of slippery mud to play on.
    Loved it.
    45 mins of wild racing then back into dry clothes.

scaredypants

Went out on the fatbike in the new forest today. There’s been no flooding down here and no days of 12″ rain but **** me it’s wet out there

I was really pleased to find that 4″ tyres hardly leave a track, except on totally unstructured mud; riding over soaked grassland left nothing. It’s what I was hoping for, so good to see it works

Nipper99
    Free Member

I thought i’d found a gap in the clouds. Got to the top of the highest and most exposed bit of the route in the hills above Swansea, turned around to see the mother of all maelstroms coming up the road behind me.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CNcpCF]Gogogo[/url] by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

Still, good to get out!

dovebiker

Felt compelled to go out as I’ve got a big event in 8 weeks – decided to just do some hill repeats on the Aldershot Ranges – first time was OK, but then started to realise that my Gore-Tex gloves overlapped my cuffs – water was running down my arms and filling my gloves and likewise, waterproof tights are great at letting water run into your boots! Now got a warm glow in my quads, so felt it was worthwhile!

langylad
    Free Member

Too wet to ride so been on a few runs, lost a trainer in a cunningly disguised bog.

molgrips
    Free Member

Drove to Afan for the first time in many years, through driving rain, past an accident. The trail was in good shape though with little mud just huge deep puddles. My mate’s fatbike made huge splashes, very amusing 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Ohh, that was quite a yucky ride…’ is closed to new replies.