Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Ohh dear – is this the end of Arsene Wenger?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Nothing like getting the board’s backing to indicate you are about to be shown the door…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14977442.stm

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My brother and brother-in-law are Arsenal fans and so I take a passing interest. I’ve been saying for the last few years he has to go – his constant wittering about ‘young players’ and ‘team for the future’ does my nut in and I don’t even support them. The logic behind spending tens of millions of pounds on Southampton teenagers whilst other clubs spend the same amount on proven, experienced proffessionals and experience more success, baffles me.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nahhhh – absolutely has as lesser chance as fergie does as getting the sack…

not saying he has started great for one minute – but it will take a mightly bad season for wenger to get sacked

if he does get sacked then football has hit an all time low.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My money is on him going and Mourinho coming in.

Jamie
    Free Member

If Arsene gets sacked I will eat my feet.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are cheesy feet iDiet compliant?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If Arsene gets sacked I will eat my feet.

Can you video this and post when done?

ta

EDIT – Careful with the cheesy feet comments please!

Jamie
    Free Member

Are cheesy feet iDiet compliant?

You know my feet are nicotine stained, and not cheesy, Darcy.

Can you video this and post when done?

Will do. In HD!

RichPenny
    Free Member

whilst other clubs spend the same amount on proven, experienced proffessionals and experience more success, baffles me.

The clubs more successful than Arsenal have spent loads more. This table is a year out of date, but gives the gist of things. Arsenal in 11th in terms of spending on players, clearly outperforming on that basis. Would be a shame to see him go as his sides are consistently entertaining for the neutral.

Spending in the PL era

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀

binners

Arsene gets sacked and replaced with someone who will achieve much much more with the same resources, such as….

erm…

erm…

erm…Tell you what, I’ll get back to you on that

Its just a blip. I wouldn’t look to the manager. He’s quality and plays great football. I’d look to players who bailed out for the cash, and the ones left who have failed to step up. There are no leaders on the pitch. They need a Viera figure to shout at people/scare the living daylights out of everyone

Bregante

piedi di formaggio – Member

EDIT – Careful with the cheesy feet comments please!
    😆

CaptJon
    Free Member

If they sack Wenger they’ll have to increase the salary cap to attract a decent replacement. Has Mourinho ever had to balance the books?

Once the new UEFA regs about money come in Arsenal will be in a very good position because they have so little debt. They are the model the rest of the premiership should be following to make football more sustainable.

Jamie
    Free Member

The new regs will be dodged by the bigger clubs somehow.

muggomagic

a bad start? I heard a stat the other day that they had only won 3 and drawn 7 of their last 16 league games. That’s just 16 points in just under half a seasons worth of games. Keep that up and he will become a legend as the 1st manager to take Arsenal down.

If they do sack him, they better not get any ideas about carjacking the Gus bus.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would be ‘err’ sad to see ‘err’ him ‘err’ go though.

‘err’

Certainly hasn’t had a good start to the season but he seems (in general) to be an honest and principled man who will be hurting inside as much as any die-hard Gooner.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Take arsenal down? I think someone’s overreacting a tad.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How’s your French masty?

Jamie
    Free Member

Certainly hasn’t had a good start to the season but he seems (in general) to be an honest and principled man who will be hurting inside as much as any die-hard Gooner.

As Muggo said, it has been downhill since they hit the self destruct button against Birmingham in the Carling Cup last season. Going to be interesting to watch tonight’s game against Shrewsbury, as Oxlade, Park, Miyaichi etc look to be getting a run out.

Garry_Lager

Can’t see a man like Wenger getting sacked from Arsenal, the wheels would have to be well and truly off for that to happen (although give it time eh?). An amicable parting of the ways though, it’s in the post – end of this season probably.

Do them both good – Wenger seems completely unbalanced at times. I guess all managers have their wobbly phases, it’s the game, but Wenger could do with a break more than most.

muggomagic

i’ve always admired Wenger and Arsenal’s style of football, but I got the impression that the man had lost the plot when he took a very poor side to old trafford this season and obviously told them just to go for it hence the score line. Most managers with a team missing 5 or 6 key players would play a little more defensively and play for a point or maybe nick a win.
    I hope they stay up as I fancy a trip to the emirates next season.

binners

The new regs will be dodged by the bigger clubs somehow.

You mean like getting your mate who owns an airline to pay £400 million for the naming rights to your stadium?

Or floating a dodgy bond issue on the Singapore stock exchange?

Or threatening to have everyone killed by your friends in the KGB if they kick up a fuss? 😉

timc
    Free Member

The so called balancing of the books & lack of transfer market muscle is what essentially led too the best two players leaving this summer.

That said, I would not be surprised to see arsenal smash their club record to sign Edin Hazard this January / next summer

Jamie
    Free Member

@TimC

Buying the players is not the problem, they offered £30m for Goetze in the window, it is accommodating the wage demands of the best players into their fixed wage structure. Which, even Arteta had to take a pay cut to fit into.

timc
    Free Member

Agree with wages, disagree with buying players

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How’s your French masty?

Point taken 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Nice table RichPenny. I’m more talking about individual signings. Oxade-Chamberlain or whatever he’s called. Was that £12m or something? Vs what other teams seem to be able to get for £12m – Van Der Vaart was £8m? Instant impact player who can win games now. Wenger seems to spend big money on young English players and then spend the rest of his pocket money on rubbish/mediocre foreign rubbish. Obviously he’s not got the spending power of the Chelseas and Man Citys of the world but when Spurs are signing players of Van Der Vaarts quality and even QPR are signing players like SWP etc, questions have got to be asked of Arsenals or more specifically, Wengers transfer policy.

IMHO of course, not arguing that he’s a rubbish manager but something needs to change. Going years and years and not really coming close to winning anything but the FA Cup, you gotta ask questions.

binners

There was a very funny comment on 5 Live about Wengers transfer dealings, along the lines of

“Arsene looks like the bloke doing all his Christmas shopping at nine o clock on Christmas Eve at the 24 hour garage at the bottom of the road”

😆

rootes1

going tonight to see Shrewsbury Town beat Arsenal tonight!

sobriety
    Free Member

Arsene knows, although I’m not sure what.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

As Muggo said, it has been downhill since they hit the self destruct button against Birmingham in the Carling Cup last season. Going to be interesting to watch tonight’s game against Shrewsbury, as Oxlade, Park, Miyaichi etc look to be getting a run out.

I’d rather see ‘wax on, wax off’ or oxtail soup in the first team ahead of arse shaving straight away, has got to be the most frustrating player I’ve ever watched.

Bring back Vivas and Stepanovs, at least they only let in 6 at Old Trafford. 😀

trailmonkey

as a neutral it seems a little sad to see the way that he’s gone from the manager of the invincibles to this rather bemused and befuddled character.

in many ways i don’t think he’s helped himself, too stubborn and too reliant on the idea that playing a european style game in the epl will somehow result in winning the title.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It just gets better and better. 😡

Junkyard
    Free Member

he should not go but I think it is the wages that is the issue that forces him to buy young players. Arteta took a pay cut to join them
    I suspect he takes a lot of flack instead of the board
    Nothing but respect for him but he does need to but some older experienced players. I dont think you can win the PL without some steel tbh

trailmonkey

I dont think you can win the PL without some steel tbh playing crash, bang, wallop, football when you need to

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Ohh dear – is this the end of Arsene Wenger?’ is closed to new replies.