Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Oh wise bearded folk of STW…..I need a LEFT handed rear 10spd shifter!
  • walla24
    Free Member

Preferably 1:1 ratio for use with SRAM.

It’s for a mate who can only use his left arm so has gears and both(!) brakes running off his left side.

If not to buy, anyone know anyway to bodge/machine one?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Friction thumb shifter with Paul Components thumb mount?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gripshift on the wrong side?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    walla24
    Free Member

thanks paul, just looking at how that might work.

no beer- must be thumbshifter

paulosoxo
    Free Member

A cheaper option might be to use a slightly wider bar and cut the grips and try and mount both shifters on one side? Not sure how that will work out though.

leffeboy

is it possible to mount a standard right hand shifter upside down on the left, like we used to do with thumbies? (disclaimer: I have never had a beard)

duncancallum

can you make a ushaped clamp to invert a right shifter?

nedrapier

Sram tt500 is a 10 speed 1:1 bar end shifter. Think you can get Pauls adapters to convert them to thumbies. I’m just using the rear as 1×10, and

I’ve got it in the LH drop bar end on the cx type thing. Had some problems with my shoulder so shifted it from the RH side.

walla24
    Free Member

he has previously been using both front and rear on the left with the rear mounted upside down which isn’t ideal really.

building him up something new for his paralympic training so looking to keep it as tidy as possible

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

building him up something new for his paralympic training so looking to keep it as tidy as possible

is it worth trying an email to Shimano or Sram to see if they would fashion one up, considering the circumstances?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

is it worth trying an email to Shimano or Sram to see if they would fashion one up, considering the circumstances?

I was thinking something similar about Hope. Might not be the first choice in shifters but might enjoy the challenge, supporting UK para-cycling opportunity?

nedrapier

sorry, just realised the limitations of my suggestion! Doesn’t matter which bar end you shove em in, but obviously it makes a difference when you’re mounting them on the adapters. I reckon custom machining a mount for the TT500 would be the way to go.

I’d start with porterjamie/jamieporter off here, BETD/Goldtec and Hope.

nedrapier

Or even easier (and if it fits with the brake setup) get the r/h one and mount it under the bar.

JoB
    Free Member

could you use a Shimano Dual-Control lever for the front mech and a normal RH shifter mounted on the left for the rear?

Mike_D
    Free Member

Way uncheap option, but XTR Di2 with the synchro shift gubbinses turned on.

old_mtber
    Free Member

Have a word with Mojo in Risca. I am fairly sure that they built up a bike for a member of staff or similar with just this problem.
    I also met a guy in the Wyre Forest a few years ago who only had one useable arm and had all controls on one side so must be doable.

tiredjohn

I’ve just had a poke around in an old 10 speed x7 shifter. It looks like you should be able to swap out the flywheels between a left hand 2/3 speed front mech and the ten speed one which will turn the left hand one ten speed

It is a bit fiddly though…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ber end shifter in a short bar end mounted in board of the grip ?

Ive done this in the past for a customer who had lost his hand and just had a platform on the rhs for his wrist to rest on , on 9speed , i used a modified duarace tt thumbie on the pauls mount for the rear gears , a grip shift for the front gears

Two brake levers one on top of the other , with the rear being independant and front proportional to the rear via a linkage.

The fella was over the moon compared to what another local shop had done and just thrown all the controls onto the same side with no thought to how he was actually going to operate it- it was a nightmare for me to ride and i had both hands.

ratherbeintobago

Way uncheap option, but XTR Di2 with the synchro shift gubbinses turned on.

This. Apparently road Di2 has taken off in a big way with the road Paralympic community.

thomthumb
    Free Member

CTC (local group or forum) might be able to help – they do a lot for disability cycling.

walla24
    Free Member

amazing suggestions thanks all, we have converted him to 1×10 with a cassette extender to do away with the front shifter.

tiredjon you are a braver man than me! they are a right pain to get back and re-sprung but I may have a look with a beer later.

Ha…I can confirm that sadly Di2 is waaay over budget 😀

walla24
    Free Member

nedraper would they then have an index ‘click’ or be purely friction?

walla24
    Free Member

trailrat Yeah he is too nice to say but I think he’s a bit sick of just having an upside down shifter! Will be ace to sort him something comfortable.

I’l ask about a dual-hydraulic lever in another thread late on 😉

tiredjohn

tiredjon you are a braver man than me! they are a right pain to get back and re-sprung but I may have a look with a beer later.

It’s not too bad, you have to have the cable removed and make sure the shifter is set in the lowest (most relaxed) position. The spring on the blue top section of the internals shouldn’t be too tight and it is reasonably easy to take out and reset. It helps a bit to tape down or otherwise secure the main assembly around the edges of the shifter housing because you don’t have to move these. Then undo the center retaining bolt and the bits you need -the blue plastic cable retainer and the flywheel – should just lift out.

(Hmm, I wonder if dremmeling in another notch on that fly wheel would turn it into an 11 speed set up?)

schmiken

I’ve done this before for a customer. Chap had no right hand but enjoyed mountain biking. I put a RH gripshift on the left side, along with a Dia Compe Tech99 lever pulling two BB7s from one side. Worked exceptionally well after some fettling. If hydraulic is necessary you could run them into a Hope V Twin?

ratherbeintobago

If hydraulic is necessary you could run them into a Hope V Twin?

I think one of the Hope founders runs both calipers off one lever using some sort of splitter – this was in a mag article about going riding with them a while back. Should be feasible (I think) but I’m not sure how you’d adjust balance.

vincienup
    Free Member

Some sort of adjustable flow restriction (like a needle valve) ought to give the sort of tunable brake bias you want if running both off one lever. Essentially that’s how it works in a car hydraulic circuit, except that for standard cooking road cars the flow restrictor is preset and non adjustable.

midlifecrashes

When you get to brakes, I know Magura do a system called Big Twin for kids motos and trikes/recumbents and the like.

nedrapier

walla – it’s clicky only – no friction option.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Oh wise bearded folk of STW…..I need a LEFT handed rear 10spd shifter!’ is closed to new replies.