• This topic has 25 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • oh well that's my afternoon wasted – Drone content
  • Sui
    Free Member

how much fun and how frustrating are these things..

ahwiles
    Free Member

that’s not a ‘drone’.

that’s a radio-controlled quad-copter.

(drones are autonomous)

Sui
    Free Member

😛 pedant 😛

tthew

I’ve got a £1000 one sat beside me right this minute with the batteries charged waiting to go and look for casing cracks in a power station boiler. 😐

In an hours time I expect to have a £0 collection of plastic and wires sat under my desk hoping the boss doesn’t notice. 😳

Sui
    Free Member

this little bugger is hard enough to control, don’t suppose your fasands of pounds one will be any easier?

The batteries have now run out (got 2 sets), so waiting for them to charge – it’s just sat there blinking it’s little lights at me like like the characters out of Batteries not Included..

edit to add – should put it back in the box, it’s supposed to be an xmas present..

tthew

Should be easier. It has a compass, accelerometers and GPS stabilisation. This means it will hover in one point and even return to home in the event of it loosing radio contact.

The weak link is definitely the pilot.

And the compass and GPS won’t work inside a big metal box.

tthew

I really should practice more with it, but it does seem a bit like just playing when I should be working.

The hardest thing is getting your head round the way the controls effectively change direction when it’s not pointing forwards, same as any RC vehicle, buy at least cars and boats don’t have too far to fall!

lcj

I got one of those recently, definitely get yourself some spare rotors, batteries and motors! It’s a lot of fun, but not easy. I bought the rotor guard and it smashed on the first use. Much easier to fly outside in a big space rather than indoors where its own turbulence seems to interfere with it.

STATO
    Free Member

tthew – hope you have a licence to operate that for business use ;0)

Sui
    Free Member

oh the Stasi have turned up 😉

have been getting the feeling that indoors is not best. I’ve managed to mangle the end of the rotors already (there is a spare set), I’ve got one of those guards turning up at some point (though can’t understand why it’s not with it).

fasthaggis

I’ve got a £1000 one sat beside me right this minute with the batteries charged waiting to go and look for casing cracks in a power station boiler in the neighbor’s garden.

🙂

tthew

hope you have a licence to operate that for business use ;0)

Nope. Inside the factory boundary only, and areas barriered off to keep the ‘uncontrolled’ out.

I know what you are getting at though, I’ve seen some of those films of people flying over Nottingham Goose fair, football grounds and the like. Having had this one go out of control a couple of times, (happens VERY quickly) I’d not want to risk flying over people or property. Mine weighs c. 1.5kg, quite a mass to fall from height, and 100m looks pretty bloody high when you have it up there.

phiiiiil

I think I’m just about getting the hang of mine, but I managed to fly the thing into my neck the other day. Despite having the plastic prop guard on it still really hurt and I’ve got big red blotches where it hit now, I look like I’ve had a close run-in with the mob.

phiiiiil

ps. mine came with the prop guard sellotaped to the underneath of the plastic inner box; I didn’t notice it at first. You may have one without knowing it…

Milkie
    Free Member

Bigger ones are easier to fly, now go buy a bigger one. 😉

When flying miniature drones and heli’s around the home, you have to know where the drafts and air flow is and use it to your advantage.

I have to wait until May/June for my drone to turn up, I hope I get a mini quadcopter for Christmas… Again!

bencooper
    Free Member

e seen some of those films of people flying over Nottingham Goose fair, football grounds and the like. Having had this one go out of control a couple of times, (happens VERY quickly) I’d not want to risk flying over people or property. Mine weighs c. 1.5kg, quite a mass to fall from height, and 100m looks pretty bloody high when you have it up there.

Too right – first thing I always set up when I was building them was to set the biggest, easiest-to-reach switch to be the position hold switch. So if there’s a panic you can flick the switch and it’ll stop whatever it’s doing.

I did have one break a rotor mid-flight – the computer couldn’t correct for that, that was a hairy 10 seconds.

tthew

panic you can flick the switch and it’ll stop whatever it’s doing

The one I have is a DJI, and the controllers are both spring loaded to return to centre, which I like. Theoretically when the worst happens, just let go of everything and it should just hang where it is. I would however just like to reiterate –

The weak link is definitely the pilot

wwaswas

that was a hairy 10 seconds.

It crashed into a yeti?

IA

Nope. Inside the factory boundary only, and areas barriered off to keep the ‘uncontrolled’ out.

It’s not just about where you fly, it’s about if you’re conducting “aerial work” or not:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pageid=16006

The area might be under your control, but flying for commercial purposes means you need CAA permission.

Theoretically when the worst happens, just let go of everything and it should just hang where it is.

Google “DJI flyaway bug” 😉

Sui
    Free Member

Phiiiiii – nope just checked 🙁

now do i get it back out of the box for some more “ahem” lessons…?

tthew

Yeah, I read all that, and the big phat regulations that go with it. I decided that the second bit

Permission is not required if the aircraft will not be flown close to people or properties, and you will not get ‘valuable consideration’ (i.e. payment) from the flight, then a permission is not needed;

was more pertinent as I don’t contract the service out, it’s owned by this site for use within this site only, so there’s no payment.

Plus, you’ll never take me alive Copper!

IA

was more pertinent as I don’t contract the service out, it’s owned by this site for use within this site only, so there’s no payment.

Yup, but you’re doing it on work time (and being paid) I assume? This causes journalists issues, as if they want to do drone qualifications they end up training on their own time as they can’t do it on work time for this reason. Of course if your lawyers are happy your insurance covers it, by all means crack on…

I agree you’re probably fine from a public safety standpoint, it’s the liability when you pile it into something expensive I’d be worried about…

crazy-legs

When flying miniature drones and heli’s around the home, you have to know where the drafts and air flow is and use it to your advantage.

Flying them low to the floor is actually worse as it tends to bounce around on the air cushion (and it actually kicks up a hell of a draft!). Get them a bit higher and it settles down nicely.

Yes, big ones are definitely much easier, they’re less pushed around by air currents and they tend to have a bit more tech built in – things like GPS auto-hover, return-to-home etc.

Sui
    Free Member

ok, so it’s just ended up in next doors garden after a gust of wind took it 😳 grown man having to knock on the door to get his toy back!

tis definitely easier outside though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve put away my sons (ahem!)christmas present. Its a Hubsan Quadcopter nano, its had a quick test flight in the office and I’ve put it away before I break it.

Sui
    Free Member

Hubsan X4?? That’s what i got..

edit, it’s also my sons….. He’s not even 3 yet.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘oh well that's my afternoon wasted – Drone content’ is closed to new replies.