Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Oh poo, crimetastic 12 weeks of kidnapping pant filling existance
  • iDave
    Free Member

Just heard I'm being sent to the city with the second highest crime rate in the world, after Mexico city.

Sao Paulo will be my new home for 3 months.

On a positive, 2 competitors have tried to head hunt me already, my new landlady is a gorgeous lady artist, and I'll live 3 miles from Interlagos.

On a negative, I'm seriously kacking my pants

locomotive

at least its not boring eh!

Id go.

Xylene
    Free Member

Don't worry about it.

MrNutt
    Free Member

think of the money you'll save on food if kidnapped!

bruneep

…and the overtime you'll be due.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Sepultura are from there so it can't be too bad.

Also, it's Tunbridge Wells compared to Ciudad Juárez

tails
    Free Member

After reading alot on these kinda cities, your very unlikely to find trouble unless you go find it.

So keep out of the Inglewood/compton type areas and you'll be fine.

iDave
    Free Member

I'm kind of OK, just been given some advice by a friend there who has been kidnapped twice. And if it goes well I get to move to Rio.

SSBonty
    Free Member

Seriously mexico city is the worst for crime in the world? Spent a week and a half there working days and exploring eves n weekends, wandering lost looking for private apartment addresses to stay in, on the tube right across the city, random buses and bus stations v early am and late pm to go see aztec pyramids outside town. Super friendly and helpful people, no hassle whatsoever, great food n attitude to life, tubes were the most amazingly on time, clean, fast, ridiculously regular service of any city in the world Ive visted… Only negative was the traffic but then as I wasnt driving I just got the tube everywhere. Had honestly no idea it was anywhere near that bad. Wow. Chicago bus station at 3am on the same trip was 10 times worse!

iDave
    Free Member

I'm guessing Mogadishu may be worse than both of them, but it's what I was told therefore is more dramatic in a post.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

never mind mogadishu, have you ever been to swansea ?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Spent a short while there and it wasnt as crazy as it sounds. Still be careful etc etc. The sheer flipping size of the place is the one truly outstanding memory.

Have you been to a developing world country before? If so it's better than a lot of places.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Aw Dave – Belo Horizonte is where it's at!

I may bump into you in Sao Paulo ay?

Good luck with the move and yeah, maybe see you on the beach at Rio 8)

turboferret

Sao Paulo isn't too bad, as it's spread out the safe(er) areas are quite separated from the bad areas. In Rio it's all very mixed due to the favelas surrounding the nice areas on the steep hillsides.

I loved my time in Rio though (6 months), didn't spend too much time in Sao Paulo but did make regular visits.

Food is excellent, people are friendly, beer is cheap. I did lots of cycling in Brazil too.

Have fun!

Cheers, Rich

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

What tyres for an 8 by 2 concrete cell?

BigJohn

You'll be fine as long as you're not the sort of person who winds people up just for the fun of it.

Just sent you am MP3 that reminds me of you. "I think I might fly down to Rio…"

-m-
    Free Member

Sao Paulo isn't too bad – as others have said, there is 'risk' in most places if you're not careful.

Having said that, I have a (Brazilian) colleague who was doing an MTB race in a park in the Sao Paulo area that had to be stopped after a competitor was shot by a gang that stole his bike…

…then there was the time I was working in Rio and an (armed) gang went the length of Ipanema and Copacabana beaches relieving everyone of anything valuable…

But seriously, Brazil is a great place (AWESOME even).

hora
    Free Member

Just remember to practice giving good head incase it helps with the Kidnappers.

iDave
    Free Member

I'm looking forward to it really. Been waiting since June for the final word. As for the gangs, us country boys from 1970's Ulster have dealt with worse…

ourmaninthenorth

an (armed) gang went the length of Ipanema and Copacabana beaches relieving everyone of anything valuable

Which is why, when I went there, we stuck to Leblon beach. 😉

Mrs North has been to SP – only briefly. She had a mad dash taxi ride through the city from one airport to another. She said it was scary, but not as scary as being in a police car in Fortaleza chasing armed robbers.

iDave
    Free Member

Recently police in Rio spotted a gang leaving a party at one flavela to go back to theirs. bit of a hoo-haa, gang went into the intercontinental, took 35 hostages, 3 hours, 1 death and 1000 rounds of ammo later, it's back to normal. Not sure about taking my Cotic as my daily commute – heard the done thing is to ride into the traffic 😯

vinnyeh

an (armed) gang went the length of Ipanema and Copacabana beaches relieving everyone of anything valuable

We didn't realise the score when we went- wife and I walked back from a club at about 4am, along the length of Copacabana and Ipanema to our hotel, picking up beer and coconuts from those stalls, and had no hassle.
    Stayed in Copacabana another time, and realised that when the sun goes down even one block back from the beach is into really dicey territory.
    omitn, can't believe you didn't see Sao Paolo, we went to half a dozen places, and every flight used Sao Paolo as a hub. Hellishly frustrating when you fly from one place in the north, to another and have to travel down and up most of the country to do it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Oh poo, crimetastic 12 weeks of kidnapping pant filling existance’ is closed to new replies.