Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Oh my word, the village I grew up in – Poynton – is in the Dail Fail!
  • julians
    Free Member

Escept that it’s cut accidents and made life much easier for pedestrians & cyclists since it was implemented

Balls, I speak as someone who cycles through the new Poynton, its much worse

RicB

I grew up in Poynton and I think it’s still pretty good. There used to be loads of hassle with teenagers (of which I was one!) hanging about on park lane in the evenings at weekends, not helped by the ‘Fisher serving anyone who looked over the age of 12.

The shared-space road developments have brought some positives but also some negatives, the main one being running out of funds because of appalling project management and ending up with two ridiculously difficult to navigate roundabouts (there were supposed to be two fountains) in the centre.

There are some major NIMBY’s but I still find the atmosphere quite relaxed and welcoming when I go back. Glad to hear the il Pom is still going. How about the Tarantella? I remember hanging outside years ago waiting for the Utd players to come out after their xmas meal. Andy Cole was really rude and shoved a group of kids aside. The sight of a beige volvo crashing into the side of his black M3 seemed too good to be true!

On another note – I hear ‘spoons isn;t doing too well and might not be there much longer.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Funny how the little village we grew up in has three regular members of STW and one World MTB DH Champion.

Waves back to Martyn

yunki
    Free Member

Golly! 😯

slowoldman

They have Waitrose in the grim Northern wastelands now?

Whatever next!
    It took Booths to demonstrate it would be worthwhile.

AlexSimon

one World MTB DH Champion

Junior?

FWIW I love the planning scheme.
    (Bollington resident with son at Poynton High)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ah, Bollington, the town/village famed for having the highest concentration of pubs of any town or village in the country.

Does every town/village claim this?

Melbourne, Derbyshire, 7 pubs, 1500 people, although Ticknall down the road has 3 yet can’t seem to support a village shop?

fionap

I grew up in a village with a Sainsbury’s, M&S, Boot’s, Superdrug and about 10,000 residents. Still a village.

That’s not a village, that’s a metropolis! I grew up in a proper village – about 20 houses and a small primary school.

grum
    Free Member

Isn’t this story just an Aldi press release they’ve managed to get printed instead of paying for advertising?

They have Waitrose in the grim Northern wastelands now?

Whatever next!

They do yeah – Waitrose is like Iceland compared to Booths which is what they have in the nice bits.

dazh

I think Binners may have been mixing it up with Knutsford or Alderley Edge?

Maybe not. Poynton’s one of those places where people who can’t afford to live in the footballers and B-List celebrity zone of Wilmslow – Hale – Knutsford – Prestbury go. As a result they probably feel the need to splash out on silly status-affirming vehicles.

Mrs Daz grew up in Prestbury. When she moved down to Sevenoaks aged 12 she was regarded at school as the rough northerner 🙂

AlexSimon

Does every town/village claim this?

indeed and about 5 have closed down in the few years I’ve lived here.
    I think we might be down to about 35 pubs now (pop 8310)

plumber
    Free Member

Cheshire cheese is the best cheese in the world

agreed

IHN

one World MTB DH Champion.

Am I? That’s nice 🙂

MartynS

one World MTB DH Champion.
    Am I? That’s nice

Really, really not….

geetee1972
    Free Member

Am I? That’s nice

Depends on how you interpret the word ‘downhill’. If it’s in the context of ‘it’s all downhill from here’, then maybe (though we all qualify for that title).

Maybe not. Poynton’s one of those places where people who can’t afford to live in the footballers and B-List celebrity zone of Wilmslow – Hale – Knutsford – Prestbury go.

Maybe or maybe they move there because the local schools are really very good. Poynton High School used to regularly get results on a par with Stockport Grammar for example. Not sure what it’s like now.

beagle
    Free Member

Or perhaps closer to the hills?

Or don’t want to live in those pretentious areas?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Oh my word, the village I grew up in – Poynton – is in the Dail Fail!’ is closed to new replies.