Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Oh my. That is nice.
  • matt_outandabout

Or in green flavour:

Dont bother wrapping it, I will take a green one with that white/silver panel detail please.

ska-49
    Free Member

They are lovely bikes BUT that price tag makes me cry..

matt_outandabout

Cheaper than a Niner carbon or many titanium wonders.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sweet baby Jesus that’s lovely. Soooooo cleanly designed and finished. Love the internal cable routing. Thanks for posing that.
    I’ll have the grey one please 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

Lovely looking.
    The front brake cable is a tad long on the green one..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheaper than a Niner carbon or many titanium wonders.

Only by a smidge, and it’ll be nowhere near as light? Very pretty though, but I’d probably have the niner.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Err, what is it exactly? There’s no name on it.

wwaswas

someone’s already made a mess at the top left of the first pic.

mangoridebike

green one says enigma on the seat tube I think?

amplebrew

I think the green one is in their sale at the mo.

stevied
    Free Member

http://www.enigmabikes.com/bike/bike-enigma-ego29er-st.html

Check the overview weight, Jees it’s light 😉

matt_outandabout

😯 8)

RustySpanner

Going to feel harsh with that seat tube, isn’t it?

wwaswas

it’s probably thinner gauge than most alloy seatposts?

richmtb

Meh!

Looks like a hardtail with skinny tubes an big wheels

amedias
    Free Member

The green one looked lovely in the flesh at the Bristol hand made bike thingy earlier in the year, even for a bike with clown wheels 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Can I have one with a dropper post? 😉

amplebrew

I reckon it would look much nicer without the integrated post and a set of forks to match the frame profile.

D0NK

are they trying to do an english and not quite succeeding? green one looks ok but the paint job on the first one makes it look well weird, might be better in the flesh but that pic looks a bit minging

starrman82
    Free Member

Is that £1500 for a steel frame??

wrecker
    Free Member

Is that £1500 for a steel frame??

Gotta be whole bike. Otherwise, frankly they’re taking the piss.

rewski
    Free Member

Prefer the ego st 26er

Bregante

Nope. Full bike is £3385 in the clearance sale so £1500 must be frame only. 😯

Nice though

bencooper
    Free Member

How much do people think a handmade* steel frame should cost?

*I’ve not looked into the brand at all – just assuming here.

wwaswas

I’d rather pay £1500 for one of these than a lot of similar priced US designed carbon hardtails and Ti frames.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Those forks look like a surgical support. Yuk.

makeitorange
    Free Member

Those forks look like a surgical support. Yuk.

Have to agree, nice frame shame about the forks, would look nicer with some simple, thinner forks with circular cross section like project 2s IMO.

Kryton57

I’ve been pointing people at this for a while. Expensive? Not “just” steel though is it:

“Fully fillet brazed Columbus 29R niobium tubes” as follows:

“NIOBIUM

It’s a special micro alloyed steel with Manganese, Chrome, Nickel, Molybdenum and Niobium. In the Columbus research and development tradition it can be considered the evolution from of the Thermacrom and Nivacrom alloy. It’s designed to provide better mechanical properties and greater resistance to atmospheric corrosion than conventional carbon steels. For every top-of-the-line and competition frames where lightness and high reliability are fundamental. Like Vanadium in Thermacrom steel, Niobium increases yield strength by precipitation hardening and acts for refinement of grain size. Thanks to the special Columbus chemical composition, the combined effect of precipitation strengthening, and grain refinement the properties are incredibly increased inith respect. To standard steels. Niobium is a more effective strengthening agent than Vanadium. After mechanical deformation working and drawing, NIOBIUM undergoes a special heat treatment that gives the steel its final characteristics; this heat treatment is designed to minimize the tubes distortion and decarbonization phenomena. Columbus heat treatment results in a super fine high-strength microstructure of bainite, wich means high strength, hardness and long fatigue life.
    Mechanical characteristics:
    Ultimate tensile strength = 1050 ÷ 1250 MPa
    Yeld strength: min 750 MPa
    Minimum elongation: 14%”

Pretty special, and pretty exclusive.

mtbfix

Ok so it is an expensive frame, but surely better that a few British blokes get paid a living wage for the assembly, spraying and finishing of a really very nice bike than some kid in China on a wage that would be insulting in the developed world laying out carbon sheets before the frame gets shoved in a huge oven and then shipped half way around the world?

bencooper
    Free Member

Especially as carbon, if anything, costs less than good steel.

nedrapier

If Reynolds 853 UTS is 1250-1400 MPa, I’m erring back to “not that special”

bencooper
    Free Member

UTS isn’t the only important factor with steel – if your frame is getting anywhere near it’s failure limit, you’ve got problems.

nedrapier

no, fair enough, but if kryton’s copying in a load of marketing gumpf about ( I think) relatively common steel alloy ingredients, with some numbers at the bottom as a way of proving how special something is, I thought I’d do the same for 853, minus the spiel.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yeah, all manufacturers produce guff like that 😉

Kryton57

It is off Columbus web site. It was the lightness and uniqeness of the material is the point I was making.

Anyway, its not my argument to have. Why not email / call Enigma? They are very helpful chaps and I’m sure they’d be happy to explain thier material choice and price point.

bencooper
    Free Member

…and it’s not far off what I’d charge for a similar frame. You’re not really paying for the materials (just as you aren’t with carbon) you’re paying for the time and skills needed to build it.

Kryton57

If Enigma are at the London Bike show with “show prices” like Whyte were laet year, I’m going to struggle to visit thier stand as I’d be putting the family in debt. 😥

JRTG
    Free Member

I spoke to them and they would do it in singlespeed (the new paragon swinging dropouts as this comes with the standard ones) and in normal seat post flavour too……. Imagine that!

mattjg
    Free Member

Like.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Oh my. That is nice.’ is closed to new replies.