• This topic has 35 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Oh my!
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

edd

F-Type coupe…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I must say, they really have upped thier game in the design stakes.

Hats off to them, though I’d suggest theres still a bit of timber adorning one of the dashboards.. 😆

Popular around that Canary Wharf they are..

thegreatape
    Free Member

Saw a silver one (convertible, obviously) on the M8 the other day. Splendid thing.

nickdavies

Gorgeous, up to the point where they put the brake calipers on opposite sides and painted them yellow to make it really obvious. That annoys me!

I think I saw one on the M40 the other day, it was dark and the car was covered in chequerboard but definitely had the right rear light profile for an F type coupe.

timc
    Free Member

nickdavies – Member

Gorgeous, up to the point where they put the brake calipers on opposite sides and painted them yellow to make it really obvious. That annoys me!

See that a lot on high(er) performance cars

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Ceramic brakes. You’ve got to have something to show for the £5k price tag.

Northwind

Those calipers are just one step away from just spraypainting TOX on the side.

Rio

Apparently it’s a hatchback, wonder if you can get a bike in the back?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDK-lXFdJMk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think the position of the calipers is a technical thing. Agree about the colour though. I imagine yellow=ceramic=option and therefore can be avoided!

igm

Keeps weight inboard off the axles?

Presumably yellow paint is higher performance than black or silver.

jools182
    Free Member

that is a lovely shape

if they changed the colour of the calipers it would look even better

Houns

Drool

I’m sure you can spec the caliper colour

thegreatape
    Free Member

I should probably have said I assume rather than I think, as this is based on spending too much time reading car mags and not on any technical knowledge, and therefore could be bollocks!

JAG

I think the position of the calipers is a technical thing. Agree about the colour though. I imagine yellow=ceramic=option and therefore can be avoided!

Position – You’re right, position of the calipers is for technical reasons.

Yellow – is the market accepted colour for Carbon-Ceramic brakes and yes they are an option (the colour can’t be changed!) 8)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is the technical reason what igm suggested, or something else?

JAG

Not what igm said – Sorry

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I thought it was an aston martin when i saw the picture. yawn.

votchy
    Free Member

I think I saw one on the M40 the other day, it was dark and the car was covered in chequerboard but definitely had the right rear light profile for an F type coupe.

Carry over tail lamps from convertible.

cranberry
    Free Member

It is nice.

Any idea how much I can get for a fairly well looked after kidney ?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I thought it was an aston martin when i saw the picture. yawn.

Yeah, I kinda assumed that the Aston Martin designer was now freelancing.

markrtw
    Free Member

The brake position is for technical reasons. The front caliper cools better in the rearward position, but is harder to package with the steering arms etc, that’s why regular cars don’t. Also they prefer to keep the weight within the axles rather than overhanging.
    At least that was the explanation I was given by brake system engineers when I asked the question when I worked at a sports car company.

mightymule
    Free Member

I need one of those.

thepurist

Sniff Petrol on the case already…

igm

JAG, markrtw – looks like between you I’m getting half marks, as if it were just the cooling the rear one would be at the back. No?

andyl
    Free Member

ahh I saw the chequered one last week on the M5 heading north from bristol. I wondered why an F-type was done up like that, didn’t click that is was a coupe.

As for brake calipers is it something to do with wheel bearing loads under braking? But still not sure why it would be different front to back.

Or is it due to other suspension/steering linkages?

JAG

Front caliper; the rear mounting position gives good cooling access to the disc and clearance during steering and suspension movement.

Rear caliper; the front mounting position provides clearance to parts of the suspension and allows room for the separate parking brake caliper on the CCM system.

They weight of the calipers is insignificant to the cars total Moment of Inertia and the braking loads are factored into the wheel bearing design.

oxym0r0n

Oh my!

I’ve forgotten to pack the blueberry pie!

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d lose my license in a single evening if I had something like that. I mean, it’s beautiful, but what’s the point when you can rarely go over 30mph. I guess if you can afford a car like that you can afford the barrister that’ll stop you losing your license.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Looks good, sounds great. What’s not to like?

CountZero

Not been a huge fan of Jaguar styling generally, tending to prefer Aston Martin, but that is, frankly, sex on a stick!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Brake calipers to the rear is to make room for the brake cooling ducts. It’s not really feasible to route around the back of a front mounted caliper. Prestige car with ceramic brakes and big yellow calipers is cool. Beaux hall nova with plastic bits stuck on and calipers painted yellow is not cool!

SammyC
    Free Member

My sister is in LA at the moment supporting the launch event. 🙂

thepurist

SammyC’s sister :

(stolen from the GIFs thread)

I_Ache
    Free Member

I saw a coupé this morning, in Tamworth of all places. It looked bloody lovely. I might have to put on my best suit and pretend that I won the lottery so I can get a test drive.

LoCo
    Free Member

Want want want want!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Oh my!’ is closed to new replies.