Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Oh man Im Going to Oman
  • earl_brutus

Ok so I picked up some work in Oman, Muscat and Salalah mainly and if I am good ill have a couple of days off each month to go MTB’ing, has anyone been out there? whats the score etc Im aware its insanely hot in the summer but there must be some good stuff in the mountains, any pointers appreciated. cheers

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope but a mate lives in Dubai.

Most riding he does is at 0430-0800 because it gets too hot in the summer, winter months they ride from 0600-0900. Often evening rides are after dark and they pack head torches and head for the mountains again, they ride 150-160 full suss because of the terrain, and carry at least a couple of liters of water each.

They have been known to ride in mid day, but it gets painfully hot 45C so on the occasion they do that someone drives a van and becomes the broom wagon for the day.

It’s hotter and rockier than you think.

Lummox

My dads been out there for a number of years, you’re right it’s redders in the summer!

Lots of ex pats means a good social scene for westerny type things, the locals are mad on petrol powered stuff like 4×4’s and quads etc.

The mountains are glorious and there are some amazing wadis tucked away in them.

Be prepared to drive a long way though, things are spread out but the major roads are great (built by the Germans)

Overall the times I’ve visited I’ve met a nation of extremely friendly, tolerant and cheeky people. Lovely place and not spoiled like Dubai -yet,

Conan257
    Free Member

As above, expect a couple of hours drive to the good bits from Muscat…

Check out the beach-bar in Muttrah… Grand Hyatt and Intercon are worth a visit for a days relaxing as well!

Very good restaurants in the city too… Probably spend all your extra pennies since it’s not cheap!

Danny79
    Free Member

I lived there for 6 years untill I was 12, it’s a great place. If I went back now I wouldn’t be too fussed biking, would be spending all my time in the sea. Some good surf spots as well as amazing snorkling and diving.

http://bikeoman.com/ seems to focus mainly on mountain biking so they should be able to give you some pointers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Oh man Im Going to Oman’ is closed to new replies.