Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • "oh look you've made a girls bike"………..new bike pics
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

I've always thought road bikes and high saddle/low bar hardtails were the best looking bikes, and so always had bikes like that.

However in hindsight my hobbit like short arms and torso were never really suited to them, so this time i decided to make the bike fun rather than pretty, and make it fit.

White small giant trance w from tree magnet (thanks!) and various other bits and here it is.

The stem is very short, a 70mm thomson will be my next purchase but i am doing some downhilly/techier than normal stuff this weekend…

ok ok it is a trance w, but it is identical to the blokes version, and i am comfy with my sexuality, however the wifes first words on seeing it were "oh look you've made a girls bike"…

she was talking about the low standover……. wasnt she??

it rides lovely, grin inducing bouncy, didnt break the bank.

let the mockery commence!

XC_PK
    Free Member

Waits for the chorus of 'Trim you steerer!' ….

racing_ralph
    Free Member

silver mings

epicsteve
    Free Member

The short TT does mark it out as a girls bike, but as long as it fits and is fun to ride I don't see that it matters.

singletracksurfer

tidy.

poof 😉

p.s. that tree looks out of control

GaryLake
    Free Member

I wouldn't be embarrassed about the women's specific frame but those dirty spokes in the last shot are unforgivable!

Olly
    Free Member

nice 🙂
    though, you may have saved your nads from the top tube, but that steerer is going to get you instead.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

lawn/ivy/fence paint/tree trim

shakes head

sofatester
    Free Member

Where did you get your bike stand? I want one of those!

BTW your garden needs a good tidy, grass mowed, Ivy cut back, fence… 😉

timdrayton
    Free Member

tt's the same as the blokes one (the frames identical),

silver is the way forward

still fiddling with stem height/length

Smee
    Free Member

Something looks just wrong with that. Layback post and such a short stem would suggest that it didn't really fit….

VanHalen

can i put some risers on it and take it down the dirt jumps?

tinsy
    Free Member

very nice, but its still very arse up head down in my opinion, so god knows what your other bikes have been like, pop all them spacers under the stem if your doing lots of going down…

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

It's so good when you ride a bike that actually fits well! It looks fun. Enjoy!

pjt201
    Free Member

Goan – Member

Something looks just wrong with that. Layback post and such a short stem would suggest that it didn't really fit….

Why do people always say this. Look at any production bike, they all come with layback seatposts (however it is likely this is at the clamp rather than with a bent post ala thomson). In fact when people try to fix things with inline posts they're probably doing more to change the handling.

Smee
    Free Member

Why did I say it? Maybe because it looks wrong to me…

timdrayton
    Free Member

goan – fairplay i tried the xs it was way too small, i have wierd proportions, with a 70mm stem it looks a lot better, it has a 40mm on in the pic, which is too short tbh

thomson layback posts are a bit marmity, i like em, and it gets me over the back of the bike which just feels better for me.

laidback position + big tyres + bouncy skill compensation = more confidence

richc
    Free Member

I think they say it, because layback posts are usually used to make a bike a bit longer, and result in your weight being further back than was originally intended by the designer. A layback post and a 40mm stem, would push your weight right back, which isn't good.

pjt201
    Free Member

richc – Member

I think they say it, because layback posts are usually used to make a bike a bit longer, and result in your weight being further back than was originally intended by the designer. A layback post and a 40mm stem, would push your weight right back, which isn't good.

What I'm saying is that most designers design their bikes to be used with layback posts though!

I think it's the thomson effect, if it were a straight post with an offset clamp one wouldn't even notice.

WackoAK
    Free Member

How wide are the bars? They look quite narrow.

scaredypants

bladed spokes on a MTB ?
    (I've led a sheltered life)

… and +1 for not liking Thomson layback posts

… and Trances are great

bigsi
    Free Member

Don't normally like the look of Giant full susser but that looks nice in silver and some how the brown saddle & grips work too.

Oh and loose the blue pot 🙄

timdrayton
    Free Member

richc, depends what you are trying to acheive.

because of short torso/arms i really struggle to get the front end up, yet i have longish legs so the 16" fits me in every other way.

the steering is too quick with the 40mm stem so a 60-70 will be perfect i reckon for xc.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

i think i know the problem – i am 5'8" ish (low centre of gravity!) and allways go for small frames, but sometimes this makes the butt to hands distance too short & cramped. Plus i like to ride more stretched out, with my rear to the back of the saddle, towards the centre of rear wheel. Answer is not to get a bigger or longer frame that 'fits' but to get the saddle further back and handlebars further forward. People do talk some nonsense about layback posts. imo if they give you the position you want on as small a frame as possible then they are good things.

racefaceec90

i like it!!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

How are you going to ride that side saddle?

topangarider
    Free Member

Amazed no-one's moaned about the front brake hose!

Trim it.

Oh, liking the brown saddle/grip combo – you just need the brown Charge chainstay protector now!

rolfharris
    Free Member

Doesn't really look like a girl's bike- it's not got swirls or flowers or owt.

timdrayton
    Free Member

oooh brown charge chainstay protector, off to google

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

oh…a girls bike…
    ur steerer tube is too long…might penetrate u

topangarider
    Free Member

Yup – I've got the brown grip/c'stay protector/saddle thing going on – gonna look great on the custard soul arriving monday!

fingerbike
    Free Member

I like that, really not a fan of long stems, like it twitchy, so the layback works…
    Just need to shorten that brake hose and get a black zip tie on the forks… 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘"oh look you've made a girls bike"………..new bike pics’ is closed to new replies.