Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Oh look – a fancy new button
  • GlenMore
    Free Member

Yellow 🙄

podman
    Free Member

I'm not in the initial phase.. 🙁 What would the £15 get me (online viewing, PDF downloads)? I've been waiting for this to appear since the digital sub's disappeared from the shop last week!

I gave the digital issue a go a few weeks ago, but I think I'd prefer the ease of a pdf file.

rs
    Free Member

so premium users are really just digital subscribers then?

Mark

rs… Right now at the first roll out Premier Users get access to our mag archive online. That's it… for now.. And by that I means for a week while we check that everything is working fine with the system. there's still a lot of database work to do yet. But.. Premier Users will not only get access to the mag in digital format. There will be new content that only they get to see from videos, galleries, downloads, audio, exclusive shop deals (they get a 10% automatic discount off everything just like a print subscriber plus discounts at the big list of bike shops at the foot of the page – Premier Club ). Tech manuals, extra features in product reviews and enhanced classified ads. That's the stuff we are currently working on rolling out but there will be more stuff as we think it up so ideas are welcome.

One thing to make clear though is that although it's a paid for section of the website everything that you have ever been able to use and access on this website will remain free to use.

So.. any ideas?
    🙂

midlifecrashes

Might be nice to have a sample up of how the digital mag works, maybe half a dozen pages. I'm still getting the American mag MBA using the Zinio app. It's as easy as an easy thing to read on screen. I'd be wary of signing up to just get something like a bare pdf which was awkward to access once I'd paid for it, but if your reader app is anywhere near as good (or better), a few sample pages might reassure.

tegski
    Free Member

Second that re the use compared to Zinio – also price compared to Zinio Mags 😕

Mark

Experience a Real Life Virtual Singletrack Mag!

That's issue 51 for you 🙂

There's not as much interactive stuff in that one as it was done retrospectively and to really enhance each issue requires us to plan it into the the schedule, but it demonstrates how the software works.

But it's important to remember that what you get for a Premier Account is not just the mag but access to a new exclusive area of the site. It just so happens that the first service within the Premier area we are offering is access to the mag in digital format.

mrchrispy

its a local button for local people. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Will you get posh font for your forum name or a little star next to it, so show you're better than everyone else? 😉

Joking aside, I might be up for this. I'll see what the options are and how much it costs. 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

One shall have ones butler investigate forthwith

juan
    Free Member

Can we get a very clear pricing etc etc.
    Not interseted in the mag (I can't see what it has to offer to me) but I quite like the news and so on here so I would like to be able to keep in touch with that.

Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I see it's breeding a STW upper class already! 🙂

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

seems like a way to fleece money out of people by making out they're VIP's or something

I was attracted to Singletrack mag in the first place because it seemed a little less corporate than the rest of the mags out there (MBR seemed to be sponsored by Singletrack, MBUK was more like a fashion mag) This kinda pisses on that for me a bit

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

How very elitist!

thepurist

Other sites I've seen go ad-free when you start paying for use.

epicyclo

aslongasithaswheels – Member
    seems like a way to fleece money out of people by making out they're VIP's or something

Fleece?

How do you suppose all this sort of thing happens? It all costs money. We want more, we pay more – simple.

Hopefully ad-free.

BigJohn

I don't find the adverts a hassle.

What I would like to see is a collection of routes in gpx format (preferably with reviews) so if you're going to a new place you can download some ideas.

A couple of months back I went to Dartmoor and posted on here. The guy who did the maps for the magazine feature emailed me the files. Really helpful, but got me thinking they should have been on the site in the first place.

Incidentally, it shows how biking has evolved over the last few years – I looked at the route guide for the Peaks in issue 2 of the mag (Summer 2001) recently. The route took you to the top of both Cavedale and the Beast, but didn't take you down either!

STATO
    Free Member

I think i have to applaud STW for giving somthing new a go. Too many mags are sitting on their laurels and not doing anything extra to add interest to their product. Im not sure how well a paid for subscription will work, its a brave move, but at least they are trying somthing different rather than plumping for the same extra stuff like rubbish videos… oops ;0)

slowjo
    Free Member

I see it's breeding a STW upper class already!

How nouveau riche….. my butler has asked his footman to ask the page to do it.

vinnyeh

Readying the site for the News International buyout I presume. 🙂

gray

I might be being a bit dim, but the system isn't 100% clear to me. I think I get it, but just in case I'm wrong or others are as dim as me…

I'm a print subscriber already, so it appears that I have two options: pay £5 extra for Premier or £10 extra for Premier Extra.

The details explicitly say that if I go for Premier Extra, then I'll still get the print copy as usual. My reading of the text ("add… to your existing subscription") is that it's implied that if I went for Premier (non-Extra) then I also would still get the print copy. So, is this right? In that case, the only difference between Premier and Premier Extra is the ability to download and print out content with Premier Extra. For stuff in the mag, that's of rather limited use, but I can see that it might be nice for some people to print out some of the extra content available only online, and indeed to download content for viewing on a train or somewhere without an internet connection. Also of course, presumably the idea is that many Premier Extra people won't be print subscribers.

One thing I am curious about – the difference between downloadability and not. How is that implemented? My internet connection at home is slow – some video streaming jobbers work OK if I leave them to cache the data for a bit, others just don't (iPlayer generally works, 4OD doesn't). Probably less of an issue for text and graphics, but if a good bit of the added value were served by video, and that didn't work for me then I'd not see the value.

I might try it – a fiver extra is a good entry point – not going to break the bank!

I don't think there's any need to go ad-free on the site (though if there were enforced 30 second ads at the start of videos then I'd be grumpy). Personally, I'd rather pay £n per year and have some ads on the side than £2n per year and not.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

So we'll be working on the introduction page to go sign up to 'Premier'. But it basically offers you three things.

[list]
    [*]Enhanced Digital Magazine – i.e. you view it in your browser, it has embedded video, audio, hyperlinks, etc.[/*]
    [*]Downloads – i.e. A PDF version of the mag, as before, but much easier to get to than it was in the shop.[/*]
    [*]- these are accessed though the http://www.singletrackworld.com/magarchive/%5B/*%5D
    [*]Print – Printed magazine posted to your door.[/*]
    [/list]A combination of these packages can be bought.

The difference is, new customers can do it all online with their credit card – prices range from £15 to £35 for one year. Existing subscribers can upgrade to 'Premier' by phoning us. They have to phone us because we have to find out who they are on the website and match them to their real world existence in the subs database.

By being in 'Premier' you will also get enhanced website features as and when they are introduced. There's lots of discussion going on as to what to offer.

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

aslongasithaswheels – Member

Fleece?

How do you suppose all this sort of thing happens? It all costs money. We want more, we pay more – simple.

Hopefully ad-free.

I could point you to hundreds of websites run by magazines that have forums, you can search back old articles and their all free

gray

I could point you to hundreds of websites run by magazines that have forums, you can search back old articles and their all free

I don't understand this argument. Why would a magazine put all of its print content online for free? Sure, some old articles or tasters, but not the whole lot (including current stuff). The point of "going Premier" isn't just to have access to old issues – I think it's been stated quite clearly that the main idea is to provide additional online content. That's going to take man-hours and other costs to implement, which have to be paid for one way or another. Either some amazing ad deals, or a premium subscription model. The standard STW website is provided free, and all of that stuff will remain free. If you don't want to buy extra bits, then you don't have to. (Just as it's up to you whether to buy the print mag, which contains ads.)

miketually
    Free Member

Seems like a good way to progress. I like that future digital versions of the mags will have enhanced features. Will there be some sort of 'flag' in the print magazine to let you know there is enhanced content in the digital version?

I need to phone to change my address anyway, so will probably splash the whole five pounds to become 'special'.

Ben_Haworth

Gray – existing subscribers will get access to all future magazine's "extra stuff" (starting with the next issue – issue 54 out in early December). At the moment existing subscribers need to call Sarah to have their account upgraded (for free) 🙂

Ben_Haworth

Juan – if you're not that interested in "Singletracky" content then just keep using the site and forum for your news and chatting desires. For free 🙂

As stated above, anything you've been able to do or access on the site previously will remain free.

This new much-cheapness-best-value pay stuff is for new and extra content.

miketually
    Free Member

At the moment existing subscribers need to call Sarah to have their account upgraded (for free)

For a fiver, innit?

gray

OK, so clearly I am dim after all!

So I am an existing 'Premium Subscriber' am I? That just means 'print subscriber' then?

So there are *three* options for me (as well as doing nothing):
    [list=1]
    [*]Upgrade to Premier Extra for free ("Top of the line"??)[/*]
    [*]Upgrade to Premier Digital for £5 (adds back catalogue over above)[/*]
    [*]Upgrade to Premier Digital Extra for £10 (adds ability to download and print over above)[/*][/list]

Is that right?

Ben_Haworth

No, there is a free level for existing subscribers which will get them extra/free content in the future.

The £5 "upgrade" is to get online access to back issues.

Existing subscribers call Sarah on 01706 814397.

As is the nature with new things involving different levels of access/content/etc is a bit confusing (just ask our tech guy Tom!). Hopefully we'll be able to answer all your queries on here though 🙂

Cheers!

DavidB
    Free Member

You have to laugh at the fact that when MTB'ers organise anything or are organised to do anything, it descends into mayhem but gets there in the end, somehow.

takisawa2

I think it sounds good.
    What about a rating system for Classifieds Sellers ?

Ben_Haworth

Gray – existing subscribers are now "Premier Print" users. We've re-branded you! 😉

gray

Gray – existing subscribers are now "Premier Print" users. We've re-branded you!

Splendid. I've always thought that I was a bit better than this rabble anyway. I think I like my new status. I'm going to get a little sign for my desk with that on.

So for printy premier posh subscribers, it's actually rather simple – you can get extra content from next month, for free! If you want access to back issues and / or to print stuff out then you pay a bit. What's not to like about that? I might even be arsed to make a phone call.

vinnyeh

I might even be arsed to make a phone call.

Calls to this number will cost £1 a minute.

colnagokid

I never buy the mag, just have a look at it in Smiths, so Ive payed 15 nicker for the digital thingy- seems pretty resonable to me

brooess
    Free Member

Benji, can I recommend you email all print subscribers (for whom you hold an email address) to let them know about their free online content? It's in small print on the main screen and I missed this completely until I read this post and nearly missed out on the benefit. People like to be given stuff for free but you need to let them know you're giving it if you want them to be happy. And use it.

Harry_the_Spider

Just upgraded …

A tenner for access to the archive is a bargain, and it will give me something to read at lunch time instead of all the old toss on the forum 😉

Sarah sounds very nice and calm considering that she is probably having something of a mad day in the office.

Mark

If you subscribe to the mag currently you will be 'converted' to Premier Print Accounts for free. You will be able to access Premier web content BUT NOT READ THE MAGS ONLINE.

Premier content will be coming online in the next few weeks. For now Premier Print Accounts won't see anything new until we start publishing the Premier Content from next week.

If as a current Print Subscriber you want to read the mags online then it's a £5 upgrade fee, which Sarah will sort out with you on the phone. You will then become a Premier Print+Digital user

If you want to also download the PDF files as well as read the mags online then that is a £10 upgrade fee. You will then become the slightly wordy Premier Print+Digital Extra user.

The 'Digital' part means you can access the mag archive and read mags online. The 'EXtra' part means you can download the PDFs too.

ALL Premier Accounts will be sent a Premier Club Card through the post. This replaces our old Member's Club Card but does exactly the same job and gets you discounts in our shop and those of all our Partner business who are listed at the bottom of this page in the 'Premier Club' section.

This means that for the first time non-print readers will be able to get the same deals and discounts that have previously only been available to print mag subscribers.

So..

Existing subscribers… call Sarah after clicking the yellow button (more detailed instructions on what to have handy when you do). You will only be asked to pay extra if you want to access the digital versions of the mag. You will be able to read the extra stuff we publish on the site from next week.

Sorry that it's not absolutely crystal clear. It will become much clearer as the new content that we are all busily preparing right now gets published next week. We will let everyone see what sort of content we will be publishing just for Premier Users for everyone to see in the first few days so you will get chance to see if it's the sort of thing you are interested in paying extra for.

If it's not then that's totally fine. You can still use the site exactly as you have always done. The news stories will keep coming and the forum and classifieds will remain free to use. Nothing is being taken away. We are adding new stuff and only that will come with a price tag.

🙂

Ben_Haworth

brooess – Good call. Thanks. I think emailing all subscribers is on the (rather large and increasing) "To-Do List" .. there's a lot to do yet 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Oh look – a fancy new button’ is closed to new replies.