Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Oh god- GoPro has wiped all files from computer, help!
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve been playing with my photos from my riding holiday. The ones off my SD card went on fine, however I’ve plugged in the gopro, clicked copy, then everything stopped.

Picasa wouldn’t then recognise and of the photos it had previously, checked the C drive and not only have my photos gone, but all the files too.

Off my mum’s computer…

Anyone got any tips? I’d normally reset it to a previous date but I think it’ll then permanently lose all the photos I have just uploaded from the SD card (which are no longer on it, I deleted after upload).

Thanks.

stumpy01

Sure you haven’t just done something like copied the Pictures folder to another location by mistake? Quite easy to do with a quick drag if you are slow to release the mouse button?

If you right click on the Explorer window, do you have an ‘undo copy’ option?

soma_rich
    Free Member

checked the C drive and not only have my photos gone, but all the files too.

So there is nothing under C:\ no folders at all?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    munrobiker
    Free Member

I only get undo delete, which undoes the creation of a new folder I created to check that the C drive was still doing things.

I click that, it undoes the delete then says redo delete.

I’m trying to find them, but there are no files in any folders, anywhere, including files in folders I haven’t visited.

Somarich- there are still programs, it’s the stuff under libraries that has disappeared. So no pictures, documents etc.

stumpy01

Do a search for *.jpg in Explorer. That will tell you if there are any photos and where they are.

DezB
    Free Member

Restore from backup 😉

ell_tell
    Free Member

Check the recycle bin?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tip, deleting stuff from your HD doesn’t actually delete it. It’s pretty easy to get software that will recover files for you.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Tom- any idea what software will do that?

ell_tell- not there.

I have found a few photos using the search suggested, but not many. These are all in the downloads folder, which seems to have survived intact.

stumpy01

Yeah. If it has all been ‘deleted’ get a copy of Piriform Recuva.
    I would download it from another machine and run it from a USB drive, rather than installing it on the computer with the lost files…

stumpy01

Did you do the search in the root of the C drive? Does the drive have any partitions?
    If so, search all partitions.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Oh hang on, I may have just stumbled across them. Hidden inside a folder hidden inside another folder in the recycle bin, so ell_tell wins the “pointing out the bleedin’ obvious for the computer fudd” award for this week. And it’s only Monday.

Thanks all!

🙄

(It has at least had the decency to undo an entire afternoon of editing, so I guess it wasn’t a total waste of time panicking…)

ell_tell
    Free Member

Yay! 😀

JohnnyPanic

Great that you’ve got your pics back but…

“not only have my photos gone, but all the files too.”

Have all the other files on the C: drive magically re-appeared as well? 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Nobody mentioned about backing this stuff up yet?

Now that you’ve got your stuff back and had the fright of losing precious photos I think it’s well worth setting up a back up routing to an external hard drive or a cloud based facility.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Trust you to Bork it Luke…. 😆

Greybeard
    Free Member

It’s the Windows “libraries” that are the culprit. As I understand it, the files aren’t actually in the library, they are somewhere else, the library is just a view on them; allegedly more convenient but actually a pain for anyone who is used to the way computers used to work. I don’t know any more because once I realised the above I’ve ignored the libraries and just look on the hard disk directly.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Oh god- GoPro has wiped all files from computer, help!’ is closed to new replies.