Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • oh drinkers of STW recommend me a whisky
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

For my pops, its his birthday, loves his single malt, glenfiddich (sp?) in particular.

i’m looking for a nice whiskey for him which is similar in taste but is not his norm..

any recommendations gratefully received along with details of where i can buy.

thanks

clydebuilt
    Free Member

this

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/Search-serendipity.aspx

speyside with just a bit of islay for added interest. fabulous stuff…

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I’m currently drinking a 12 year old glenfiddich. and very nice it is too.

plecostomus
    Free Member

current favourite (well for the last 6months) is this:

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/1034.html?productCat=1027

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’m enjoying some Bushmills at the moment, 10 yr old single malt.

grumm
    Free Member

Balvenie Double Cask is nice and quite rich and full bodied, like Glenfiddich but better 😛

Or you could get him an older Glenfiddich.

finners

Talisker……without a doubt.

peteimpreza

My favourites are

Isle of jura

The Dalmore

grumm
    Free Member

Talisker is great too.

speaker2animals

My nephew was very impressed with Glenfiddich Sola Reserve or something like that. Bit more rounded than standard Glen Fiddich.

Glenmorangie Madeira cask is gorgeous, very light and fresh.

I’m currently drinking Bruichladdick Infinity, rounded with a light peaty note. Tasty without being knock yer head off.

As an alternative – Woodforde Reserve Burbon. Gorgeous stuff, much easier drinking than scotch with a sort of very mild liquorice note.

Try http://www.weedram.co.uk in Bakewell.

lister

just got a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban…very nice port aged whishee. Up there for quaffability with Glennfiddich.
    1 litre £30 in duty free :-)…or go with the usual gudduns…Balvenie DOublewood, Talisker, Highland Park etc.

I also hearlity recomend the Penderyn welsh ones, look for the peaty one in the green box.

bumbly1
    Free Member

Glenfiddich is classified as a Speyside Malt so it may be “safer” to check out other Speyside Malts and there are plenty.

carlphillips
    Free Member

lots to be getting along with i reckon, cheers

speaker2animals

Talsiker would be with care IMHO. It’s very peaty/smoky/phenolic especially in comparison with standard Glenfiddich. Maybe a miniture along with a more middle of the road single malt.

grumm
    Free Member

Singleton of Dufftown is a nice Speyside, as is the Balvenie I mentioned.

grumm
    Free Member

Talisker isn’t that peaty and smoky, not compared to, say, Lagavulin or Laphroaig. But I agree with your point. 🙂

bruneep

After a visit to Arran.I am now a convert to to Arran whisky

Arran 10yr old malt.

Not peaty very clean

carlphillips
    Free Member

what about this? here

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Woodford Reserve Bourbon is a great alternative and a bit niche too.

I still think the best standard malt bottling ATM is Ardbeg 10yo – only if you like peaty/smoky stuff. There’s a lot of 18yo whisky in the bottle. This due to them being forced to use old reserves from before the shutdown because there isn’t enough new 10yo stock yet. Consequently, it’s really fine, complex and unusually smooth. And cheap for all that.

IWH
    Free Member

Get in touch with the boys at up Royal Mile Whiskies. They’ll steer you right. If ever I’m in the mood for something new I tell them what I’m currently drinking and they give me an alternative. They’ve not been wrong yet.

I’m currently drinking a 1974 Glenrothes on their recommendation which I’m thoroughly enjoying.

MoreCashThanDash

The rather nice whisky shop in Bakewell (Wee Dram?) pointed me towards the 18 year old Glenfiddich, which was very nice tasting.

tyger
    Free Member

I’m happy with a Bushmills BUT I’m delighted with a Highland Park (surprised nobody’s mentioned it yet) – very excellent! 🙂

turneround

another vote for ‘Ardbeg’, lovely and peaty, definatly one of the finest whiskeys out there.

Dalmore is nice (about 7 miles from my house)

but for the best you have to go for Bells, or Spar special 2 yr old blended, although i remember getting smashed with a lovely gal named nicole on some stuff called ‘Glen dew’ from the co-op…. this was when i was 18 (some years ago) and we were skipping off lectures for a bit of afterenooon la-de-da

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve currently got the following on the go;

Ardbeg. Lovely
    Laphroaig – Acquired taste, very strong and peaty!
    Penderyn – There’s lovely, look you!

bumbly1
    Free Member
    matthewjb
    Free Member

Given he likes Glenfiddich I’d avoid the hyper-peaty expressions like Laphroig.

I always recommend Aberlour a’Bunadh.

Delicious aromas of honey and custard and flavours of apples, pears and plums with a cinnamon / nutmeg spice.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Highland Park, Orcadian Single Malt.

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

Old Poultney is good – from up in the North East, Orkney? Also Highland Park.

I do prefer Whiskey to Whisky and i’d go +1 for Bushmills. The single malts are good but my favourite is still the regular orange lable blended. It just looks cheap as a pressie.

mountainchub
    Free Member

Mmmm what about a Glen Garioch or an Aberlour yum

Or there’s my Whiskey – MacAllan!

smiffkin

Have a look at this link. It helps you visually compare similar tastes…or different for that matter.

http://www.malts.com/en-gb/Helpingyouchoose/TheFlavourMap.htm

chakaping
    Free Member

Another vote for Bushmills Malt, I was drinking that Sunday night and I’m sure it’d go down very well with a Glenfiddich fan.

Not sure why people recommend Islays when somebody’s asked for a mellow, smooth whisky.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘oh drinkers of STW recommend me a whisky’ is closed to new replies.