• This topic has 27 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Oh dear we really must be the first one in the world to come up with that…
  • juan
    Free Member

Speed trap for cyclist

For people not speaking french, there is a 10 km/h speed limit enforced by the police. 33€ fine.
    Sometimes right wing biggots leave me speachless…

druidh
    Free Member

I’m struggling to see
    (a) an issue
    (b) what the introduction of speeding penalties has to do with your branch of politics
    (c) where the bigotry occurs

juan
    Free Member

Well 10 km/h is less than 7mph you might as well walk. Don’t the police has better things to do? The mayor responsible for that is indeed a right wing biggot (he fears a fat cyclist will kill a granny).

rs
    Free Member

how can they do that when very few bikes actually have a speedo on them?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Do you spend a lot of time riding along the seafront?

juan
    Free Member

Well it’s a cycle lane, so it gets you along the sea front east and west bound

fizzicist
    Free Member

That just brings the competitive side of me out. Wonder if I can clear 50kph on the flat…..

sofatester
    Free Member

It has to be a joke?

At 10kph you will overtaken by the STW jogging club!

tonyg2003

Nope there have been cycling speed traps/ lights checks in Cambridge for years. Of course I never try to get the 30mph speed camera to flash on my bike on a local hill…..that would be very unwise 😀

stu_d
    Free Member

C’est vraiment n’importe quoi….

Yes …wait for a quiet day, wind the bike up to 50kph and see if the morons with the cameras can catch you

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Bournemouth seafront has a 10 mph limit for bikes as well. (I think, been ages since I was there last) but with all the pedestrians there it makes perfect sense.

jono84
    Free Member

Has anyone been done by pc plod stood at the road side with a speed gun? i presume most coppers would give you a warning an a slap wrist but im sure some one must of been fined in a 30mph limit?

stu_d
    Free Member

10 kph = 6.2 mph – they may as well make it a footpath as there is no point in cycling

MrOvershoot

jono84 – Member

Has anyone been done by pc plod stood at the road side with a speed gun? i presume most coppers would give you a warning an a slap wrist but im sure some one must of been fined in a 30mph limit?

Not long after hand held speed guns were commonly used by the police I was cranking it down Charfield hill into a 30 zone when an officer shouted out 39mph at me with a big grin on his face, made my day 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

i presume most coppers would give you a warning an a slap wrist but im sure some one must of been fined in a 30mph limit?

Personally I would expect them to congratulate me.

Never triggered the speed camera on my commute and always over the 30 limit.

MrGreedy

tonyg2003 – Member

Nope there have been cycling speed traps/ lights checks in Cambridge for years.

Seriously? Where? And what speed limit are they enforcing?

Don’t get me started on lights though, this place is bike ninja central, it’s like people have a death wish.

poly
    Free Member

jono84 – but im sure some one must of been fined in a 30mph limit?

I don’t think so; as I recall speed limits apply to MOTORISED vehicles. There could be some very special places with a local byelaw (e.g. in a mixed pedestrian / cycle path) but it would not be a normal road with limit. {Careless or reckless cycling may of course be illegal].

stu_d – 10 kph = 6.2 mph – they may as well make it a footpath as there is no point in cycling

Not many people can consistently walk at that speed for long… …in fact normal walking speed is half that.

rs -how can they do that when very few bikes actually have a speedo on them?

Don’t need a speedo to get prosecuted for speeding in the UK. Vintage vehicles, some agricultural vehicles, small motorbikes and invalid carraiges made before 1984, and any vehicle with a max speed of 25mph are exempt from the speedo rules – but not any speed limit that is in force. Its fairly easy to estimate speed to be roughly right. In this case it would be “jogging speed”.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Couple of times this year ive seen cops out with radar guns while out on a club ride, both times theyve shouted or gestered at us to get a move on then called out our speed 😀

m1kea
    Free Member

Never been there but I believe quite a few of the US National Forest (MTB) trails on the US west coast have radar traps etc.

stumpy01

Lived in Cambridge for about 5 years and never saw bike speed traps. Saw Plod checking lights twice I think, which they probably should have done more often.

juan
    Free Member

In this case it would be “jogging speed”.

Hummm funny that as even my jogging speed is above that.

julianwilson
    Free Member

The mayor in that video was well funny. He has obviously come across the “childs face” comments on here 😆

“I don’t want to be taking flowers to the cemetery because a heavy cyclist exploded (literally!) a child or an old person.”

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s unreasonable that a SHARED foot/skate/bike path have a speed limit. There’s a great big road next to it if you want to TT along the seafront surely.

stu_d
    Free Member

one of the guys interviewed makes the point that the cyclists get grief for riding on the road as there is a cycle path….but the cyclepath is not useable. They would be better off reclassifying it as a footpath only

jonba
    Free Member

Cycle up to the trap, shoulder bike and run through. Let us know what happens.

poly
    Free Member

juan – then I suggest you are running rather than jogging… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jogging

but the cyclepath is not useable. They would be better off reclassifying it as a footpath only

and yet oddly there appeared to be lots of people using it! Given how busy it was (assuming that is representative and not staged) then it probably seems a safe and sensible limit. Wonder what average speeds are in busy areas of amsterdam – nobody seems to be racing around there?

juan
    Free Member

Well there is a loop hole thought, it is classified as a cycle path, and from the french motorway code, non cyclist that uses it, are (theoratically) supposed to be fined.
    Road is not usable, unless you have a death wish, this is south of France, people in car are so up their own arses, they would make clarkson look like an eco-warrior

D0NK

Not many people can consistently walk at that speed for long… …in fact normal walking speed is half that.

no but pretty sure most of us here could manage to run over that speed, which presumably you wouldn’t get “speed trapped” for, does sound a bit silly.

Either set the limit at about the max your average person can manage on foot or stick with the low limit but fine runners too.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear we really must be the first one in the world to come up with that…’ is closed to new replies.