Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Oh dear – son's going to USA tomorrow – mobile advice needed
  • offpiste
    Free Member

Yes I know I’ve left it late, he’s off to New York for 5 days so I thought I’d better see what the options are for using his phone (o2). Just been into the o2 shop and it’s £6 for every 1mb 😯 and calls are £1.50/minute and texts 60p I think. The short answer is “don’t you dare use anything other than wifi and only call/text when absolutely necessary”, but are there any other smart options available? On the basis that he *may* be tempted to use data… Don’t really want to impound the phone in case of emergencies.

tonyg2003

You are on the right tracks to suggest switching off all mobile data and stick to use free wifi use, making calls using apps like Viber or Facetime. I’ve had some pretty serious cell phone bills for work in the US.

johndoh
    Free Member

Buy a temporary phone out there pre-loaded with minutes/data?

mikey74
    Free Member

Buy a pay as you go sim out there? If not, then turn data off and also make sure his voicemail is switched off as that can rack up charges as well, as I found to my cost.

peterfile
    Free Member

Three!

Go buy a PAYG sim right now – it’s all included

Here you go.

allthegear
    Free Member

USA? Just get a SIM from Three. Their in-contract roaming includes USA. I used a LOT of data in Europe this Summer, all for no cost.

Rachel

edit – damn my slow pudgy fingers!!

bigjim

Make him leave it at home so he looks at new york through his own eyes rather than through a screen?

mav12
    Free Member

if you are with bt at home there is an app for making calls over wifi .if he has an iphone with ios 9 make sure wifi assist is turned off, as the phone will turn 3g on if no or poor wifi

peterfile
    Free Member

Make him leave it at home so he looks at new york through his own eyes rather than through a screen?

*Slow clap*

toppers3933
    Free Member

bigjim – Member

+1 they have payphones over there you know.

footflaps

Most US airports, hotels, cafes etc have free wifi, so you don’t need to use roaming data much out there.

McHamish
    Free Member

FYI…New York’s Museum of Natural History has free wifi throughout.

midlifecrashes

If he can afford a trip to New York he can afford £1.50/min and 60p texts. He can likely afford the data too, but there’s so much free wifi around it’s not worth the annoyance of paying over the odds. You just adapt and if you need a longer call tell folk you’ll skype once you get onto wifi.

jon1973
    Free Member

USA? Just get a SIM from Three. Their in-contract roaming includes USA. I used a LOT of data in Europe this Summer, all for no cost.

Even for their PAYG sims, you can get a £20 add-on and get unlimited data for 1 month, which is valid in the USA. It’s what I do when I go to France.

Drac

Yup stick with the free Wifi.

It’s what I did when I went to New York as the Pay Phones they have don’t have an email facility.

offpiste
    Free Member

Thanks all, the Three sim looks good but his phone will have to be unlocked I think?

spooky_b329

Old enough to go to New York without his parents, but young enough that you still (think) you have the power to confiscate his phone 😆

P.S most phones can be unlocked within 24hrs cheap on eBay. Some can be a bit more pricey, ended up paying about £18 for mine and it took a week, but I saved hundreds buying it locked to a PAYG sim by another operator. If you do unlock it you may need to google the APN settings to enable mobile data on the new network (and check the phone is compatible with the US frequencies)

thecaptain
    Free Member

I used the three sim with £20 add-on recently in the USA with no real problems. Except that they detected and disabled the wifi hotspot that I’d been using off and on in the UK. So I could only surf and get email on the phone itself which is crap, but it did work. The data speed was very slow anyway (everywhere – it must be a feature of the roaming).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear – son's going to USA tomorrow – mobile advice needed’ is closed to new replies.