Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Oh dear, I've just bought a fixed hub wheel instead of singlespeed! :(
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

D'oh! 😳

Feel very stupid – I assumed flip-flop hub meant fixed on one-side and free on the other, but this hub is fixed on both sides… 😥

Had it custom built by Betd so doubt they'll be keen to refund me, what do you reckon?

Such a shame as it's a lovely wheel: Goldtec track hub on a Mavic Open Pro…

🙁 Gutted

taka
    Free Member

lol

Olly
    Free Member

do you not just put a freewheel on intstead of a cog?

Haze

Different threads?

firestarter
    Free Member

ouch ;-( edit, cancel that see below 😉

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Oh, do you? If that's true I'll feel very stupid… but happy!

Don't think that's true though… 🙁

Oh and I'm glad I've entertained you Tom! 😀

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Oh dear, it seems Olly is wrong – thanks Mick but yep, ouch indeed!

Olly
    Free Member

i have no idea!
    thats how i thought it worked, but have no first hand experience

clubber
    Free Member

Eh? Fixed sprockets screw on the same thread/way as a freewheel – the difference is usually that a fixed specific hubs will also have a section of reverse thread for the lockring.

See here:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html

PJ266
    Free Member

Olly is right 😀

Same thread pitch etc just the thread is alot shorter on a fixed, you can get away with it.

beefy

You should be able to get a freewheel on, just won't have loads of thread. A freewheel screws on the same way as a fixed cog, it just doesn't have the lock ring.

I am only guessing, but my mate who rides fixed has a flip flop hub designed for two track cogs, but has a freewheel on one side.

finbar
    Free Member

Sheldon Brown says don't panic

(at least, most of the double fixed hubs on that page also say they can be run with a freewheel)

Haze

Yep, so your freewheel will be a little wider than the length of thread it sits on. Assuming it's the same sized thread.

crazy-legs

Goldtec are flip flop, I've got one. You'll get a freewheel on there no probs. Mine is running a lovely White Industries one. 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

sorry muddling myself up (i think lol) yeah as above will fit but shorter threads if a proper fixed and it will have a smaller threaded bit for the lockring but you just ignore that

firestarter
    Free Member

was getting muddled up looking at my flip flop which was free/free and trying to remember what my fixed / fixed was like lol

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Hooray! 😀

Thanks guys!

As I say, I feel very stupid now but so relived I don't care! :mrgreen:

My husband just rang and I told him my mistake (before reading this) and he just laughed down the phone at me! (In a loving way of course!) He said what you guys have said and that it will definitely work. 😀

Right I'm going to pop on my Eno now! Will update with photos when I have, so that you can all enjoy a bit of berating me for what I'm putting the lovely wheel on…!

Thanks again! MM

(oh and no worries Mick! Thankfuly the STW colective – and the legend that is Sheldon Brown – were here to save the day!)

clubber
    Free Member

You know when cyclist are injured/can't ride and they spend all their time and money on equipment/upgrading bikes/etc because that's the only way to get a bit of a cycling fix?

Well you seem to have some sort of pregnancy-related equivalent 😉 Could get expensive…

firestarter
    Free Member

glad it fits and sorry for the heartattack lol 😉

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

clubber – you are so right it's not even funny! I've bought more bike stuff in the last week than I have for months!

There is definitely something wrong with me!

clubber
    Free Member

I did much the same towards the end of my wife's pregnancy and in the early months of mini-clubber when I wasn't riding much at all (various reasons of tiredness, crap weather and generally not wanting to leave Mrs Clubber alone all the time when she wasn't feeling great) – on the plus side, I have lots of nice kit now 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear, I've just bought a fixed hub wheel instead of singlespeed! :(’ is closed to new replies.