Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Oh Bug**er, tw*t and Boll*ocks
  • dropoff

The lovely wife had a little accident with our portable hard drive resulting in an interface with a very hard tiled floor. Needless to say the drive lost 🙁 What I need is recommendations for companys who can remove the disc and reinstall it into another drive. ta very muchy 🙂

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I can do it.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I just read what you wrote properly. No, no I can't do that

dropoff

damn, i'm gonna cry now 🙁

iDave
    Free Member

why cry? was ourkidsam your only hope? are we all f'ked then?

wwaswas

if you literally want the disk platters removed and read then sit down before you google.

if you just want the drive whipped out the case and put in another case you can do it yourself.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or take it to your local IT shop and ask them what they can do – it will probably cost you 1 hour of their time + the extortionate (compared to web prices) cost for a new drive they copy the files onto.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Once you open the case and remove the platters, The drive can never be read again, my any means. At least that's what I remember from an article about data security. It's the only way to completely ensure sensitive data can't be retrieved.

dropoff

wwaswas, i have googled but there's alot of untrustworthy traders out there so I was asking for recommendations.

Pook

We are all fecked if sam's our only hope 😀

ourkidsam
    Free Member

8)

same thing happened to me with an IOMega Screen Play. chances are that any SATA disc will fit. probably a 10 minute job. anyways, it's already broken, you've got nothing to lose. take it apart & take the disc from inside to a shop and ask for 'one of these'

dropoff

TFI nice idea 🙄 Might be a last resort 🙂

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

do you have a photo of what's damaged? Just so we're all clear.

dropoff

Damage is all inside. It now makes a nasty whirr clunk noise and can't be read.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Ooh, the old whirr clicking. That'll be terminal. Doubt you'll get any data back from it without it costing you a fortune. Is it an old ibm/hitachi inside per chance

Grimy
    Free Member

old ibm/hitachi inside per chance

The old Deskstar Death Click! 😳 been a victim of that one myself.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Just call ontrack, im sure they can take the disc out and read them in their lovely machinery.
    it will only cost you around 5 grand.

Olly
    Free Member

its pretty amazing what can be retrieved from a knackered hard drive.

I think your little tumble wont compare to a gadget show "firing from a cannon and then torching with napalm"

however they never mentioned the cost of retrieving the picture of Suzie Perry from the HDD

luked2
    Free Member

This is why backups are important.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Oh Bug**er, tw*t and Boll*ocks’ is closed to new replies.