Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Ofsted, special measures, academisation questions
  • MoreCashThanDash

Interesting parents meeting tonight. Everyone said the right thing about “going forward”, school was becoming an academy this summer anyway so it will just come forward a couple of months.

And the inspector has apparently been reprimanded following a complaint from a parent about the way the kids were interviewed. 😕

funkmasterp

Just getting up to date with the whole education thing y as Funkmaster Jr will be starting in a couple of years. Reading this thread just has me thinking WTF has happened since I left school in the 90’s?

Kids being interviewed, target grades. Is this at a primary or secondary school? I recall being told stories, having naps and drinking milk in primary school. Put your Lego and imagination away young man, you’re one grade below what’s expected!

onehundredthidiot

Education is getting more bizarre.

We’ve had kids sit in on interviews for staff “pupil voice”.

We’ve got identikit SMT because they’ve done the course and know lots of big words, which do have meanings, but I’m not sure that the dictionary meaning makes sense in the context.

I got graded down in an inspection for not having lesson aims/ success criteria or a plenary. I did the inspector arrived late and left early. When I said this I was told I should have gone over them again for the inspector “pretend they were a member of the class that was late”. If they were a member of the class I’d have had words about wandering round the class and staring out the window.

“Oh I noticed that one pupil didn’t answer any questions and didn’t take any notes, she just sat and scribbled” yeah that’ll be the lassie who’s severely dyslexic and a selective mute who I support in my class because you support the reduction in classroom assistant’s hours.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

The two local primary schools were asked a few years ago if they wanted to become academy’s, They said No, surprise inspection a few months later and unsurprisingly they went into special measures. They were taken over by an academy organisation who failed to get them out of special measures for years despite a huge turnover of staff (got rid of a lot of experienced teachers for “boil in the bag” NQT’s). The Academy even brought over teachers from Australia (small outback schools apparently) and reports from the teaching assistants were they had no idea of how to manage large classes and were worse than the teachers they replaced. They are still there and still rubbish apparently.

funkmasterp

We’ve had kids sit in on interviews for staff “pupil voice”.

What age group is this? I need to get seriously up to date with things. It sounds mental

onehundredthidiot

Secondary.

The head that thought it’d be a good idea has agreed with the council that his resignation would be a good thing and we all wish him well in his future career.

MoreCashThanDash

My lad and the student council had the chance to interview the prospective heads when the current guy was appointed. This was at primary school. My mate who was interviewing as a governor was surprised how good the kids were.

ampthill

The Ofsted criteria are publically available and a click away, so you could have checked before you posted. It would have taken you five minutes.

I’ve been using those for years but. But that doesn’t really answer the point

We received training from an OFSTED inspector on how to grade lessons. It was the obvious thing. We watched a video of a lesson applied the criteria and discussed our grades.

I asked the OFTED inspector how she was trained and how often they went through a Standardisation process to ensure that the grading was consistent. Standardisation is a compulsory part of any teacher involved in grading a students work for an external exam.

You will of course not be surprised that the answer is that she had never been trained to grade a lesson and had never done any standardisation.

The OFSTED do use a sort of moving target for inspections. So some years they have been really tough on differentiation other use development of literacy. This is probably OFSTEDs biggest weakness. They seem to allow the government to rattle off new priorities every year with no change in official policy.

“pupil voice”.

That’s another trendy OFSTED that seems to have come and gone

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Ofsted, special measures, academisation questions’ is closed to new replies.