Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Ofsted query
  • lastuphills
    Free Member

A question for anyone more versed in ofsted inspections than myself. Would an issue under the ‘walfare, health and safety’ criteria over ride the results of the findings in the other areas?

For example if teaching, leadership etc were all good but they found health and safety issues they deemed to be dangerous and inadequate, would the safety issue override other findings and result in the report being worded to suit the inadequate category?

wwaswas

I believe so.

Wasn’t one school put in special measures *only* because they employed staff who didn’t have current CRB clearance.

It’s a case of child safety trumps everything else. And, frankly, if there were these types of concerns then it would point to a failure of leadership too?

Having said that the detail would include reflection of the quality of teaching, management etc but the summary would focus on the areas where inadequacy had been found if it were a child safety issue.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Possibly but it would depend on the specifics. Knowing the O team any negative would be weighted heavily over a whole raft of positives.

lastuphills
    Free Member

But if the teaching etc has been good but they then found the h&s issues would they then change the wording/grade for the teaching etc to match the bad grade/score for h&s ?

Is there a specific bit of the frame work that relates to this eg ‘a school deemed to be inadequate on the security h&s criteria can only every be deemed to reach that standard in overall effectiveness’ ?

wwaswas

yes, they will ‘cap’ the overall rating if they find one area at that level.

A school can’t be outstanding if any of the teaching observed is only good, for example.

Safeguarding is one of those ‘if you can’t get that right you don’t get a high score’ type issues.

I would look further online there is a lot of info from both inspectors and ofsted about how they work and what affects overall ratings.

sorry, to clarify – if the safeguarding related to classroom practice then they would reflect that but I don;t believe they will reword an observation on good practice to reflect poor safeguarding in other areas of the school.

lastuphills
    Free Member

I have read the framework, handbook etc but struggled to find what I was searching for hence my question to the font of all knowledge that is singletrack.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Ofsted query’ is closed to new replies.