Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • offset bushings with dw link 5 spot.
  • havinalaff
    Free Member

Hi.

Looking at a second hand 2009 turner 5 spot.

However its got a 69 deg head angle whereas the newer ones are under 68. I was wondering about options to slacken it a bit.

But will offset shock bushings work with the dw link? Am I right in thinking theres no slackset options for 1 1/8 headtubes.

Thanks
    Rich

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

there was one on ebay or similar a while ago with offset bushings.

honourablegeorge

Works components do an angleset for standard headtubes, don’t they?

havinalaff
    Free Member

Ooh thats got my interest. Has anyone used one?

voodoo-rich

Look at the catalogues for 2009 vs. 2010 onwards. The measurements are taken with a different length fork (2009- 515mm axle to crown; 2010- 525mm). The ’09 frame with a slightly longer fork may give you the slacker head angle you want, with minimal change elsewhere. (I have an ’09 frame with a 150mm Revelation up front).

granny_ring

Got a WC on my HL 5 spot and it works!
    Worth a punt, fiddly to fit tho.

havinalaff
    Free Member

Itll be with my 528mm a-c sektor 150mm

johnners
    Free Member

Looks like you’ve got the option of a slackset then, but give the bike a try before you splash out. I`ve never found the head angle too steep on my 2010 DW, I think my forks are 530 a-c.

havinalaff
    Free Member

I thought the 2010 had the slacker head angle I know the 2011 did

Rich

johnners
    Free Member

I thought the 2010 had the slacker head angle I know the 2011 did

2011 was slackened, I dont believe the 2010 was and it has a bit of a rep on this forum as steep (for whatever that's worth), see also voodoo-rich above re measuring differences. If youre right though, it would certainly explain why I`ve never thought there was a problem!

hora
    Free Member

I owned the pre and post 5spot angle changes.

Go for the latter. I slackened the bushes and headset. It still felt ‘odd’ to me. The works headset is overpriced shit. Sorry.

The latter 5 spot feels planted/sorted/sit-in from the off.

No matter what you do to the earlier it still feels not right.

johnners
    Free Member

Mentioning Turner head angles is Hora`s Batsignal.

And his superpower is that he`s a human protractor for headtubes.

havinalaff
    Free Member

I ve got a 2003 supercross which I love and is prob about 67 degrees but its too small and fubars my knees on long rides hence looking for sonething more appropriate for my italy trip.

mildred

Ooh thats got my interest. Has anyone used one?

Yes, I currently have one fitted to my 2010 5 spot, which will be the same as the 2009. Contrary to Hora’s opinion I think it’s extremely well made. That said, I don’t find the geometry too steep without it and just leave it in as I can’t be arsed taking it off.

That generation of 5 spot is a very fun trail bike that turns quick and is ideally suited to fast swoopy woodland trails, berms etc. mine has 150mm revs fitted and it feels great. Very similar to the older Orange 5 before they dulled it with the slacker head angle. I would like to try a newer one but can’t find any for sale.

I wasn’t particularly getting on with the bike recently – it has absolutely perfect geometry & dimensions for me (long & low but also fun & lively), but didn’t get in with the way the DW link rode. I’ve since had a play with the air pressures in t rear shock and its made an amazing difference. I would say that careful initial setup is key on these frames.

neiloxford
    Free Member

I have a large 2009 5 spot and recently went from a fox 32 140 to a fox 36 160 which is 545 a-c which is about 20mm higher than the 32 and reduces the head angle by about a degree.

Loving the change, and can recommend, although was a brilliant bike beforehand 🙂

Not sure I would bother with the headset change as I found it cheaper to sell 32’s and buy the 36’s.

I would get the frame in the knowledge you have options 🙂

hora
    Free Member

@ Mildred

However for the price its slightly lower than the fsa pig headset simplicity/quality-end of headsets. 30quid less than a king headset. I found offset bushes (20quid) did the job without the grit/ingress issues that I found in the Peaks with it. Its basically two plastic inserts with 2xbearing races.

Buy bushes and use a decent headset instead (IMO) 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

I slackened the bushes and headset. It still felt ‘odd’ to me

I found offset bushes (20quid) did the job

Make your mind up.

remoterob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t fit bushes because they’ll lower the bottom bracket more than fitting a WC headset.

The Works Component headset is not comparable to a FSA Pig in cost or quality. Firstly it is UK made and for a niche market, so of course it costs more. Secondly it uses sealed bearings in machined aluminium angled headset cups.

renton
    Free Member

I dont understand why people think they have altered the head angle by fitting longer forks??

yes ok it does before you sit on the bike etc but surely even with longer forks set to the correct sag it would still have the same head angle??

EDIT… Just to whet the OP’s whistle….

2010 xl 5 spot !

hora
    Free Member

johnners oops I meant I find offset do the samething as a h/set.

granny_ring

Good recovery!

Gary_C

Just be aware that the 2009 model year 5 Spot suffered from cracks in the frame in two specific areas.

The ‘taco’ that braces the top tube to the seat tube was prone to cracking on the welds where it joined the seat tube. On the ’09 frames there was just a small weld on either side of the taco & these would crack. On the ’10 model year frames there was a continuous weld across the top of the taco against the seat tube.

The other area is where the bottom of the seat tube joins the alloy casting that houses the b/b. On the ’10 frames this was addressed with a triangular shaped gusset welded in.

My original ’09 frame cracked when 7 months old, but it was swiftly replaced under warranty with a ’10 one, & it’s still going strong.

hora
    Free Member

@ grannyring 😆 😀

neiloxford
    Free Member

This web site suggests moving from Fox 32 140 to Fox 36 160 does the following:

headset drops 69 to 67.4 (down 1.6mm)
    seat angle drops 73 to 71.4 (down 1.6mm)
    wheelbase goes from 1125mm to 1137.6mm (increases 12.6mm)
    effective top tube 600mm to 605mm (increases 5mm)
    reach 425mm to 408mm (decreases 17mm)
    BB height up 12mm from ?
    Stack 607mm to 619mm (increases 12mm)

http://bikegeo.muha.cc/

renton
    Free Member

Neil I appreciate what you are saying but they will be static figures are they not.

When sat on the Bike with the correct sag surely you are only gaining 5 or 6 mm?

remoterob
    Free Member

15mm @ 25% sag

khani
    Free Member

The problem with the offset bushings is they slacken the head angle and the seat angle, the angle adjustable headset only slackens the head angle and leaves the seat angle as intended, that’s probably why it still felt funny to Hora with offset bushes,
    Head angle isn’t the be all and end all…

mildred

However for the price its slightly lower than the fsa pig headset simplicity/quality-end of headsets. 30quid less than a king headset. I found offset bushes (20quid) did the job without the grit/ingress issues that I found in the Peaks with it. Its basically two plastic inserts with 2xbearing races.
    Buy bushes and use a decent headset instead (IMO)

Nonsense. No plastic in my works components headset.

FSA pig doesn’t even come close in terms of build quality. I have a King headset in my other bike and a top end Acros sat in a drawer not being used because I’ve no need/desire/inclination to remove the Works Components headset that is as good as any other headset you can buy.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

it has a bit of a rep on this forum as steep

I have an 09 Flux, bought late 09.

I used to monitor the Turner forums when the dw-link bikes first came out.

The only person I have ever seen with the opinion that the 09 5 spot was flawed and too steep is Hora, the serial frame changer.

I read that Turner also did quite a bit of testing on those new dw-link models to make sure they were right – I am guessing that Dave Weagle and Dave Turner know a lot more than Hora about frame design and geometry and what makes a good riding bike…

My Flux slackened off an appreciable amount when I changed from 100mm to 120mm forks.

One of the probably reasons it became slacker in 11 is that it was too close to the flux, especially when they started fitting the flux with 120mm forks. And fashion.

Some of the 09 Fluxes cracked as well. Greg reckoned it was mostly people sitting down whilst riding the rough stuff, but if I send my frame to them they will make the changes to the later, non-cracking, version free of charge other than my shipment to them. Not sure what the charges would be on a 2nd hand frame though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I dont understand why people think they have altered the head angle by fitting longer forks??

Or anything 🙂 HA on a HT is fairly easy to measure & compare, on a full sus it’s a nightmare. Loaded or Unloaded, most bikes sit differently into their travel so the comparisons can go out of the window. Very few forks of the same travel have the same a2c so that can throw the lot right out – I have 3 forks all the same claimed travel with about 1.5″ difference in them.

Ride it as it comes and see what you think. Depending on how you build it you could have the “number” you want without changing anything. Then again that might not feel right 😉

hora
    Free Member

@turnerguy

Turner slackened the head angle on subsequent 5spots.

Apparently rather than admit it was ‘steep’ it was ‘because the way the market was going’.

You are right. I dont know owt- I just lucked in when the next years model was slackened by the manufacturer.

The older DW isnt a bad frame by any stretch but it became a better frame by evolution.

renton
    Free Member

Mine feels perfect with 150mm revelations!

Fwiw look forbade 2010 or newer!! 09 models had some issues with cracking on the bottom of the seat tube!

You can tell 2010 model as it will have a gusset behind the lower shock mount!

havinalaff
    Free Member

It was s 2009 and I was a bit unsure but following this thread I think I shall pass.

Thanks folks
    Rich

renton
    Free Member

Was it being sold on the classifieds?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Apparently rather than admit it was ‘steep’ it was ‘because the way the market was going’.

you are the only one I have seen call it steep – and I have ridden an 09.

The only issue I saw was that is was too similar to the flux, especially when people put 120mm forks on the flux – so riders on the turner mtbr forum that had both bikes would use their flux most of the time.

Plus there was the delay with the DHR, so maybe they tried to make the 5 spot closer to that market, and less of an XC bike.

Some of the 09 fluxes also cracked – gregg told me it was mostly because people sat down in the rough stuff. He has offered to add the requisite gusset to my 09 for free, apart from shipping to the states.

I test rode an 09 5 spot back-to-back against a trance X and the difference was quite large in how well the suspension worked.

hora
    Free Member

‘Maybe’

Not really being concrete there are you.

It subtly changed angles. I was either coincidently right or spot-on on the need for tweaked angles to make it even better.

Deal with it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Deal with it.

I don’t work for turner and so therefore don’t know the real reason, so have to say maybe.

So where is your proof that the real reason they slackened the angles was because it was too steep, and that they didn’t do it for other reasons?

the whole market has moved to slacker angles/shorter stems/wider bars, so why would they not want to tweak their bikes to keep with the current trends?

hora
    Free Member

Buy a 08 Patriot. All the shock sizes and positions that youll ever want/Need 😀

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Looks like the 5spot is still for sale then 🙂
    I

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘offset bushings with dw link 5 spot.’ is closed to new replies.