Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • offset bearings curious
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi all, i’ve a new shock on the way, so new mounting hardware required.

Fancy experimenting with offset bushings and changing some angles etc, just looking for thoughts/opinions, may put some 1 degree ones or, perhaps more?

Bike is listed as having (140mm fork)

HA 67.5
    STA 73.9
    BB height 338.5
    WB 1161

I have a 150mm fork on it now and will be putting a 200 x57 shock on it instead of 200 X 51, (i might have get it adjusted again to 51)

ta!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

😀

chakaping
    Free Member

You may not be able to go beyond 1 degree.

I think that’s all that could be achieved on my patriot anyway. Each bearing does a half degree iirc.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thanks, i think you can go to 1.5

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I used one in my Sultan’s lower shock mount to drop outs BB back down to where Turner planned it to be when I put a 140 fork on instead of 120. It also helped to rake the fork forwards a little. I can’t honestly tell much difference in the head angle, but the dropped BB height helps it to rail a bit better.

I would have used two, but the upper mount sees a lot of rotation and I wasn’t sure the bush would have stayed where I wanted it.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Try http://Www.offsetbushings.com. They’re quick and easy to deal with and are £20 a pair. Cheaper than Burgtec and TF Tuned so if you don’t like it (never found a bike that didn’t ride better when slacker) it’s not a lot of money. They also do regular ones as well

Tom KP

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes have looked at offsetbushings website , just wondering if it would totally mess up the geometry of the bike . Think I’ll just go for it

wilko1999
    Free Member

Seriously just go for it, it doesn’t have to be permanent. As mentioned above its not a lot of money for quite a change but its easy to change back. I fitted the ones from the offsetbushings website above to my Blur LTc and it made a noticeable difference to stability and inspired more confidence on steep stuff, albeit at the expense of a few more pedal strikes.

moff

Have you checked you’ve gor clearance for the additional shock stroke?

It may only be 6 mm but the rear wheel could be getting a bit close to the seat tube under full compression?

This clearance would decrease even more by adding in offset bushes.

chakaping
    Free Member

just wondering if it would totally mess up the geometry of the bike

Nah, it’ll be loads better!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@moff yes that’s one of the reasons that I may reduce it back to 51mm . I’ve read that the frame can take it , but of course will test , thanks for the heads up

Northwind

howsyourdad1 – Member

Yes have looked at offsetbushings website , just wondering if it would totally mess up the geometry of the bike .

Nah, it’s a minor geometry change, it can make it a bit better or possibly a bit worse. It could also mess with the suspension rates a bit but I don’t think that’ll often be noticable never mind problematic.

But yeah, check clearance first, and remember to take into account flex etc- my old bike had clearance for only 1 bushing, I thought it had 2 when testing in the garage but still whacked the frame parts together on a bigger drop.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ta all

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘offset bearings curious’ is closed to new replies.