Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Offset ?
  • jonundercover
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m Still trying to decide on new forks , I notice pikes etc come with different offsets? I have no idea what to buy as I currently have fox 150 32s on a stumpy evo 2011 . Any ideas ? What difference will
    The offset make ? Cheers

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Go for the 51mm offset. Much better. The theory is that if you increase wheel diameter the Trail is increased (well, either increased or decreased I forget which) which has the effect of making the steering feel slower. If you increase offset you counteract this and it speeds up the steering. The downside is that it slightly increases wheelbase, but the feeling of quicker steering easily overcomes that. I also got more of a flip flop effect from the front end – i.e. if you turn the bars you get a self-centring feel, but with the greater offset there comes a point where the bars suddenly switch from a self-centring bias, to a hard over bias. Not a problem, a bit strange to begin with but you simply get used to it.

For me the handling of the bike felt transformed going from 46 to 51mm offset.

I think Fox Forks are already 51mm offset anyway with RockShox defaulting to 46mm.

sheck

Assuming its a 29er, 51mm is a significant handling upgrade in my opinion. Gary Fisher did some different offset G2 forks for 26″ for a while and that on the other hand was detrimental and unnecessary

jonundercover
    Free Member

Thanks for the info both , forgot to say its a 26er .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Offset ?’ is closed to new replies.