Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Offroad LEJOG,Britain's GDR?
  • grizzer
    Free Member

Has anyone done the offroad LEJOG? Has anyone raced it or considered it? Most of the other end to end stuff has,I was thinking it could be done along similar rule's has the GDR/TOUR DIVIDE and maybe a website to log your result's!Any thought's?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance, but where would I find the offroad LEGOG route?

grizzer
    Free Member

MTB Britain site has a couple of article's on it and you can down load the GPS map ref's of the CTC site but need to be a member !

igm

Is it Land's End – John O'Groats?

And is it in that case LEJOG not LEGOG? Or even Le Jog for any people who want to add a confusing French feel?

grizzer
    Free Member

My mistake,sorry!

miketually
    Free Member

Would you not have to turn around and race back to get a comparable distance? 😉

grizzer
    Free Member

Yes you would to make it a similar distance but the LEJOG is a lot more technical,people like Matt Lee average about 17-18 mh on the Divide, not sure that could be done on the LEGOG,that's why I asked the question to see what other people thought about it!

miketually
    Free Member

Ride it as an ITT under "Curiak Rules" and set down a time. Let everyone know. Wait for challengers.

grizzer
    Free Member

That's the kind of thing I was thinking about but thought it's got to of been done allready! Is there a record ? It's been done on the road !

mocha
    Free Member

where are these rules listed?

grizzer
    Free Member

The rule's coud be the same has the GREAT DIVIDE RACE or the TOUR DIVIDE and there on ther website basically it's no outside assistance !

mocha
    Free Member

mentioned here – Curiak Rules

basically, No entry fee, No swag, No race numbers, No support of any kind, and No pre-ride meeting. Just show up if you want to and be prepared to ride self supported.

trail_rat
    Free Member

for route see http://trail-rat-racing.blogspot.com/2009/08/ctc-end-to-end-article.html

rescued from a CTC mag that one of my customers brought in.

paul78
    Free Member

A time needs to be set down for this route. definately alpine style.. i know a few very good riders are eyeing this up but someone needs to get on it.

sockpuppet

just need to ensure they pick a route that includes good trails, slightly longer than it might be if needed, rather than a racers route – yes i know it's meant to be raced on, but where's the harm in racing on good trails?

i'm not on about making it all really technical*, but fireroads for most of the way isn't really what it's about IMO

i'd love to have a go at it next time i get six weeks free!

* just noticed how 'americanized' i have become – my first thought was to type 'super-tech'. like.

samuri
    Free Member

The GDR will see people isolated hundreds of miles from civilization for days on end, you could do LeJoG and stop in a hotel every night dining on roast oysters and fizzy wine.

carl
    Free Member

Take a look at Rob Lee

s

s planning an end to end in 2010.He spoke a little about it in one of his entries a while back.
    This subject has come up before.Better to just go and do it if it tickles your fancy.

You could stop in a motel on the GDR most nights if you wanted to.Not sure about the oysters and fizzy wine though.GDR isnt as isolated as it might seem.

carl
    Free Member

that came out all wrong.Wanted to say take a look at Rob Lee`s seven deadly spins site.Its a great idea but the whole project doesnt seem to attract alot of attention.Hes planning an end to end in 2010.

igm

samuri – Member
    The GDR will see people isolated hundreds of miles from civilization for days on end, you could do LeJoG and stop in a hotel every night dining on roast oysters and fizzy wine.

One up for LeJog then

grizzer
    Free Member

I thought this one would be up your street paul!I'am definitely thinkin about it,I'am going to get some mile's in between now and the summer and see how am feeling,If good will give it a shot!

igm

One question – does carrying a credit card and sleeping in Travelodges count as unsupported?

grizzer
    Free Member

Like what was said before you can stay in hotel,B&B or camp!The point is to try and cover as much ground as possible, so you probibly be riding late at night or very early in the morning, so using a hotel might not be an option!

paul78
    Free Member

Never ridden any of this route so not sure it would be one for me… i know at least one of the Genesis team will be doing it:)

Would like to ride it for sure just not sure i'd wanna race it.

miketually
    Free Member

I think the logistics of something like this would be too much for me. Going to try C2C in a day this year though, hopefully, and am planning on getting my bivvy on.

whytebyker
    Free Member

Hi there. I read your post about LEJOG Offroad and thought you might like to visit my facebook group devoted to collecting up people keen to do the ride, or who have already completed it.

Personally I rode LEJOG Offroad in 2006, 23 days on the saddle, supported by a campervan and two cycling buddies. Awesome trip and I am very keen to do a re-run. If you have 23 days spare, can find at least three other riders who want to ride with you, then I would seriously consider arranging the ride, dealing with the logistics, etc. It's been on my mind for a while so I am happy to know you are interested and considering the practicalities!

Cheers

Gavin Rogers

Facebook LEJOG/JOGLE Offroad Group

druidh
    Free Member

What %age of the route is actually off-road?

Aidan
    Free Member

I'd be pretty interested in riding that.

The more bite-sized Sarn Helen Trail could make another good location for a GDR-style event. Given the distance, it could well be do-able over a weekend, which opens it up to more riders. I had considered suggesting something for the same weekend as Mayhem. Don't fancy riding round a field for 24hrs? Why not ride Wales in as long as it takes?

flatfish
    Free Member

hey Aidan, you and Emily doing the WRT again this year?

Aidan
    Free Member

We were going to, but an old friend's stag-do may clash with WRT so I don't know. It was good to see the article in ST this month… Fame at last 🙂

How about you?

whytebyker
    Free Member

I would estimate that we spent about 80% of our time offroad (although some of the longer trails were converted railway tracks or canalpath and therefore only offroad in the sense that they were not covered in tarmac). Given the distance to be covered these sections across the more boring bits of countryside meant it was possible to speedily reach proper bridleways and mountain trails

druidh
    Free Member

80%? I didn't realise it could be so much. Do you have a gpx file or similar?

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

The more bite-sized Sarn Helen Trail could make another good location for a GDR-style event. Given the distance, it could well be do-able over a weekend

LOL! Took three of us 7 days of bloody hard riding, staying in B&Bs. None of us were slouches either. First day took 10 hours…. I suppose you could give it a go though.

DickBarton

I reckon the complete offroad route (which works out at approx. 1200 miles) could be done in 10 days for people pretty fit – if you were race fit then I reckon you could do it in 9 but it would be a serious attempt.

120 miles offroad each day – the route suggested on the CTC site sounds fine but it will be very tough. CTC link here.

I'm using it as a target for 2011 as I fancy giving it a bash. For some bizarre reason, I don't see the appeal of taking my time to ride the distance – saying it took me 4 week to ride it just seems very flat (in my head I reckon anyone and everyone could do the ride if time wasn't an issue). However, putting a time limit on it seems to appeal to me…and I don't know why as I'm not in the slightest bit competitive.

Anyway, I was thinking of trying to get myself into some sort of shape for an attempt next summer…in 10 days to cover the 1200 miles – but I'm incapable of surviving 40 miles just now so there is a shed load of work to be done to even get close to doing this…

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Been thinking about doing it on the road but off road…. Not sure the A*s crack could take it!! 😆

flatfish
    Free Member

Aidan – Member
    We were going to, but an old friend's stag-do may clash with WRT so I don't know. It was good to see the article in ST this month… Fame at last
    How about you?

I'm in, pink ticket booked already.
    Shame you two won't be there, si & anthea won't be there either as anthea is up the spout!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I will check out your facebook whytebiker, I'm well up for doing this one day.
    I like the idea of taking time to do it myself. Say a month or so. It looks like a fantastic way to see some of the best bits of our beautiful country 😛

whytebyker
    Free Member

onion – Premier Member

I have a gpx file of the whole route available and if you join the group on facebook I'll be able to send it via there.

LEJOG/JOGLE Offroad on Facebook

bikemad74
    Free Member

hi there i'm planning to do lejog offroad in september i have a total of 20 days this includes travelling to lands end and back from john o'groats so will have 18 days to do the riding an average of about 66miles per day if anyone has any ideas on how possible this is please let me know i will be doing it on my own as no-one else i know is either mad enough or can get enough time off . . . . . . .

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Offroad LEJOG,Britain's GDR?’ is closed to new replies.