Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Offline route planning for Garmin
  • tjg04
    Free Member

I’m heading off to camp in France/Spain with the bikes and my ever trusty Garmin 800. I normally use bikeroutetoaster or similar to plan out a suitable loops avoiding dead ends, dual carriageways etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for planning routes without internet access? I know I could plan routes ahead of time, but I don’t know exactly where I’ll be camping until I get there. I’ve got Garmin’s basecamp software but it’s prohibitively clunky. So I’m looking for software with bikeroutetoater, ridewithgps type functionality, that I can download before travel.

scotroutes

Basecamp works for me, especially as it will use the maps stored on my Garmin.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

basecamp is pretty good IMHO plus 1

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Not sure why you would need to plan routes

avoiding dead ends, dual carriageways

The garmin will auto route avoiding them if you have set it in the GPS. I would just set the destination and let it auto route me there? You can even ask for fastest, less climb etc etc all on gps. I have used my garmin just as your proposing in France didnt need to plan a route just the name of where I was going. It was perfect for a weeks cycling moving on each day

tjg04
    Free Member

Thanks for prompt replies. I will persevere with basecamp. TBH didn’t find it immediately intuitive and gave up.

Pawsy, think we’re doing slightly different things. I will be driving to campsites, leaving the other half lounging by beach/pool/bar whilst I do some riding. If I just pick a random town or POI on the Garmin, it’ll just route me there and back along the same path. I’d prefer to pick out some interesting looking climbs, villages and the like and link them into a loop.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Offline route planning for Garmin’ is closed to new replies.