Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Offline OS map route planner to gpx file thingy?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Anyone know if there is a good offline route planner for the pc, preferable with OS mapping, where you can plot a route and convert it to a gpx file for use on a gps device? Or is this sort of thin only available online?

I use viewranger which has a fairly good online route planner but I can’t see a way of exporting as a gpx file for use on a different device such as a dedicated gps rather than a mobile – if anyone knows how to do this please tell?

I have a satmap which uses it’s own online planner but it’s impossible to use on my notebook which I have with me as a lot of the icons and menus are off the screen and can’t be accessed.

So, simple planner, then export as gpx file to my pc to load onto my satmap is all I’m looking for!

otsdr
    Free Member

Garmin Basecamp with Openstreetmap map pack ( http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ ), you can use the autorouter between some waypoints then alt+drag the route to suit your needs. The route can then be converted to a track and exported as GPX.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I use Memory Map. It’s from about 6 or 8 years ago and the map files are about 12GB – so not exactly simple! Anything with OS Maps is going to have fairly large file sizes, and unless you get them off a naughty website they’re probably very expensive too.

cp

and unless you get them off a naughty website they’re probably very expensive too

Memory map is fairly cheap at the mo… £50 quid for the UK in 1:50 SD or 60 quid for HD.

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah Memory Map will do exactly what you’ve asked for. However it doesn’t auto follow roads when plotting a route, you have to put all your own track points in. You’ve not asked for that even though you don’t know you might want it 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

use basecamp with OS maps now.

Tried OSM but for the areas i ride in there is too much data missing- important stuff like land rover tracks….. – along with lots of data i dont need in large fonts – such as hill and river names…..

whisky711
    Free Member

Trail Rat, you can turn the level of detail down in Basecamp so it won’t show river names, etc. Won’t solve the data missing from the OSM maps though! As they’re open source can you submit paths/bridleways to them for inclusion on later versions of OSM?

otsdr
    Free Member

There’s no need to submit anything, you can edit the map yourself; upload the GPX after a ride, trace out your favorite trail based on the track, hit Save.
    I think requesting a new map from garmin.openstreetmap.nl will include the latest version of the data.

mjr31
    Free Member

I plan routes on viewranger and upload them to my Garmin. You just mark out your route and save it. Then you need to go to “routes & Tracks” > “my routes” , click on the one you want and there should be “print to pdf” & “Export to gpx” in the top left hand corner. select export to gpx and it will download onto your pc,. Then just copy it onto your device. I have the north of england OS 1:50K on an sd card that I bought for about £20 a couple of years ago. Although the card is in the phone it syncs with your account and you can select the maps on the pc.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions I’ll look into them.

mjr31, as I’ve already got viewranger I thought I’d have a look and A’HA, there it is, found it but it took a while, so I can export as gpx – now all I have to do is find where it saved to, didn’t give me a folder option it just saved it 😐

FieldMarshall

Ive switched to OS Maps from memory map.

About £18 for the year. But it gives you access to the whole of the UK 1:25 & 1:50 plus a load more scales.

You can download maps onto your phone etc for use offline.

Plus you can also use on your PC for creating routes etc.

There was a thread on here a while back.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Offline OS map route planner to gpx file thingy?’ is closed to new replies.