Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Offline Maps For HTC Wildfire S
  • aidenbradley
    Free Member

Toying with the idea of getting an HTC Wildfire S. I believe these are slightly crap, but I’m not really bothered about using it for browsing the net or playing music, but I thought it could be handy for saving maps on it, not really arsed about route planning software, just thought it would be better than carting around paper maps. Is this a valid idea? I am a complete luddite and know bugger all about phones. Is it possible to do this on such a thing? Will it cane the batteries? Can you view maps without being on the internet?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Don’t. Seriously don’t.

I had one on contract and it is a vile and useless bit of steaming donkey poo. Useless at mapping even offline as it falls over at the slightest insult.

avoid avoid avoid.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Actually, no you cant use it offline (was thinking of something else) as it locates on a map tile on a website.
    If you want that look at Nokias recent handsets, they have bought the rights to OS maps and you can use them off line. You may have to pay for a download although i have a free app on mine that allows me to view OS offline but via sat link.

CraigW
    Free Member

Depends on what sort of maps you want. There’s a few options for OS maps, eg Viewranger or Memory-Map. Though you have to buy the maps for these, maybe not cheap if you want a large area.

Or AlpineQuest and MM-Tracker can display maps in QCT (Memory-Map) format, if you get a copy of the maps somewhere…

Also quite a few free apps for OpenStreetMap. eg OsmAnd lets you download offline maps for the whole country.

For batteries, if you have the screen on all of the time it will use a lot of power. But it should be not bad if you just switch it on when you need it. Also if using GPS that will use the batteries more.

thorlz
    Free Member

The android app I use is Back Country Navigator. Cost around £7 if I recall, but it allows you to download OS maps and save them on your phone.

Download as much or as little as you want and not just this country either.

user-removed
    Free Member

I had Back Country Navigator on my Desire. It’s just bloody brilliant. Real time navigation despite poor GPS signal. It’s got me out of a few navigational holes.

I now have an HTC One and the bigger screen works very well with BCN. As above, you can download the relevant maps before you set off, if you feel you might be cycling in a forest…

mushrooms
    Free Member

You only have 512mb memory with the wildfire s which does limit it a bit.

user-removed
    Free Member

Just a thought – I have an HTC Desire S in very good condition (on which I ran Back Country Navigator) with two batteries, a car cradle and a leather case which I could sell you for £50 posted… Cheaper than eBay and does everything you specified in the OP.

timb34
    Free Member

I’m currently trying out a wildfire s with viewranger (and free opencyclemap tiles downloaded) – it let me down a bit yesterday, when I seemed to be outside the map area that I thought I’d downloaded.

GPS seems to be pretty quick, and pretty accurate, but I suspect that most GPS mapping apps are going to have the same limitations, namely the quality of the offline maps that you store. It’s probably worth paying for the proper national maps.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

The Wildfire S is very limited unless you root it and install link2sd which makes it just about usable. Get something with a bit more memory.

MarkSS
    Free Member

I run the free version of Maverick on my Wildfire S. You’ve the ability to download OS maps 1:50K & 1:25k either on the fly or at home using your wireless connection.

So when I know I’m going somewhere new I’ll just fire up the app at home and scroll around the area to download sufficient map tiles over my Wifi connection – you’ll need to do this for each zoom level. When you get to the ride location fire up the app and the GPS will show where you are no need for a mobile signal (assuming you’ve done the map tile predownload).

Obviously a paper map & compass are a worthy backup when you are really in the wilds.

headfirst
    Free Member

Backdoor Country Navigator +1.

The most expensive app I’ve bought but still more than worth it for the price of one paper OS map.

you’ll need to do this for each zoom level.

Not with BCN you won’t, chose area, select degree of zoom and it does the rest for you. It is ace.

blastit
    Free Member

Just a thought – I have an HTC Desire S in very good condition (on which I ran Back Country Navigator) with two batteries, a car cradle and a leather case which I could sell you for £50 posted… Cheaper than eBay and does everything you specified in the OP.

If op not interested and its on orange (I need signal boost) I would be interested
    Si

buck53

Sorry for the slight hijack but does Back Country Navigator let you import and follow gpx files? Have had a look at Viewranger but can only find options to create routes as I travel.

timb34
    Free Member

With Viewranger you have to create a free account, then you can upload gpx files to the my.viewranger website, then synchronise with your phone (simpler than it sounds).

I’ve got that far, but not actually tried following one yet!

Oh, and the comment I made above about the maps – actually I was being a muppet. I wasn’t using the OpenCycleMap map tiles I’d carefully downloaded, but looking at cached OpenStreetMap mapping, which is why it went fuzzy round the edges of where I’d been.

aidenbradley
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Blastit, already gone for a desire, just before your post. Cheers anyway.

johntraveller
    Free Member

I have HTC Wildfire S for 1,5 year.
    It worked well with 4GB memory card until I dropped it from the 3rd floor)
    However, to be honest I’m not going to buy smth like that again.

About offline maps, there are lots and lots of!
    I use MapsWithMe Pro. And even 512 MG was enough for 5-6 countries. What I do really love about this app – its offline search and POIs.

BTW, is BCN really so good?!
    I never tried, but consider the price to be too high for an app.

captaincarlos

Orux Maps lets you do offline and online (for when you forget) mapping with a variety of providers including OS. It also does recording/following tracks and all sorts of other stuff.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Offline Maps For HTC Wildfire S’ is closed to new replies.