• This topic has 58 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Office "workers" bleating on about how hard they work.
  • wwaswas

Office work isn’t necessarily well paid or more comfortable than non-desk jobs.

hence the ‘can earn you more money’ rather than a ‘does earn you more money’.

there’s a spectrum for most employment in terms of salary v comfort at work v job security v enjoyment.

People choose (sometimes and if they’re lucky) how they want to balance those elements.

RustySpanner

72 hours last week.

I need a rest.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Work in Hospitality/Events – done the whole 12-18hr day, and do it again tomorrow still smiling shit. Also did nightshift. Got to the place in time now where I’m paid for what I know and not what I do, somesay job is a cushy number I wouldn’t disagree. Bored shitless most days though…

peterfile
    Free Member

I always feel like the point of these threads is for people to laugh at office workers and say

“ha! we work harder than you and for less money!”

erm…well done you? 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    Luckily for me I have been taking the apocalypse far more seriously than I do my day job
    You’re not the only one. Whenever i’m googling for reviews of outdoor equipment, I always come across videos on youtube of people who are “preparing” for something very bad to happen. It’s actually quite scary, there seems to be a whole community of them, stashing weapons/tools/food etc and practising drills. Mostly american mind you

ha ha.. them ‘mericans are ace.

konabunny
    Free Member

I always feel like the point of these threads is for people to laugh at office workers and say

“And you’re atrophying under strip lighting and surrounded by polyester and plastic”.

Houns

build refrigeration

I’ve been to some cool places

I’d blimmin hope they were cool 😛

seosamh77
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    72 hours last week.

I need a rest.I rather be a peasant than work that many hours!

lemonysam
    Free Member

I rather be a peasant than work that many hours!

I just don’t think I could work those hours. I’d do even less than I do now.

sbob
    Free Member

peterfile – Member

erm…well done you?

The plus side is that the manual worker hasn’t become completely emasculated.
    Seriously, the stench of oestrogen in here can be a fraction stifling.
    😆

mattbee

I may work harder but I bet I don’t earn less than many office workers so I’ll stick to feeling happy about my choice of career…

lemonysam
    Free Member

but I bet I don’t earn less than many office workers

That is of course the only important yardstick of success.

peterfile
    Free Member

That is of course the only important yardstick of success.

Definitely not a yardstick of success, but for most it’s the only reason they give up most of their waking hours to work.

ourmaninthenorth

The trouble with the protestant work ethic is that it’s so terribly po-faced.

Lighten up people!

My ‘office job’ certainly wasn’t 9-5 and did involve site work too – it was a reasonable salary of £40k+, company car and other benefits. To a degree I was my own boss and ended up in my position as a Contracts Manager from initially being out on site as a skilled op and working my way up.

In the end it ground me down, partly due to myself and the way I managed things, but largely due to the actual working environment. I’m now back doing what I do best and wouldn’t go back. Fortunately, I am now my own boss of two businesses and I get paid very well for standing in a shitty hole at the side of the motorway.

Downside – the supervisor working for the company I work for spent half the night covered in blood, helping walking wounded whilst the emergency services attempted to cut a mangled lad out of a car that had come through the works and rolled 50mtrs down the motorway on it’s roof. Not sure how he, or his pregnant g/f are doing – here’s hoping they are going to pull through 🙁 Fortunately none of the gang working nearby were injured, but it’s a dangerous environment.

peterfile
    Free Member

You’re not kidding OMITN

hooli

I am a desk jockey and some days I would love to be outside doing something a bit more manual. In reality I think if I did that I would long to be sat in a warm office drinking good coffee.

My answer is to not let work rule my life and to do fulfilling things outside of work.

Travis

Sort of an office job here, but spend 70% of my time travelling to other countries rather than working.

I think I’m starting to go through a mid life crisis, and I’m wanting to retrain.
    I’m in the 40’s, would you?

Drac

No not in my case.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Office "workers" bleating on about how hard they work.’ is closed to new replies.