• This topic has 58 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Office "workers" bleating on about how hard they work.
  • Everyone knows it’s not proper work.
    Sitting at a desk all day, except it’s not all day is it ? It’s 9 to 5 with an hour for dinner and frequent visits to the water cooler.
    If you don’t like it, get a proper job, digging ditches or shoveling coal or something.

scotroutes

Tougher than sitting under a bridge all day

slackalice
    Free Member

Don’t worry, come Armageddon, shuffling bits of paper and tippy-tapping out stuff on a keyboard won’t have the same value as they do presently 😉

binners

How dare you dismiss my essential contribution to a functioning and well rounded society?! Have you the remotest idea how hard it is to not go over the black lines with the felt tips when you’re colouring in? Have you?

You haven’t got a clue how difficult is is! I’ve never been so insulted in all my life!

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve had manual jobs. I’ll take skivving half the day anytime! 🙂

BTW manual jobs aren’t particularly difficult either. Couple of weeks and youre tuned into it.

batfink
    Free Member

likewise, took 3 mins out of my arduous day of pressing buttons and talking to people on the phone to find this:

user-removed
    Free Member

Nurses, financial analysists, photographers, cheese-makers. We’re all a bit lazy.

Trolling aside, I’d love to bring an overworked office worker out to try my job – at night, at the side of the motorway, in freezing temperatures and all weathers. I’ve done the office nonsense and give me some of this any day though…

Untitled by davetheblade, on Flickr

Untitled by davetheblade, on Flickr

oldgit
    Free Member

Agreed 9-5 is a bit outdated, always thought it odd that I start work two hours before the office opens.
    Then they can go to lunch for a whole hour at the same time every day and no one misses them.
    Then they leave 5pm on the dot.
    If you have a job you can stop just like that?

jekkyl

I’d say my job is roughly 30% doing stuff and the rest of the time fannying about on the Web.

Drac

I’ve done the office nonsense and give me some of this any day though…

Everybody everywhere loves jumping in muddy puddles.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

to be honest I had a meeting this morning, then dropped the missus at work went to pick some stuff up and have a cup of tea at the LBS, caught up with a few e-mails had lunch played a bit of skyrim then sorted out my flights and hotels for a work jolly next week.

I only put down the 4hrs of work on my invoice though.

Part Time is such hard work…

mt
    Free Member

It’s hard work reading the forum all day. I’m paid way to little for the job.

mattbee

I feel sorry for them. Poor things, all I do is hang around for the day then bugger off home…

konabunny
    Free Member

Agreed 9-5 is a bit outdated, always thought it odd that I start work two hours before the office opens.

Weird that I show up at the office two hours before I start working…

Drac

I agree poor things I had to drive one of these most yesterday at high speeds.

Luckily after 9 hours on it I was allowed a break and then another 40 minutes before I was due to go home.

wallop

I wish my office job was 9-5 😥

mssansserif
    Free Member

Should have stuck in at school…

Don’t hate the players hate the game 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

Trolling aside, I’d love to bring an overworked office worker out to try my job

I’d just delegate the job back to you. Good point though, your job looks awful compared to mine.

aP
    Free Member

According to some of the consultants I work with I only work gentlemen’s hours, and choose the colour of the wallpaper. What’s not to like?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Office worker here. I work 9.45-5.45 because I’m no good at getting up in the morning. I usually knock off a bit early because I’m tired too.

wwaswas

[devil’s advocate]

People who haven’t worked out that selling the product of your brain can earn you more money in less time and more comfort than selling the product of your labour and then come on here bleating about it need to think about where the problem really lies.

[/devil’s advocate]

to be honest, I find myself more tired after a day working at a desk than I do after a day doing physical work. It’s not the same tiredness but it’s more pervasive.

The need to ‘switch off’ and do something is really strong and working at home means that opportunity is limited as I tend to go straight from my desk to cooking tea etc with now downtime that you’d get on even a short commute.

tazzymtb

I have the fun of all of it..some days in the office some suited and bootted with clients or regualators and then other days doing mental hours on jobs and in situations that most folks would either poo themselves doing or vomit..mix of dangerous heights..confined spaces..explosuve atmospheres..and then on a good day..bits of person in a bag. And unlike the pure manual workers anf a lot if the standard office bods. .I haven’t had a holiday or day off in the past 18 years where I haven’t also ended up working at some point, or doinf a quick bit of consultancy for a major client…you lot don’t know you’re born…I tell ya 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

To be fair, I’d be probably pretty bored in a job that I could be trained for in a year or two, not all of us want to do mind numbing manual work in the pissing rain, some actually enjoy doing stuff with their brainz (like surfing troll threads on a bicycle website).

Agreed though, when it all goes a bit Walking Dead, fixing stuff will be a far more important skill than anything you can do from a desk. You only need to look at the fact that all world leaders came from manual job backgrounds to understand how well those skills transfer into a high pressure environment

Pre Apocalypse , Boss says = “You there, fix that”
    Post Apocalypse, Tribal leader (prob not a sparky himself) says = “You there, fix that”

Roll on the end of the world when we see the true worth of the non office working heros 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

Luckily for me I have been taking the apocalypse far more seriously than I do my day job… So hopefully my cisco qualifications that I use for work won’t haven’t impaired my other skills. But then I probably only do 10 hours of work a week the rest is spent preparing for impending doom.

br
    Free Member

Previously I had a hard ‘office’ job. Out at 6am and back at +7pm a couple of days a week with the rest been earlier/later and hotels plus constant travelling (ie couple of flights per week and 100 mile return trip commutes and w/e’s away in far off places).

Often on the phone when I left home (with Asia) and when I phone come back (USA). And managing/leading over 50 staff plus reporting many projects to a plc Board. But I enjoyed it.

I’ve an easy office job now. Easy as it’s public sector so short hours and plenty of holidays. Bloody hard on the brain, ie mental stress of constantly dealing with chaos and folk who’ve no idea how to do their jobs. My team are good though and my direct Boss is good (younger and learning all the time). This job makes me want to retire…

jam-bo

Who said a job has to be hard?

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve done crappy manual jobs in the past. As someone else said, once you’re tuned into them you can switch off and do them like a robot. Skilled manual work I’ve never tried but I didn’t like the unskilled type enough to want to try to make a career of it.

peterfile
    Free Member

Luckily for me I have been taking the apocalypse far more seriously than I do my day job

You’re not the only one. Whenever i’m googling for reviews of outdoor equipment, I always come across videos on youtube of people who are “preparing” for something very bad to happen. It’s actually quite scary, there seems to be a whole community of them, stashing weapons/tools/food etc and practising drills. Mostly american mind you 🙂

Houns

Eeewww Drac drives a white BMW. Chav 😛

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Bearing in mind the average salary on here:

I have been most miserable at work earning £10 an hour, 12 hours a day to put up fences or being a drayman. Only body work

I have been happiest at work earning £8 an hour on a 40 hour week doing an excellent stock control job- mind and body work.

Now I get minimum wage in a body only job while working on getting another brain and body job.

I get the feeling from these threads that it’s very much “look at me, look at me”.

Poor you. It could be worse.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like working with my hands to be honest. My brain isn’t so sharp so a bit of graft during the day gives it some downtime. I guess what I do is the right balance for me. There can be a few hours of boring graft, followed by a few hours of more crafty stuff that requires concentration and creativity. If I had a job where I was either completely knackered every day physically or struggled to “switch off”, I’d change it. I struggle with taking orders from someone so just keeping things between me and my clients (who are my boss anyway) works fine.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR, you’re right, I wouldn’t have a clue. I’m not qualified to. As such, I doubt very much you’re qualified to do what I from the comfort of my warm office with tea and coffee on tap and a pretty receptionist.

DezB
    Free Member

Ok, so this is a response to the “teachers” thread, but he’s right you know.

freeagent
    Free Member

You won’t hear me bleating on about how hard my office job is..
    I’m a project manager for an Engineering department who build refrigeration kit for Navy Ships and Submarines.
    I’m out of the office one or two days a week, and mostly enjoy the job.. every day is different, and I’ve been to some cool places and work with some interesting people.
    I generally work 8.30 – 4.30 so get home in good time to see the kids before they go to bed.
    The pay is reasonable, better than I’d get if I was still on building sites/doing manual jobs that I spent 12 years doing previously.
    Plus I’m not out in the cold/wind/rain/snow.
    In fact it was standing on scaffolding in a gale about 11 years ago that made me decide to go back to Uni, get a proper qualification and get a career rather than a job.

Oh, and I’ve got a white BMW as well 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m supposed to do a ‘professional day’. This generally seems to include 3 hours of commuting and eating lunch at my desk and trying to leave before 6pm without causing too much tutting. Unemployed now but trying to find more of the same for some reason.

DezB
    Free Member

The only stres I’ve ever felt from all my jobs is either due to the idiots I’ve worked with (bosses in particular) or not having enough to do (ie. boredom).

Drac

Eeewww Drac drives a white BMW. Chav

Not by choice, it’s bloody awful.

footflaps

I’d say my job is roughly 30% doing stuff and the rest of the time fannying about on the Web.

You need to join a union, 30% is way too much.

konabunny
    Free Member

[devil’s advocate]

People who haven’t worked out that selling the product of your brain can earn you more money in less time and more comfort than selling the product of your labour and then come on here bleating about it need to think about where the problem really lies.

[/devil’s advocate]

Are you posting from 1956 or something? Office work isn’t necessarily well paid or more comfortable than non-desk jobs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Office "workers" bleating on about how hard they work.’ is closed to new replies.