Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Office 2013, worth the upgrade from 2007?
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

Have the opportunity through work via the Microsoft Home Use Program service, to upgrade my home PC from Office 2007 to 2013 for just under £9. There seems to be conflicting views as to whether the upgrade is worth it; any thoughts, realworld experiences please?

JoeG
    Free Member

13 has the newer style menus. That could be good or bad; depends on your preferences.

Otherwise, I think that Sharepoint was one of the big selling points to the newer Office versions. But I don’t know many that use Sharepoint at home…

badgerbater
    Free Member

Thanks. Doesn’t sound like its worth it for any noticeable benefit for home use.

edlong
    Free Member

They’ve changed the chuffing menus AGAIN??!?

I’m still relearning from the transition to post 2005, someone tell me it’s not becoming a regular ‘feature’?

scruff9252

I upgraded and I like it for the £8.95 I paid for a legitimate copy. If I had to pay real money then no.

There are a few subtle refinements but the default white heading bars are awful. Only take a few moments playing with settings to change colour scheme though.

footflaps

Runs slower than 2010 especially Excel. If you’re number crunching, go with 2010.

jfletch
    Free Member

2010 is better the 2007 as they have refined the ribbon concept a bit after its debut in 2007.

So I’d be getting 2013 to get rid of 2007 rather than as a set up from 2010.

brassneck

Worth upgrading as at least you stay current and learn a bit at home. Wouldn’t pay real money though, don’t use 10% of the features of any version of Office myself.

davidrussell
    Free Member

I believe Office 2013 is a single pc license thats not transferable, so if your laptop goes pop you can’t transfer the license.

I’m just off to check this though. I think Office 365 allows transferable licenses but it costs a monthly payment for this so not worth it if you can get a copy for £9 or so.

EDIT – not quite as severe as i believed, but the “one user” reference is a bit odd.

The Office 2013 suites are now media-less in developed markets. Customers can use a 25-character product key to activate Office 2013 suites or Office 365 SKUs on an existing PC that meets Office system requirements.

The Office 2013 suites will have media (DVD, a 25-character product key, and a quick start guide) in emerging markets.

Office 2013 suites include:

Office Home and Student 2013

The latest Office applications—Word 2013, Excel 2013, PowerPoint 2013, OneNote 2013
    One user, one PC
    Transferable license*
    Non-commercial use rights

Office Home and Business 2013

The latest Office applications—Word 2013, Excel 2013, PowerPoint 2013, Outlook 2013, OneNote 2013
    One user, one PC
    Transferable license*
    Commercial use rights

Office Professional 2013

The latest Office applications—Word 2013, Excel 2013, PowerPoint 2013, Outlook 2013, OneNote 2013, Access 2013, Publisher 2013
    One user, one PC
    Transferable license*
    Commercial use rights

Office Professional 2013 available via Digital Download.

* You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you, but not more than one time every 90 days (except due to hardware failure, in which case you may transfer sooner). If you transfer the software to another computer, that other computer becomes the “licensed computer.” You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement before the transfer. Any time you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer and you may not retain any copies.

source linky

footflaps

I believe Office 2013 is a single pc license thats not transferable, so if your laptop goes pop you can’t transfer the license.

Depends how you buy it, they have loads of different versions. We have tar balls on a server and I can just install / uninstall any version on any machine and license it in seconds (all legit).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Office 2013, worth the upgrade from 2007?’ is closed to new replies.