• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Offered job – but have to apply again…
  • Lifer
    Free Member

Applied for a job back in October, when arranging interview it turned out it was maternity cover only so I said sorry no good. They phoned back and said there was a permanent position coming up so would I like to interview for that? Went along a couple of weeks ago and had a really good interview.

Phonecall last week to say I’d been successful but they haven’t advertised the role so it has to go on website, jobs sites etc and I just have to apply again (no need for another interview).

So I’m now stewing until the end date of the new advert (a couple of weeks to go) because I’m guessing there’s nothing to stop them selecting someone else if they apply for this role?

Cougar

They’re following process I expect. There’s nothing to stop them hiring someone else, though it sounds like they want you.

stevied
    Free Member

Sounds like they’ve already chosen you for the role but have to go through the hoops to make it all ‘legal’.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

As above, just following due process. You are correct in saying that they could offer the job to someone else instead, that’s always the case until you’ve got a signed contract though.

Lifer
    Free Member

Yeah thought so…just my luck!

atlaz
    Free Member

Sounds to me like HR dropped the ball by just calling you before advertising and are arse covering.

spooky_b329

Or, just to balance out opinion a bit, someone already in the department thought they were up for promotion and when someone filled the job without the vacancy being advertised, kicked off and pointed out they hadn’t followed process. So I’d cross your fingers but the jobs not yours yet 🙁

mudshark
    Free Member

I’d been successful but they haven’t advertised the role

I’d take as that you’re good enough for the job but they have a window in which to see others and in theory someone could be better than you – if they do interview others they’ll have to justify who they take. Should be OK, you’re the benchmark now!

Lifer
    Free Member

Urgh, bloody waiting!

Lifer
    Free Member

Finding out at the end of the week…only been 2 months since I applied!

transporter13
    Free Member

Good luck. Would be a nice xmas present yourself

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Finding out at the end of the week…only been 2 months since I applied

NHS? Sounds like us!

Lifer
    Free Member

No not NHS but very big infrastructure.

Just had a phonecall – MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!!!!

😀

wwaswas

🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Mrs went for an interview last Monday (NHS) & by the time she got home the phone was ringing to say she’d got the job!

edlong
    Free Member

Sounds like they’ve already chosen you for the role but have to go through the hoops to make it all ‘legal’.

Glad this thread had a happy resolution before I saw it and the above comment – this happened to me when I was in a “temp-to-perm” job a few years ago – got told by the boss that the job was mine, then HR insisted, against my boss’s arguments, that they had to “go through the process” and then some other git got appointed!

(and being on agency terms, i.e. no entitlements whatsoever, the conversation went along the lines of “sorry, we’ve appointed someone else, can you clear your desk and we’ll pay you to the end of the day”)

Glad it worked out for you Lifer.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

happy christmas lifer 🙂
    this due process where jobs have to be advertised (even though someone has effectively got the job) is ridiculous. both for those in your position and also for the people desperate for a job, applying even though there is no realistic chance of a job. i guess it costs the company a fair bit too

Lifer
    Free Member

Oooof that’s harsh edlong, I was strung along for 6 months as a temp in a previous job. Every week it would be next week when the paperwork was ready to sign. Found another job and just stopped going in (agency terms as a weapon!)

But I was very pessimistic, knew I was going to find out today and as the morning went on I thought they were waiting until 4.45 to ring me and say ‘Sorry, but thanks’.

Chuffed to say the least, and thanks to everyone for indulging this week’s first world problem.

bennbuoy
    Free Member

Good job!

I’m patiently waiting for job to be advertised so I can officially apply for it. However already had interviews, job spec, etc and email saying I will get offer w/c 05 Jan.

Seems a waste of time for all parties concerned but hey-ho.

That said I am very concerned that the potential employer will offer to someone else……

Lifer
    Free Member

Thanks! Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking. Mind you, a pessimist is never disappointed!

Good luck with yours.

stever
    Free Member

Good for you, nice timing too. I’ve wasted an awful lot of mental energy chasing jobs meant for someone else lately. Happily sat in a new job now tho 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Congrats Lifer! 🙂

benz
    Free Member

Congratulations.

Although there are others who are now looking for a new job or will soon do so, it’s good to see others getting one.

Enjoy it!

Drac

Congrats well done.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Offered job – but have to apply again…’ is closed to new replies.