Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Off to Skye for a week in April
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

With my Wife and Dogs..

I’ve never been, but heard good things..

What are the things I’m not to miss?

vorlich
    Free Member

Boat trip to Coruisk and Sligachan on the bike.

sbob
    Free Member

Dry weather, from my experience. 😆

peterfile
    Free Member

I spend a fair bit of time on Skye…the weather last April was incredible. Dry, crisp and really sunny. The conditions on the Cuillin were perfect (if you’re into that sort of thing).

Where are you staying? If you’re mobile, a night or two down at Glenbrittle is a must do IMO.

Talisker distillery is a nice afternoon out, link it up with a spot of lunch in the Old Inn nearby.

We had a camper van up there for a few days last month. Worth driving all the way up and around the island, it’s not far. The north east coast has lots of features which are clearly signposted and are along a trail, only a short drive between each. Think there are around 12 in total and most are well worth a look. Kilt Rock is incredible.

Get down the south of the island too. Ardgarten is lovely and in such contrast to the north of the island.

Coruisk is an absolute must if you’re up for the trip. Get to Elgol and catch the boat over (that in itself is worth the drive!). Take a picnic and spend all day there. One of my favourite places on earth. Seriously!

scotroutes

Walk from Glenbrittle campsite into Corrie Ghrannda to get a good look at the mountain architecture.
    Coral beach near Dunvegan.
    Fairy Pools near Sligachan
    The view from Elgol.
    Kilt rock
    The Storr
    The Quirang

Pub crawl in Portree
    Food at The Three Chimneys (book now)

kcal

Quirang. hope for good weather 🙂
    Trotternish ridge walk if you can allocate a day – best if you can arrange transport to one end really.

Raasay.

down to Glenbrittle, up into the corries – Quioch (rock promentary from Highlander).

Biking – we really only did Raasay and the Sligachan / Camasunary out-and-back.

Walk to Coruisk from Elgol.

Don’t ignore the Sleat peninsula as well – ferry to Glenelg maybe.

times gone past I’d have spent around a fortnight or even more a year on Skye, all in – long weekends and weeks dotting about. on the day, it’s unbeatable. Snow ridge walking in October, not for faint-hearted.

arrpee
    Free Member

Sligachan Glen is a nice route on the bike. Most of the suggested routes have the return leg passing through a glen to the west of Beinn na Cro. This glen gets very boggy indeed (I was literally cycling up a loch at one point) and may be best avoided. The glen on the east side of Beinn na Cro might be a better option (what I’ve seen of it was more consistently rideable, but I haven’t travelled it’s whole length). Doing Sligachan as an out and back would be another solution.

Oh, and lunch or dinner at the Three Chimneys if you can get someone to watch the dogs.

Enjoy. Hope you get some decent weather; I know people who’ve been to Skye a number of times and still have no idea what the scenery’s like.

towzer

Picnic at Talsiker Bay (*on a nice day)

If you like otters – otter spotting (see hide N of Ferry) get there before dawn and hope for best – we got lucky

http://www.lochalsh.co.uk/glenelg_broch.shtml – further up dead end (was) an old showmans caravan working as a very basic tearoom – made me happy coz gran had two of these

Plockton – for the hustle and bustle! (train for wet days)

Drive Applecross/Torridon road (*on a nice day)

richmtb

There is loads to do on Skye, its a big island.

The Trotternish peninsula north of Portree is spectacular, just go for a drive and stop at all the sites. Dunvegan has a nice castle and does boat trips to watch seals and if you are lucky whales and dolphins. Near Dunvegan is Coral beach which isn’t to be missed on a sunny day.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Were Staying at Clachamish, And will have a car, so fully mobile..

Thanks for all the heads up!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Off to Skye for a week in April’ is closed to new replies.