Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Off to see a man about a dog…
  • Flaperon

More specifically, my neighbours who have two yappy hairy things that look sweet but have barks like sonic cannons. The last conversation didn’t go well with him maintaining his dogs have a right to bark in his garden and that it’s my problem.

Thinking of offering to buy them one of these:
    http://www.eurobarkcontrol.com/dog-silencer.htm

Hard to describe how miserable they make life – yapping about 6 feet from the bedroom window before 7am and then from 7pm – 11pm. If it’s sunny they’re left out all day and will bark at anything that moves or makes a sound, so doing anything in my garden is impossible. Phone call outside? No chance.

Sample from inside bedroom (admittedly with window open):
    https://soundcloud.com/fursty_ferret/aug-03-19-12-06-68434e61

Sounds stupid but reckon it’s beginning to have a noticeable impact on my health, having to get up at 3.30am some days after not falling asleep until past 11pm is making me tired and cranky, and life at home seems to be a nervous twitch waiting for the next bark.

Incidentally, at what point do you have to declare issues with neighbours when selling? Presumably any mention to the council and it becomes “formal”? I’m not actually particularly bothered about doing it – despite that fact it might make the place unsellable – but can easily see it turning into a mini-war with the dogs left out 24 hours with the council unable to act.

Will report back on the conversation…

badnewz
    Free Member

The last conversation didn’t go well with him maintaining his dogs have a right to bark in his garden and that it’s my problem.

He’s dead wrong on that.

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Deploy the tranquiliser sausage”

mrhoppy

^^ You are Bill Cosby and I claim my £5

cheekyget
    Free Member

Get some French bangers in….set them off every time they bark!!

Mind you they are probaly barking coz they want to go back inside

teef
    Free Member

This is the counter to all those threads about how great it is to have a dog – not necessarily for the neighbours it isn’t.

wombat

mrhoppy – Member

^^ You are Bill Cosby and I claim my £5

Brilliant 😆

Flaperon

This is the counter to all those threads about how great it is to have a dog – not necessarily for the neighbours it isn’t.

I think if you’re considerate to people around you it’s not a problem. I don’t care about occasional barking during the day / DIY / construction noise / cars / kids playing / etc etc.

But I think that barking is particularly bad because it wakes me up and stops me sleeping, and I think humans are wired to react to a bark with a fight or flight response, however small.

simon_g

Thinking of offering to buy them one of these:
    http://www.eurobarkcontrol.com/dog-silencer.htm

Can’t you just buy one and run it within your boundary? If he thinks his dogs have a right to bark, you have a right to blast ultrasonic sound back at them?

wrecker
    Free Member

Can’t you just buy one and run it within your boundary? If he thinks his dogs have a right to bark, you have a right to blast ultrasonic sound back at them?

Simon wins I’d say. Just pop it behind a hedge or something.

Flaperon

Had considered that but ultrasonic deterrents don’t work unless they have line of sight to the dog. So it won’t work behind a hedge and the only solution would be to mount it on the side of the house and point it directly into the garden.

Since it looks like a camera and he has kids that’s not a road I want to go down!

teef
    Free Member

Since it looks like a camera and he has kids that’s not a road I want to go down!

He don’t give a damn about you – why do you give a damn about him?
    Tell him you’ll take it down when he shuts the dogs up.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like a camera to me, and if he says “why have you got a camera” you can show him that it isn’t a camera. There’s no problem there at all.

binners

I feel your pain. Our new neighbours had a dog that just wouldn’t settle after their house move. It would bark constantly from when they left the house to them arriving back home. No let up, all bloody day. I work from home a lot of the time, and I was literally ready for killing the bloody thing!! It was driving me up the wall!

Its down to the owner. If they’re as stupid as the animals they so love to keep, which is often the case, then you’re in trouble. Mercifully our situation was resolved when our neighbours dogs very vocal distress then manifested itself in the mangy creature sinking its teeth into people, including me, and it was despatched to the great stinking dog shit alley in the sky. But even before the biting, our neighbours, who sound a lot more considerate than yours, had said the dog would have to go if the constant barking didn’t stop.

In your position, your neighbour clearly doesn’t give a monkeys about you, so if you have a solution then I’d get on with it, and if he’s got a problem with it, then adopt the same stance he has with you.

dbcooper
    Free Member

I feel your pain. try and be as nice as possible, but then its the soinc thing, maybe a set of effen loud speakers so you can blast the neighbours when you feel like it and get on to the council about noise control.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If he has a right to let his yappy little fekker of a dog make all that noise…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Isnt it odd how 99% of the problems are down to the owners not the animal itself.
    Personally if you exhaust the possibly of civilised discourse between you and the neighbour I’d be making an official complaint to the council and get them involved.
    It is not acceptable to have noise going on for that sort of duration and trying to say its you thats being unreasonable.

Saturday night we had some clown who left their dog outside all evening barking and I was ready to kill the bloody thing. It is not on and it is not acceptable.

I wouldn’t recommend getting into an arms race of noise with the neighbours, as things will get out of hand. Deal with it through official channels and take it from there.

Flaperon

Not answering the door. Oh well.

ElShalimo

Wee thru the letter box then

binners

Or torch his house? That’d sort it. 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKaqzvzlgKU[/video]

jon1973
    Free Member

Why don’t you get one of the devices you mentioned that emits the high pitch sound and stick it in your garden? You don’t need to tell them. If it does what it claims, the dog will stop barking and no one will ever know.

perchypanther
    Free Member

wombat

^^^^^^ Very good, took me a moment 😆

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

It is totally inconsiderate to leave your dogs outside barking at all hours. Even as a dog owner, I would report this as a noise nuisance if it kept happening and the owners refused to take any action. It’s bang out of order.

My neighbour’s dog didn’t settle after they moved in and she whined constantly when she was left alone, poor thing. Like binners, I work from home a lot, so it drove me bonkers. They ended up having the dog go to a pet sitter during the day so she wasn’t left on her own, it can’t be good for a dog to be in that much distress surely. They have told me they intend to start getting her accustomed to being alone in the house again but only for short periods to start with thank goodness and I am to tell them if she is very noisy.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Off to see a man about a dog…’ is closed to new replies.