Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Off to London tomorrow
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I am going to Canary Wharf for 10am.. my train arrives at Paddington. From Paddington should I:

1. Get the tube
    2. Get some kind of overland train
    3. Walk/cycle to the river and use that
    4. Just cycle all the way

…?

kilo

1 tube paddington to waterloo or baker street and change there to jubilee line to cw

Stuey01
    Free Member

Tube IMO. Jubilee line.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Cooee Mol! 😀

Fancy a pint later?

molgrips
    Free Member

National rail gave me some massively convoluted thing taking 2 hours.. doesn’t seem to make sense.

If I lock my bike up overnight at a hotel nearby, will I ever see it agian?

phil.w
    Free Member

5. cycle to the river – swim to Canary Wharf – then run into the office.

🙂

theteaboy
    Free Member

Depends how quick you want to get there.

Tube’s probably quickest but boats and buses in London are ace – you get great views and a much better feel for the geography. It’ll take a while though…

kilo

If I lock my bike up overnight at a hotel nearby, will I ever see it agian?

I wouldn’t leave a good bike locked anywhere unattended in London (in retrospect CW may be a better bet than most of London as it’s so heavily “policed”, get the hotel to store it

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Probably not Mol.

If your bike is worth more than your lock, it’s too spensive to lock up imo. 😀

Fancy a pint when you’re done, then?

Oh Tube from Pad to Baker St, Jubilee Line to CW, approx 30 mins.

clubber
    Free Member

Tube to Putney Bridge, cross over to the Putney Embankment, borrow a sculling boat, scull up to Canary Wharf

kimbers

do it in style

bakerloo line to embankment

20 mins
    then
    ferry to canary wharf 30 mins

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1131.aspx

molgrips
    Free Member

I must admit a boat ride sounds like more fun than a tube.

Elf – absoutely, I was gonna email you – I’m staying over night, looks like the Holiday Inn Express Limehouse is the best option.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Good Lord! 😯

Had you given me more notice you cooduv stayed at mine you numpty. As it is, the place is chocca with all sorts of woodworking paraphernalia and covered in sawdust. What a mess. No chance it’ll be all clear by tomoz. Silly boy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm the hotel don’t have a secure shed, she said the bike stands are right by the door though, lit and with cctv. Hmm.. it is ‘only’ the commuter I’d use.

Elf I would not want to impose 🙂 I’m there for the next six weeks or so it looks like…

nickf
    Free Member

Cycle.

My route would go (roughly) Paddington – Euston – Covent Garden – Smithfield – City – Tower – Canary Wharf. Not the most direct route, but you should do it in 30 minutes (depending on route, speed, etc), though you’ll be hot and sweaty when you do, so if you’re there for an interview, take the Tube.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Six weeks??? 😯

You can stick yer bike round mine if you want. It can go with all the other toot! 😆

Oh and I’d ignore Mr F, and go either via the Regent’s Canal (need to suss out how to bypass the Islington Tunnel mind), about an hour but traffic free, or down through Hyde Park, Mall, Traf Sq, Embankment, Tower Hill, Wapping or Cable St, Limehouse, CW. Going through the centre will be a nightmare unless you know the route.

molgrips
    Free Member

How far is your place from CW then?

It’s not an interview, but it’s a client engagement so I’ll need to be smart. I can’t think of a way to take my suit jacket on my bike tho without wearing it.

MrBlond
    Free Member

I live in Limehouse, and wouldn’t lock up a bike outside…

HTH

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m a mile away Mol! 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Grapes at 6 then MrBlond? 😀

MrBlond
    Free Member

You mean Gandalf’s? 😉

Tempting, although I have a stinking cold.

molgrips
    Free Member

So – biking’s out because of the security situation? That’s monumentally sh*t 🙁

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pends though Mol. If it’s a right nice bike, then it’ll be a risk of it being nicked. TBH any bike is at risk of being nicked really, as it would be in any big city, but the less ‘value’ it has, the better.

The racks at CW are reasonable safe, as there’s their own fake police patrolling, CCCCCCCCCCCCTV everywhere, and more coppers than in the whole of the rest of the borough…

MrBlond; yeah, I heard he’d bought the place! He best not change owt though.

Speaking of locking bikes up; he gave me a right dirty look one time when I was locking up at the racks opposite the Grapes and Bootys. Y’know the ones where some idiot lad crashed his car into?

I used to live on Three Colt St. D’you know the Urban Bar? Was right wild on a weekend, that place. Just 50m from me building though. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

It’snot CA I’m worriedabout, it’s the hotel overnight…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Cycle.

Easiest route is. Marylebone Rd- Euston Road -Pentonville Rd- Old st roundabout – Commercial Street -Aldgate – Commercial Rd -Turn right at the big tower. Much nicer route though back street but would be a pain for your first trip.

TheBrick
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    It’snot CA I’m worriedabout, it’s the hotel overnight..

Take you bike into the room. Just give it a wipe down with a rag before hand. You wear shoes inside so there should be no problem with tyres.

grantway
    Free Member

Molgrips welcome to East London Fella!
    Hope you have a large enough chain and padlock

il just use the rail system and bike round in the eve
    Sounds like a Greenwich pinter

grantway
    Free Member

Just get the Docklands light railway to Canary Wharf
    take about 10 to 15 mins the most.
    Thats from Limehouse to Canary Wharf

molgrips
    Free Member

Take my bike into the room.. hmm.. don’t fancy a big fight on my first day 🙁 I’ll speak to the hotel people.

OR.. I’ll have to buy a folder…

Stuuey

Tube won’t let you on with a bike during rush hour mind. Unless you have a folding bike.

grantway
    Free Member

OR.. I’ll have to buy a folder

I have a hacksaw and a Blum hinge you can have.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be on the tube if I had a bike now would I? 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve done it loads when it’s been raining, Jub to CW peasy.

grantway
    Free Member

Just how many of us are from East London on here?

Stuuey

Now here I was just about to invite you on a night ride…..

Giz a shout when you’re settled if you are up for it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Easiest route is. Marylebone Rd- Euston Road -Pentonville Rd- Old st roundabout – Commercial Street -Aldgate – Commercial Rd

Most straightforward, maybe. But he might possibly want to get there alive!

Unless you’re used to fighting with heavy traffic in a city as busy as London, a route like that will seem very daunting, terrifying even. I’d avoid that route, and I’m used to riding in London.

Greenwich is a possibility too Mol. Greenwich Union does proper lovely lovely beer. Actually some of the best beer around, imo. And Greenwich is nice. There’s a noodle place there that’s cheap and tasty. Or the Union does quite nice food bit pricier though.

Grantway, would you be up for a Greenwich pint then? I owe you a pint at least tbh, for all the woodworking advice you gave me! 😀

At the mo, it’s Narrow St, Wapping or Greenwich…

grantway
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I wouldn’t be on the tube if I had a bike now would I?

Just cycle to your digs

grantway
    Free Member

Grantway, would you be up for a Greenwich pint then? I owe you a pint at least tbh, for all the woodworking advice you gave me!

Mate no probe could give you a hell lot more just have to ask.
    Yea beer/Ale I’m in fella.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

OR.. I’ll have to buy a folder…

Buy one of these fropm decathlon in Surrey Quays, just one stop on’t Jubilee line from CW, use it while yer in London, then sell it to me once yer done here. 😀

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/b-fold-20-id_8186827.html#Product_information

molgrips
    Free Member

Grantway, the digs are a hotel unfortunately. This is the issue.. if they let me take a bike into the room then I’d be fine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Off to London tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.