Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Off to Highlands next week, is this the best Torridon route?
  • thedobbster
    Free Member

Never ridden Torridon before and want to ride the classic taking in Coulags to Annat.
    Am I right in thinking that the route is as follows;

Park Torridon, along A896 to turn off for loch clair, north side of loch clair, south side of loch coulin, continue on track until branching right onto what looks like singletrack on OS? to coire lair and down to Achnashellach station.

Then down road to Coulags, turn right continue straight up valley to bealach na lice and down to Torridon?

How much hike-a-bike is involved, I don’t mind at all but riding partner not so keen!

Cheers

hairyscary

This is my favourite route. Not a huge amount of hike a bike if you are fit.

https://www.strava.com/activities/193959884

bigjim

The lollipop route is good too https://www.strava.com/activities/159753753

bri-72

Bigjims loop but starting at coulags is our usual.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ben damh loop won’t be too hikey a bikey. If it’s dry should be able to cycle most of the up hill bit.

lochan fada out and back would be all cyclable, not technically torridon, but it’s a cracking spot up there at the loch. i wouldn;’t do the full loop if I were you, unless you are super human with large balls of steal! 😆 I’m not :mrgreen: so the loop was a horrible soggy slog for me! (I’ve never had to deal with so much water in my life, it was that wet!)

mtbguiding
    Free Member

I guided a group on the route you suggested 3 weeks ago – a lot of hiking to Bealch na Lice but brilliant riding. I think Hairyscary’s route is the same. I’m a fan of the Lollipop like Bigjim – the descent into Coire Lair is awesome and the climb from Anat a good challenge. Probably best done in good weather as it climbs a lot higher. Ben Damph loop is great too – kind of like the loop you describe but easier. It’s quite tough for it’s length though – don’t see it as an easy half day unless you’re seriously fit.

As an aside, anybody traced their way south east from Kinloch Damph over Bealach a Ghlas Chnoic? Wondering if it goes?

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Agree re the trail west Lochan Fada too. Great ride into the Loch though 🙂

singletracksurfer

The lollipop route does it for me. The climb from Annat is a good challenge.
    Ok, a very hard challenge, but you get to look at the view while catching your breath between attempts.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I prefer the classic to the lollipop. Maybe that’s just because I suffered on the climb from Annatt but I didn’t feel the addition to the descent was worth it for the effort involved, for me the best bit of the descent is lower down where its more technical.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve had some good chat with mtbguiding about this over email following this thread-

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/finest-torridon-routes-ideally-with-a-gpx-please

We have settled on the lollipop on one day and a route he has recommended into Applecross the other. The descent back to Annat is excellent. I’ve done the bulk of the climb before too and it’s pretty straightforward for a moderately fit rider.

Is half of STW in Torridon next week? We’ll be there Wednesday/Thursday- if you see four youths in a very big 90’s Peugeot Camper with some dubious facial hair come and say hello.

GavinB

Not sure about the riding, but saw a large group of walkers last weekend, walking down a footpath not marked on the OS map http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=186515%26Y=846960%26A=Y%26Z=120, and a quick check on Google Earth looks makes it look like something is there. If it ‘goes’ it would make a great loop, combined with something around Coulags.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

@GavinB can’t make that link work – any more info? few coordinates perhaps?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lollipop for maximum off roadness!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Will be doing the loop on Saturday @thedobster, when are you up there?

GavinB

Arse, it worked in practice. GR866469

It’s a path on the south side of Allten Eisg, which if you check on Google Earth shows up quite clearly.

thedobbster
    Free Member

All looks like good stuff to me! Can’t wait, think the trip is going something like; Laggan tomorrow, Aviemore Sunday, Golspie Monday, Lochinver Tues – Suiliven hike, Weds driving Lochinver to Kinlochewe so Torridon most likely Thursday before some Fort Bill trails Friday/Saturday. So if anyone wants to add any epic trails into that route – keep them coming!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Off to Highlands next week, is this the best Torridon route?’ is closed to new replies.